News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you run the smaller A/C water pump pulley without A/C ?

Started by Canadian1968, September 29, 2019, 08:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

The later bulletins were in reference to customer complaints of slipping transmissions on 1st start. The bulletins are written because of customer complaints under warranty. Under warranty means chrysler is/was paying techs for their work. That costs money. The converter drainback was just one example that many on this forum can relate to.

Paul G

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 12, 2019, 01:36:26 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 11, 2019, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 11, 2019, 12:22:54 PM
Apples/oranges comparison. The TF Park issue didn't deal with potential damaging results.

You mean like converter drainback overnight that wont recharge in the morning until you shift to neutral and got so bad on the modern trucks with warranty claims that chrysler put bulletins out and installed checkvalves for the converter instead of fixing the valve body so it would charge in park? Yeah thats apples to apples when it cost the company money in warranty work over a simple factory fix.

First off, you're talking about something the factory didn't do (no cost), I'm referring to what they did do (cost money).

Bulletins regarding converter drainback were merely of an advisory nature. And "warranty claims"? Source?

And, you're confused about the purpose of the check valve in later trucks; although it was referred to as a "converter drainback valve", it's purpose was to prevent the high-mounted radiator cooler from draining through the converter. Never had a drain-through problem when the coolers were located in the bottom tank of the radiator. Converter drainback was never eliminated throughout the life of the 727/904 based Torqueflite.

We're way off topic, is this why my 2005 Ram SRT10, it has the diesel trans, wont move till I rev it a little when put in drive if it has been sitting for a few weeks?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 12, 2019, 02:57:20 PM
The later bulletins were in reference to customer complaints of slipping transmissions on 1st start. The bulletins are written because of customer complaints under warranty. Under warranty means chrysler is/was paying techs for their work. That costs money. The converter drainback was just one example that many on this forum can relate to.

The bulletins merely advised the customer to start in Neutral and the service writers verbally advised the customers to do so (no techs involved). Your inflated notion of the cost to do that is chump change compared to the (on topic) cost of implementing a water pump change.

Again, on topic, I contend that the costly change in water pumps was done for a reason and that reason to prevent the possibility of encountering cavitation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

The waterpumps were onhand already. They had to pay the techs for complaints of slipping transmissions over a 50 year span. What rpm do the waterpumps cavitate again?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 14, 2019, 12:17:41 AM
The waterpumps were onhand already.

Oh?

QuoteThey had to pay the techs for complaints of slipping transmissions over a 50 year span.

No.

QuoteWhat rpm do the waterpumps cavitate again?

I dunno, ask an engineer....and look up "possible" in your Funk & Wagnalls.

cdr

I will say this, I am keeping the wrong pump on my car  :icon_smile_blackeye:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 14, 2019, 02:35:47 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 14, 2019, 12:17:41 AM
The waterpumps were onhand already.

Oh?

QuoteThey had to pay the techs for complaints of slipping transmissions over a 50 year span.

No.

QuoteWhat rpm do the waterpumps cavitate again?

I dunno, ask an engineer....and look up "possible" in your Funk & Wagnalls.

Lol, wow john so since "possible" is the factual argument for all cases now i guess that makes every discussion easier since you dont have to provide actual facts.

alfaitalia

Many factors cause cavitation, not just the RPM of the pump. The type of coolant, temperature and pressure are all factors along with the type of pump.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 14, 2019, 06:23:40 PM
Lol, wow john so since "possible" is the factual argument for all cases now i guess that makes every discussion easier since you dont have to provide actual facts.

Since you seem to be the guy with the "facts", tell us why they used a smaller pump impeller when going to the overdrive pulleys.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 15, 2019, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 14, 2019, 06:23:40 PM

Since you seem to be the guy with the "facts", tell us why they used a smaller pump impeller when going to the overdrive pulleys.

I asked for the facts, but to quote you- "i dunno, ask an engineer"

John_Kunkel

So, the only "fact" that will come from this thread is that you know as little about the subject as I do.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 16, 2019, 01:40:27 PM
So, the only "fact" that will come from this thread is that you know as little about the subject as I do.

:cheers: always a pleasure john. Never any hard feelings.

b5blue

So you guys are done then? (I've been waiting.) Okay so back on track.....do "factory A/C" cars get bigger radiators all the time?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: b5blue on October 16, 2019, 09:45:22 PM
So you guys are done then? (I've been waiting.) Okay so back on track.....do "factory A/C" cars get bigger radiators all the time?

:smilielol:

Do ac cars get a bigger radiator?- hmmmm ask an engineer, or its possible, come to mind.... bwahahahaah

But no, thats a loaded question. Really.

John_Kunkel

Simple answer....it depends on the year/model.

On some of the earlier models even a parts room guy couldn't answer that question, but on some later models the FSM's include the radiator size (and part number) for various installations.

b5blue

So could radiator size effect water pump and or pulley size/type is what I am getting at.  :scratchchin:  Example: B Body 6cyl 3 speed manual W A/C would get a 26" radiator. (?)

c00nhunterjoe

Its possible..... bwahahahahaa, i love it... it fits everything....

But again, sure, more capacity, more surface area, more passages. And lets not forget that a 6 cyl engine doesnt hold the same amount a coolant as a big block so the same applies there as well.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Canadian1968

Geez I start the best threads ! 

I think one could literally drive themselves insane trying to figure out what all the water pump/ pulley / radiator combinations were back in the day .  I think this is one of those times where you just have try it and see what works for you !

cdr

Quote from: Canadian1968 on October 17, 2019, 07:08:49 PM
Geez I start the best threads ! 

I think one could literally drive themselves insane trying to figure out what all the water pump/ pulley / radiator combinations were back in the day .  I think this is one of those times where you just have try it and see what works for you !

DING DING WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER :)

c00nhunterjoe

I could really throw a wrench in the mix cause i dont have a pulley or belt on mine.

Canadian1968

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 17, 2019, 09:57:46 PM
I could really throw a wrench in the mix cause i dont have a pulley or belt on mine.

Pfffff show off  :lol:

c00nhunterjoe

b5blue

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 17, 2019, 09:57:46 PM

My friend's experience that prompted the clear sight tube was on an electric pump installation.