News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 wingcars for sale. Time to cash out?

Started by odcics2, February 20, 2020, 09:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on February 23, 2020, 06:05:13 PM
No one is questioning the provinance of the 88 car! I am saying that the same people who designed that car designed the third generation B body wingcars as well,and while the 69 Daytona was the best aero package the Superbird and the 3rd generation wingcars were very close in coefficient of drag,and I am sure had the program continued that the numbers would have been within spec. Gary researched the documents and picked the configuration that worked the best for each car,and made the 3/8 scale cars come to life in full scale form,in both street and race trim. No one else stepped up and did it. This is not a competition between the wing cars for some kind of supremacy award. He just picked up the ball where the engineers left off and made the rest of the story come to life in full scale. The people who did the wind tunnel testing of the 3rd generation 3/8 scale B body wingcars were able to be involved in the wind tunnel testing of the third generation full scale B body wingcars and were very happy to see their work come to full scale fruition. No one is rewriting the story here,rather it's more like filling in the final pieces of the areo cars story.

Just asked a simple HP question... Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

The 69 Daytona was done before Gary Romberg got involved.
He did work on the race cars in 1970, helping to get the cooling better.
His baby was the still born 1971 wing car program. 
I always thought the 71 cars with the complete aero front end was cool.
The front end started to drop over the front wheels, instead of just adding a cone on production fenders.
The complete aero front end involved new fenders, hood, rad support, radiator, lower nose, bubbled rear glass into a short deck lid, etc.   
Couldn't do it because of cost. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

chargervert

I don't know what the 71 Charger racecars horsepower is in its current configuration, but the 71 Plymouth has a used RP5 engine in it,and by used,I mean it was raced in a cup car at nine grand for a whole race.

djcarguy

Whats the name or info,on that land speed track or runway,they run on ?? seem to recall starts with a L an is northeast-ish USA ? have seen utube of the 3rd gen running ,but its been awhile.  cant the nascar engines be tuned for 750-850 HP ,iirc ???  I like these 3rd gens,an other old race cars,with wings.. :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mytur Binsdirti

That would be Loring AF Base near Caribou Maine

odcics2

The "1971" Dodge Daytona race car HP was.... (drum roll, please)

"Powered by a 980 horsepower/ 860 ft.lbs torque Indy Hemi, the car ran 190 mph in its debut at Maxton, North Carolina. Beineke crew is using a Moser Engineering stamped 8 3/4″ rearend with Trutrac and 2.76 gears to spin the rear wheels."  

As mentioned before they did improve on that to run 208 mph.

chargervert

That run was the debut run of the car with the standard street type front spoiler,Pam has gone faster than the 208 in that car. We are hoping to see you repeat the 200 MPH lap in the 88 car for the 50th anniversary of Buddy Bakers legendary run sometime soon.

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on February 24, 2020, 03:19:05 PM
That run was the debut run of the car with the standard street type front spoiler,Pam has gone faster than the 208 in that car. We are hoping to see you repeat the 200 MPH lap in the 88 car for the 50th anniversary of Buddy Bakers legendary run sometime soon.

Car is in paint now.