News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carburetor poll

Started by 73chgrSE, September 23, 2019, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of carb do you use?

Holley
30 (45.5%)
Edelbrock
17 (25.8%)
Carter
12 (18.2%)
Summit
0 (0%)
Uremco
0 (0%)
other
7 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

73chgrSE

Just wanted to know what people prefer. Feel free to comment with your own reasons.

I have had a Carter AFB 625 on it since 1990 because it's what a mechanic recommended to me when I was a kid. I was having and issue with the old Thermoquad that came on it. Everyone I've ever talked to told me they were crap anyway.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Nacho-RT74

A well tuned Thermoquad is some of the best you can get
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 23, 2019, 05:13:29 PM
A well tuned Thermoquad is some of the best you can get

you must have the only one then...I have never seen a TQ out here run right...most if not all end up in the garbage....even a Quadrajet is better than a Thermoquad, in my opinion

I have the original AFB on the cream 66, a pair of dual quad AFB's on the black 66, and an aftermarket Edelbrock on the Daytona...all run fine without any tweaking at all

Bryan

b5blue

Proform 750 Vac. secondary (Holley copy) on my 440.  :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

Correct me if I am wrong, but my thinking is as long as you can dial it in for your application it will work well.  Not dialed in will not work.  The reason EFI is nice is because it dials itself in.

Mine came with a Holley and I am using a Holley-like carburetor (quick fuel mechanical secondaries annular boosters) and really like it.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

I use many different brands and style carbs.

The amount misconception that efi is "self tuning" is amazing. Self learning to a degree, but not self tuning. Out of the box it is just like a carb- the program from the factory is set for a rough window of packages. The benefit is that the basic efi setup will adapt to a degree, but even fi tech requires additional program adjustments.

BSB67

I've used a lot of different carbs over the years.  Probably still have 10 or 15.  They all work fine, they all have a place.  Application and goal will be a factor in the choice as well.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Traditionally i have been a "holley guy" but the oe carters on the 426 have really swayed me back to the nuetral ground. I like them all. They are nothing more then a controlled fuel leak. If you understand that, and dont overthink it, they are not hard.

XH29N0G

:smilielol:  OK I'm one with the misconceptions  :cheers:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Dont get me wrong, it will "adapt", but only within the preset table. You still have to rune/program it like a carb

4cruzin

I am using a proform on both my cars . . .  :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

krops cars

Holley is temperamental. Good for racing where you are adjusting all the time or working on it. Edelbrock better street performer. More reliable.

Sublime/Sixpack

(6)Holleys, (3)Carter Thermoquads, (2)Quadrajets, (2)Carter AVS's, in use here, and I like them all. If I had to choose one it would be a Carter Thermoquad.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Mike DC

The Holley "Street Demon" is basically an aftermarket version of a Thermoquad.  Lots of people like them for plug-n-play street usage.

There is some confusion with it because of the name.  

It's not related to the other 'Demon' carbs:

BSB67

I have not used, or even touched a Street Demon.  Gets positive reviews.  But its not a spread bore carb, so I struggle with it a bit.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: krops cars on September 25, 2019, 02:42:19 PM
Holley is temperamental. Good for racing where you are adjusting all the time or working on it. Edelbrock better street performer. More reliable.

Never had a tempermental holley, nor do i constantly adjust or work on my car at the track.... if you are wrenching, you aint racing.

Voss

I have a rebuilt Carter AVS 4429S on my 68 R/T. Runs perfect for my use (no racing or extreme driving).

When I got the car it had an Edelbrock 1406, had some minor issues with hard starts when warm but never spent any work on it.

myk

Aren't Carters/Edelbrocks the same 'carb?  Anyway, I run an Edelbrock because they always have the biggest, prettiest ads in the Summit catalog...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

73chgrSE

Quote from: myk on September 30, 2019, 10:54:08 PM
Aren't Carters/Edelbrocks the same 'carb?  Anyway, I run an Edelbrock because they always have the biggest, prettiest ads in the Summit catalog...

I think the design is the same.

krops cars

A friend of mine purchased 2 Holley's new. Both would not run well at all. Finally a friend took his Edlebrock off put it on that car. Ran so great. Ordered a new one made adjustments runs awesome to this day.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: krops cars on October 02, 2019, 09:01:12 AM
A friend of mine purchased 2 Holley's new. Both would not run well at all. Finally a friend took his Edlebrock off put it on that car. Ran so great. Ordered a new one made adjustments runs awesome to this day.

Was that the fault of the carb or the tuner i wonder?

krops cars

Pretty sure the carb douche.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: krops cars on October 03, 2019, 09:03:01 AM
Pretty sure the carb douche.

Overly defensive name calling points to the tuner, or lack there of. 2 brand new out the box carbs that are "junk"? Humor me- what was specifically wrong with both of them?

krops cars

Hesitation and something else. On both. I'm going back 6 years ago. I know I triple checked timing set float level. I have put one on a Cadillac. That one worked great and still runs great to this day. My 6 pack. right after you get it running. Set float bowls. Edlebrock. Pretty much put on. Check mixture screws and all other adjustments. Run it. I did have a problem with one Edlebrock. Called them had it handled in no time at all.