News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint Options

Started by Dano 1, September 25, 2019, 01:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

I hope to have my car mechanically sorted and on the road in the next couple months and recently my thoughts have turned to paint/body options. I really don't have the means or motivation to do a bare metal respray right now, which is what the car really needs. I fully intend to do the metal work the car needs and a bare metal respray down the road but for now my priorities are to have the car one color and preserve the body so it doesn't get worse. This car was resprayed at some point in the 80's and about 1/2 primed at some point since then. There are spots of surface rust here and there but for the most part the maroon paint appears to be in decent shape. I'd like to spray it with something to make it one color, provide some protection (the car will be garaged when not driven) to keep the body from getting substantially worse while also not being impossible to strip down the road when I get around to doing the body work properly.

I am not a paint/body guy so I'd appreciate any input or ideas, here's a pic of the car's current state for reference:

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

hemi-hampton

If you have a Maaco in town I'd suggest you take it there.

tmaleck

You may also look for a vocational school.  Usually you'll pay for materials, the labor is free.

Dano 1

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards a more in-process look either with epoxy primer or a urethane primer sealer like the summit brand: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-lvsp421g/overview/.

Does anyone have experience with stripping epoxy? No doubt that would provide the best protection but I'm worried about it being too difficult to strip down the road.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

armor64

when stripping paint/primer/rust on the last 3 projects (2 old trucks and now my 68) the Eastwood Drum sander (concourse sct?) has been a godsend. with the rough drum, a few light passes and a 3in wide swatch is bare metal, and then swapping to a lighter one gives perfect prep for paint again. 10/10 will use on everything again.