News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are muscle cars/classic cars making a come back?

Started by 73chgrSE, September 20, 2019, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like the market got soft since the days of "Pinks" and "Barrett Jackson's" peak. Is it back?

Yes
15 (60%)
No
10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 25

73chgrSE

I know 2 people selling their classics right now. 1 is a 66 coronet the other a 65 barracuda.

F8-4life

idk about that but it seems like mopar projects that are not total crap are getting more scarce on a steady rate.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

RallyeMike

It seems to me that things recovered from the recession period several years ago.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

What are softer are the cars from the 30's and 40's.  The 50's is stagnant right now but muscle cars are still strong.

73chgrSE

I remember when 57 Chevys were seen on the road a lot. Like back in the 80-90s. Now I don't see them much at all.

JB400

There's a guy at church that drives a different tri five every Sunday.

ACUDANUT

Classic cars are getting soft. Someone here posted a flawless Big Block 4-speed,red 69 in color for 35K.  :Twocents:
Try building one for that !!

Ponch ®

Quote from: JB400 on October 10, 2019, 09:49:03 AM
There's a guy at church that drives a different tri five every Sunday.

Matthew 6:19
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 73chgrSE on September 20, 2019, 12:30:38 PM
I know 2 people selling their classics right now. 1 is a 66 coronet the other a 65 barracuda.

If I owned both of those, I'd sell them too.

Kern Dog

I like the 66 Coronets.
The Barracuda? Not a fan. THIS one I did sell for $5000 in 2015...I only had about $900 in the build!

Kern Dog

Quote from: myk on September 21, 2019, 12:10:54 AM
?????

Didn't know they ever left?

Yeah...Maybe any pullback in the market may just be in your area. I see these cars still rising in price for even rusty projects.

Mike DC

QuoteI see these cars still rising in price for even rusty projects.

Yeah but 2nd-gen project cars don't get cheaper.  Ever.  A nuclear apocalypse wouldn't do it.  

Their prices don't indicate much about the whole market.  

73chgrSE

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 11, 2019, 02:39:03 AM
Quote from: 73chgrSE on September 20, 2019, 12:30:38 PM

If I owned both of those, I'd sell them too.

:smilielol:

The Coronet sold! He got 12K for it. 318 poly block

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JimShine

I only pay attention to second generation Chargers. They seem to be doing okay to me. $35K sounds pretty damn good to me. In the moment, they are never worth more than a checkbook restoration. Smart guys that can't do it themselves know the best way is to buy one is to buy one done by a guy that lost interest. Let him eat the loss and enjoy the car today.

RallyeMike

QuoteI only pay attention to second generation Chargers. They seem to be doing okay to me. $35K sounds pretty damn good to me

I see what some of these blah small block Chevys sell for and it always brings me back to reality - Chargers are actually a pretty good deal.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

I dont think it costs nearly as much to buy parts for the Chevys.

AKcharger

My "wake up" was at Carlisle this summer where crowd size was ok but I noticed EVERYONE looked just like me, a 50+ white male.  So in a few years from now when literally tens of thousands of old muscle cars hit the market  whose gonna buy them?  The only people I saw under 40 were the hot chicks selling stuff.
Supply and demand.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: AKcharger on November 30, 2019, 09:38:45 AM
My "wake up" was at Carlisle this summer where crowd size was ok but I noticed EVERYONE looked just like me, a 50+ white male.  So in a few years from now when literally tens of thousands of old muscle cars hit the market  whose gonna buy them?  The only people I saw under 40 were the hot chicks selling stuff.
Supply and demand.

Bingo. Our old cars mean ZERO to anyone under 40.  Our hobby is dying...Slowly.

lloyd3

My 15-year old still very much likes them, as it seems his peers do as well.  There will always be more and less desirable cars, with the lesser cars being more-vulnerable to the whims of the market. I agree that once the Boomers finally go, the market might be glutted but...the newer stuff simply can't age very gracefully.  Where our 60's car shine is the simplicity of the technology combined with some serious curb appeal.  They are "evergreen" accordingly.

Another thing to consider....when we go, who really cares? We've had our fun. Somebody else can sweat the small stuff.

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 30, 2019, 10:15:23 AM
Supply and demand.

Bingo. Our old cars mean ZERO to anyone under 40.  Our hobby is dying...Slowly.

See a LOT of new Chargers and Challengers driven by guys in the 20s-30s.
I questioned a "kid" outside a restaurant about what he liked about his:  looks, power, cool factor.
Same stuff we all like about the original ones!   :coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

alfaitalia

Hollywood and the TV worlds love of the 68 to 70 Chargers well keep them desirable by the younger generation for a decade or two yet I think. That's what got me interested in them in the 70s!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

70 sublime

Supply and demand.

30 years ago going to car shows and flea markets I remember thinking look at all these old gray haired guys with the neat cars
Could not figure out why not many young guys had neat cars to play with

Now I know 30 years later
Young guys with no house payments or family cost had money to play with
Middle age guys were in family mode with not much spare cash
Old guys are past family mode with kids moved out and now have money to play with again

I think the Charger will survive into the future just fine
Will the prices keep climbing or crash ?? who knows ?? who cares ??
I have my car to play with for me  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ACUDANUT

All I know is I had to throw away 35 years worth of trim, Window regulators, complete Rear Ends, bumpers and complete factory front disc swaps, ect. Could not give it away. (B and E body). :brickwall: :brickwall:

70 sublime

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 01, 2019, 10:28:11 AM
All I know is I had to throw away 35 years worth of trim, Window regulators, complete Rear Ends, bumpers and complete factory front disc swaps, ect. Could not give it away. (B and E body). :brickwall: :brickwall:

If you only lived closer .....
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

You didn't try hard enough OR your stuff was beyond the point of being restorable. I never got a call!

Daytona R/T SE

Hmmm...

I don't remember your ad for these parts in the "Parts and accessories for sale" section of DodgeCharger.com  :scratchchin:

I must have missed it.  :shruggy:

73chgrSE

My original SE steering wheel and 8 3/4 dif is on eBay now.  Not much interest.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 01, 2019, 04:07:53 PM

Hmmm...

I don't remember your ad for these parts in the "Parts and accessories for sale" section of DodgeCharger.com  :scratchchin:

Tried that a long time ago. Nobody wanted to pay the actual shipping, or they wanted me to pay for it.

kokxville

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 02, 2019, 01:53:34 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 01, 2019, 04:07:53 PM

Hmmm...

Tried that a long time ago. Nobody wanted to pay the actual shipping, or they wanted me to pay for it.

Send it to the crusher like that guy with the 70 charger  :slap:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"