News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roof Rail Molding - I guessed wrong

Started by john108, September 25, 2019, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Charger
I am looking at installing the roof rail metal molding.
I believe I saw that some type of seal was originally between the metal molding and the metal roof.
Is that available?
OR, can rope caulk or a bead of silicon rubber (RTV) be used??

krops cars

Mine came in the paint gasket kit. They should be available separate. Rtv may get messy. I do not see when you could not use it.

john108

Thank You Mark
I have that kit from Detroit Muscle.
There are 2 rolls that are peel and stick material that I think are what I need.
There are another 2 rolls of a foam type material that don't think are used.
John

john108

Seal Material

john108

I was wrong!
I found my roof molding and the seal was mostly still stuck to it.
It is the flimsy foam type material

green69rt

I went to Oreilly's and got a roll of RV gasket tape.  I just measured across the molding and bought the one that fit closest.    But, the point that is exactly above the vent window needs an extra dab of some kind of caulking.

I think I used 3/4" wide self-stick weather stripping.

Here's a page full....

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/hardware---fasteners-16585/body---trim-16771/weatherstripping-16876/weatherstripping--universal--17759/89d60abd5dd0?q=weatherstripping+%28universal%29

krops cars

I can not see mine. I know it use to be white foam. I think the new one was black foam. It was from Detroit Muscle. It was not sticky.