News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger mirror question....

Started by Finoke, October 02, 2019, 05:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finoke

I just bought a 70 Charger. I'm assuming the passenger and drivers side mirrors are incorrect? What should they look like?
Thx
Tom

Alaskan_TA

Nice!

Other than the mirrors.

What are the G codes (if any) on the fender tag?

chargervert

Most 70 Chargers had the standard 66 to 70 chrome remote mirror, the matching passengers side non remote mirror was optional. After March 1st of 1970 racing mirrors became available, in chrome, or painted on high impact colored Chargers. The racing mirrors are the same ones used of 70 to 72 A body cars too. All of them are being reproduced now.

Finoke

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 02, 2019, 06:19:15 PM
Nice!

Other than the mirrors.

What are the G codes (if any) on the fender tag?

Hi Barry! I don't know yet. Picking up the car from Long Island next week if it doesn't rain!

Finoke

Quote from: chargervert on October 02, 2019, 06:31:39 PM
Most 70 Chargers had the standard 66 to 70 chrome remote mirror, the matching passengers side non remote mirror was optional. After March 1st of 1970 racing mirrors became available, in chrome, or painted on high impact colored Chargers. The racing mirrors are the same ones used of 70 to 72 A body cars too. All of them are being reproduced now.

Excellent! I will check them out!

Alaskan_TA

The standard drivers side mirror did not actually come with a remote.

The mirror with remote was an extra cost option. See the mirror section at - http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Charger0020.jpg

chargervert

Barry is correct, there was also a drivers side non remote mirror that was the standard mirror.  They are very uncommon on Chargers. I had a stripped down XH 70 Charger 318 3 speed standard on the column car,with no radio, no map light,and a design bezel where the clock goes,and it even had the remote drivers side mirror. It was a bench seat car,with steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Finoke on October 02, 2019, 06:51:15 PM

Hi Barry! I don't know yet. Picking up the car from Long Island next week if it doesn't rain!

That would be pronounced Lon-G'Island.

XH29N0G

Quote from: chargervert on October 02, 2019, 07:36:16 PM
Barry is correct, there was also a drivers side non remote mirror that was the standard mirror.  They are very uncommon on Chargers. I had a stripped down XH 70 Charger 318 3 speed standard on the column car,with no radio, no map light,and a design bezel where the clock goes,and it even had the remote drivers side mirror. It was a bench seat car,with steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps.
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 02, 2019, 07:31:00 PM

The mirror with remote was an extra cost option. See the mirror section at - http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Charger0020.jpg

I wonder if that explains why I cannot find the remote switch to operate my mirror.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

skoblick24

Congrats!

Where on the "guylan" you find it?

tan top

Quote from: Finoke on October 02, 2019, 05:55:51 PM
I just bought a 70 Charger. I'm assuming the passenger and drivers side mirrors are incorrect? What should they look like?
Thx
Tom

love the wheels  :drool5: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 03, 2019, 06:02:14 AMI wonder if that explains why I cannot find the remote switch to operate my mirror.

It does, that is the standard, non-remote mirror.

chargervert

All Charger drivers side upper door interior top pads have the provision for the remote control mirror. I  have seen a few that had a textured plastic plug in the impression for the remote control knob. The stripped down 70 XH car that I had did not have the Charger upper door panel pads. Just painted meta like a Road Runner.

Finoke

Finoke

Quote from: chargervert on October 03, 2019, 11:35:06 AM
All Charger drivers side upper door interior top pads have the provision for the remote control mirror. I  have seen a few that had a textured plastic plug in the impression for the remote control knob. The stripped down 70 XH car that I had did not have the Charger upper door panel pads. Just painted meta like a Road Runner.

Interesting!

Finoke

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 02, 2019, 07:31:00 PM

Thanks Barry, checking it out now!

XH29N0G

I have little plugs in the metal plates.  Are these the plugs that were supposed to be missing on the other XH?  I know mine were not remote and it is an XH made in Feb/March 1970 in St Louis.  I do not think the metal plates were replaced when renovated.  The interior was supposed to have been left mostly as is, but new carpet and headliner and dash pad. Maybe some had no plugs and others like mine got them????

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

One more which is a shot I took of the passenger side before renovation.  Same plug.

Don't know if that is it though since I haven't had remote mirrors.

Or maybe it protects us. 

chargervert

Those plastic plugs are to access the allen screws that hold the vent window frame assemblies.

XH29N0G

Thanks, so the metal plates described do not have the hole for remote on this car as described in your previous post.  Interesting.  Thanks. 

Quote from: Finoke on October 03, 2019, 03:44:01 PM

Interesting!

Or maybe it protects us. 

chargervert

That metal upper panel is actually part of the door itself.  The XH Charger that I had,had the hole in it for the remote control mirror.  Chargers that have the upper door pads have holes drilled in the metal panel,and have 5 metal spring clips that hold the pads onto the metal panel.

XH29N0G

Geez,  I always liked my doors, but now all I can think is that they are naked  :eek2: :smilielol:

Or maybe it protects us. 

70sixpkrt

I'm looking for a chrome one on the passenger side just like the original post. I'm the third owner of my car and the 2nd owner installed a black one. Mine never came with the passenger side. The problem is he drilled the hole too big and the stock chrome one won't fit. I'm using a black one but would like a chrome one.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

DAY CLONA

My 70 XH Charger had no provisions or holes/plugs (other than the small 1/4" dia plugs for the vent windows) I had to drill a hole to add the remote toggle switch when I added upper door panels, I have seen the "larger" textured remote plug mentioned, but that was in a set of upper pads on a car that had standard non remote mirrors

Mike

dual fours

All Charger drivers side upper door interior top pads have the provision for the remote control mirror. I  have seen a few that had a textured plastic plug in the impression for the remote control knob. The stripped down 70 XH car that I had did not have the Charger upper door panel pads. Just painted meta like a Road Runner.
Nice Charger Finoke.
This is where the lever for the remote mirror would be. (yellow arrow)

I think the LH non remote mirror was an instigator while cruising around town.
See with the LH remote mirror, you could control the mirror from inside and look at the babe riding shotgun in the car slightly behind you on your left and she nor the driver would know it. Now with the non remote mirror, you'd reach out, adjust the mirror and the babe riding shotgun would see that an then in the mirror the two of you would lock eyes...then blow her a kiss and her boyfriend seeing this would get all pissed off and...let the street racing begin. I'm happy I have a very rare '70 Charger with the LH non remote mirror, and my upper door panels aren't naked.  

So the G36 L&R Chrome or Painted Racing Mirrors where not available till March 1, 1970. I've read that they were available February 12, 1970. :scratchchin:          
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG