News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 dick landy charger. Value?

Started by sites, May 14, 2006, 01:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

wow! thats a hell of a find. good luck. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

That's one cool machine you've got there. That Charger has some historical significance that is worth preserving. You should try to contact DLI and get more info on the car.  :yesnod:

Dick Landy Industries
19743 Bahama St
Northridge, CA 91324-3304  
(818) 341-4143

http://dicklandy.com/index.htm

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

limey

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 15, 2006, 10:27:47 AM

--  It's hard to assign a value to this offhand but it's probably six figures.  You might not wanna even sell this thing right away, but rather wait until the story has had a chance to get out & settle a bit.  When people don't know that a car still exists, it can take a little while for the hobby to figure out what it's worth when it comes back on the scene.

That is good advice. As you have gathered, the car you have had in storage could be an absolutely HUGE find. You need to get it authenticated first, so you know exactly what you do/do not have. If you truly have a Dick Landy car, then  I would sit on it. It could well be your nest egg. It will only increase in value.  There could be all sorts of financial interest from the motoring media...Discovery channel would probably give you enough money up front to pay for a very thorough and sensitive high quality restoration of the car, if they could make a series out of it. And then....you can still keep the car, IF it is a genuine Landy car, it will never do anything other than appreciate...Hell, it looks to be the same with any Charger at the moment, let alone a survivor from the golden age of motor racing......Get it authenticated, and keep us posted.
Limey ;)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

BigBlackDodge

472 R/T SE

I think everything's been said. 
I was wondering when something would be said about the buildsheet being an export car tho, DD.  At the sake of sounding dumb, aren't most public relation cars built at the beginning of the model year?  With actually both of those VIN's, I would think that's at least a Jan., Feb., March of '70 car???  I can't tell.  I don't know if there was a set timetable on when the PR cars. 
I don't imagine the Executive lease cars were built at any certain times of the year. ???

Very cool find and thanks for lettting us pick it apart.  Nothing negative, just neat trying to come up with answers.
If it were mine:
-I'd put a new set of Cragar's on with period correct rubber.
-Clean it up.
-Prolly needs brake work
-Put that elephant in and drive it.

I'd leave it just the way it is.  IMO, it's cooler now than with a bunch of new base, clear coat paint and modern stickers.  I mean really, will it be worth that much more restored than just the way it is.  I'm sure there's clones of it out there all shiny and pretty, but how many still have the '70 correct paint on them? 
Get her running and bring it over to my place so I can detail it out for you.  :icon_smile_big:  I'll give you a call when I'm done.
Congrats on having such a cool ride.  We're all sitting on the edge of our seats so please keep us updated.

See you over @ the '70 Charger Registry.  :wave:

moparfied

I did see pictures of Landy having a 70 Charger R/T,I do not remember where I saw them,but the door scoops,and front bumper stuck out to me. On the 68-69 cars the paint job went into the scallop indentations,on the doors,and on the 70 the scoop was silver,and stood out compaited to the earlier cars, The previous years,Landy raced the Charger R/T.and the Coronet R/T,in 70,Landy raced the Challenger R/T,and the Charger R/T. They were a two car team,Landy raced one car,and his brother raced the other.

Charger1973

sites

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my 1970 dick landy charger posting.

The comments have been informative, encouraging, interesting and appreciated.

I was asked about the odometer milage; It's 27.8 miles.

The car has a clutch pedal, but now has an automatic.

I checked under the front seats and behind the glove box, but could not find a correct build sheet.

greenpigs

KILLER RIDE!!!!

Contact DLI like firefighter sugested first and see what they say.

Then when I went to sell it I would go to BarretJackson as they have maxium exposer, the car will be bought by a collector so might as well have a bunch of them bidding on the car.

I would avoid Ebay to sell this car.

Hope you make an assload of $$$,$$$.00 on the car.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Dodge Don

I've seen 7 hemi 70 Chargers sold. Lowest price was $84k.....average was $150k. And this car has pedigree. But it needs to be documented and authenticated. Wish it had been sitting in my garage for 30 years.

472 R/T SE

:iagree:  If you decide to sell, it HAS to be authenticated.  No matter how much you tell a prospective buyer about a car(it doesn't matter if you're the original owner) they will question and doubt you, and for that kind of money they should.  I have a few friends that deal in high end cars who have told me some of their conversations.  They won't attempt to sell any of their cars without the dude from Wisconsin authenticating them.  There's other gentlemen who are building a reputation, but until Chrysler stands behind them or him, he's your best bet for national recognition IMO.  And as stated, Landy HAS to be involved as well.

I've found buildsheets under the carpet crumpled up and heard of them in the headliners as well.

myrt70

You need to get Dick Landy to authenticate that car. I know that a few years back someone built a replica of one of his 65 Coronets,and after it changed hands a couple times, the current owner tried to sell it as one of his original cars,and when he was asked to authenticate the car,Dick confirmed it was a replica. He knows his cars that he raced,and he would be able to confirm if its legit.
70 Charger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Look inside the bucket seat back covers for broadcast sheets as well, best of luck!

On the Y09 / Y11 thing on the broadcast sheet for the other car, that does mean that it was ordered from overseas by a serviceman, but most of those cars never left the states, they were picked up when they returned stateside.

Barry

Brock Samson

my understanding of the export cars were that they had a special speedo...

Alaskan_TA

The speedometer was available in kilometers, but most of the export cars I have seen have  MPH speedos.

Lots of export cars never left the states.  :icon_smile_wink:

Barry

Ghoste

And not all export cars were going to nations that were using the metric system.

Dodge Don

On the sheet there is a spring that is partially covering the box where the KM speedo code would be. There would be a 1 in that box and the typing on this sheet is far right in each box so I wouldn't say for certain one way or the other.

moparfied

Quote from: y3chargerrt on May 14, 2006, 06:20:19 PM
Why does the broadcast sheet and the Chrysler paper work show different vins? Broadcast sheet shows a 440 R/T and the other paperwork says Hemi? I\'m not beating on you just curious.

My guess is that the Landy race cars probably did not have upholstry in them,like most race cars from that period. I bet the second owner took the interior from another Charger and put it in it. If the body was acid dipped ,then this car was definately a race car. I seriously doubt they would have acid dipped a body for use in the performance clinics only. If they were looking to save weight,then all the upholstry would have been removed. I also saw a photo of a Landy 70 Charger R/T on the starting line,not to long ago. It may have been in the Ronnie Sox photo album that was on line reciently,but I m not sure.

sites

I have an appointment with Galen in July to check out the car.

TruckDriver

Cool! Make sure to keep us posted. :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Dodge Don

Quote from: sites on May 16, 2006, 05:37:22 PM

Very good....keep us posted.

Chris G.

I think Dick Landy Inc. would be a much better way to go, but that's just me. If you're looking to verify if it's a real HEMI car, I'm sure many here could confirm it at a fraction of the cost Mr. Govier charges. Good Luck with everything.

262chargers

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on May 16, 2006, 08:12:58 PM

I think Dick Landy Inc. would be a much better way to go, but that's just me. If you're looking to verify if it's a real HEMI car, I'm sure many here could confirm it at a fraction of the cost Mr. Govier charges. Good Luck with everything. I'm sure you knew from the start what you were trying to accomplish.

Old Dick is not very friendly, unless your spending money with him, sad to say.

Chris G.

Quote from: 262chargers on May 16, 2006, 08:17:24 PM
Old Dick is not very friendly, unless your spending money with him, sad to say.

And Galen is different how? I would spend money with Dick, long before Galen.

262chargers

If it was or wasn't his old car, he should be happy to look it over and give a yes or no, for free, that was my point, it just came out wrong. He's not in it as a hobby aspect, or even a sport, he's all business, that is my OPINION. I never said Galen was better or worse, although he is a pretty close friend of mine, but thats beside the point  :icon_smile_wink:.

The top line on his contact page is what burns me...

"Advice or "How-to-do's" will NOT be given over the phone nor via e-mail"

http://dicklandy.com/contact.htm

In the mid-80's my dad called him several times for "advice" when he was building a stroker big block. How times, and people have changed.