News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PETTY CHARGERs -Which one won the 1974 Daytona 500???

Started by odcics2, September 20, 2019, 07:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Last year Richard Petty sold his 1974 Daytona 500 winning Dodge Charger.

The latest MoPar Collector's Guide has a story about the 1974 Daytona 500 winning Charger
being discovered and is now restored.

Anybody shed more light or proof as to who is correct here??  I remember one car in Victory Lane, not two!

Any vintage pics to prove this one way or the other?    I'm sure there are third generation fans that would know.

:cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

So.....   No Petty Charger experts here???

I guess I can't understand why a real Petty Daytona 500 winning car would not be restored as such.
The car in MCG is restored to a combination that never was.  Should have left it as a Buddy Arrington Magnum!

73chgrSE

I thought Petty found and restored the car decades later.

Did they have back up cars back then like they do now?

odcics2

In 74 for example, Petty had speedway car, short track car and a road course car.
maybe a generic back up too.

They would build new cars for the next year. How many ???  Who knows!

In 1975 I was at the Firecracker 400, and saw Petty win.
At the Volusia Shopping Mall, there was a Petty Charger roped off on display.

Bottom line: there were a lot of "74" looking Petty Chargers over the 73 to 1977 timeframe.

That's 5 years of the same basic style.  So, maybe 15 - 20 cars total???   And he did build a few for other teams, like Woody Fisher in ARCA.

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on September 24, 2019, 06:35:28 AM

So.....   No Petty Charger experts here???

I guess I can't understand why a real Petty Daytona 500 winning car would not be restored as such.
The car in MCG is restored to a combination that never was.  Should have left it as a Buddy Arrington Magnum!

The car as reclaimed had been shortened up to be a Mirada or Cordoba, as I recall.    They had to put some toothpaste back in the tube.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on September 25, 2019, 02:52:48 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on September 24, 2019, 06:35:28 AM

So.....   No Petty Charger experts here???

The car in MCG is restored to a combination that never was.  Should have left it as a Buddy Arrington Magnum!

The car as reclaimed had been shortened up to be a Mirada or Cordoba, as I recall.    They had to put some toothpaste back in the tube.

That's understandable.  Have to do whatever you need to keep a car "legal" or to fit the latest body.