News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi air filter color

Started by taxspeaker, September 21, 2019, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Original Hemi Superbird-air filter color question.

I always thought it was orange, but in going through an old box of parts last night the one in the box was black? I do not know the history but everything else in the box is the original stuff off the car that I am slowly sending out for rebuild. Not planning on changing anything on the car but just thinking in advance. Here is what I am sending out, but the air filter stumped me.

Brake power booster to Booster Dewey
Power steering pump to Firm Feel
Original Fuel Pump to Hal's Classic Preservation Coalition
Distributor-not sure yet, there is 1 in the car (a tach drive with Pertronix), a dual point Prestolite with tach drive, and a regular single point distributor. I don't think any of them are original but open to comments.
Thanks

Alaskan_TA

Black is on some of the newer replacements.

Originals were all orange.

odcics2

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 21, 2019, 07:00:37 PM

2x
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

taxspeaker

Alaskan_TA

Black for driving & orange for shows.  ;)

gtx6970

x3 , just for good measure.

As to the original dist.
Dual point prestolite , *( No tach drive )  . housing as painted a low gloss black, with a tan dist cap

maxwellwedge

x4  
With round perf holes - not mesh.

Fram did bring out a "Vintage" series a few years back - but they are all gone too. They were pretty good, but the inside mesh was a little different from an original CA332....among a few other details.
Even those re-issues are going for hundreds each.

bad88t-top

Jim,   I heard you let the Disco Daytona go and the new owner is going to restore it.   I didn't think you'd ever let go of that thing.   Hope all is well.
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

birdsandbees

OE was three full rows of holes showing and the upper and lower imbedded into the rubber.. ORANGE. Screen inside with a line down the center of it.

Kevin King just reproduced one to as close as I've seen yet and sent me one for my help. Two things incorrect, instead of spot weld on the metal it's bent and overlapped and the inside mesh doesn't have the line. Other than that is identical to an OE I have in my shop.

All three lids shown are single 4 barrel lids for 383 and 440's.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bad88t-top on September 23, 2019, 03:09:07 PM
Jim,   I heard you let the Disco Daytona go and the new owner is going to restore it.   I didn't think you'd ever let go of that thing.   Hope all is well.
Actually, I traded it a couple of years ago for another car.
I had 3 Daytona's at the time and had to thin the herd a little. Can't keep them all!
I kept "Doc-Tona". It is the first car on the shipping list.....they used it as a Promo car at a few car shows. I'll keep that one.