News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have a right (passenger) side Superbird scoop, or good repro?

Started by RammJaeger, October 02, 2019, 09:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RammJaeger

Today I took the scoops off of my Superbird to get them painted, and discovered that I have two left side scoops on my car. I reached out to the previous owner, and he indeed shared that he had put a LH scoop on the right side. I've got a repro RH scoop that came with the car of unknown quality, but it feels about twice as heavy as an original. So I'm looking for an original right side scoop, or an excellent repro. Anyone have one or know where to look?

On why the previous owner put a LH scoop on the right, he had two Superbirds, my black one and a green one. There was a fire in the building his green one was in, and although the car was mostly alright, it had to get a new paint job and the scoops got melted. He couldn't find an extra RH scoop (this was late 70's early 80's), so he took the RH scoop off the black car and put it on the green one. He had an extra LH scoop, so he modified that to fit on the right side. Here is a pic of both cars back in the day:

odcics2

If you just noticed it, it must have looked pretty good to fool you.  :coolgleamA:
You may want to consider leaving well enough alone...   :Twocents:

Having original parts is better than repo.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RammJaeger

Quote from: odcics2 on October 03, 2019, 08:05:41 AM
If you just noticed it, it must have looked pretty good to fool you.  :coolgleamA:
You may want to consider leaving well enough alone...   :Twocents:

Having original parts is better than repo.

I'd prefer a correct RH scoop, or a really great repro.

taxspeaker

We have just completed our resin based in-house printed first scoop. Using an industrial level 360 degree scanner we scanned my original left and right scoops. We have printed the left scoop, down to the part numbers, reference to the company that printed their name under there, LH/RH reference,correct matching  mounting studs with proper directional alignment, everything. By Christmas (perhaps sooner) we will have them available for sale-indistinguishable from original, but not that special fiberglass of the originals if that is what is wanted. One color only but easily painted. We will not make them available for sale until they meet the quality of the original, and we are going to have them examined by one of the country's main restorers-if he says not good enough then more work will be done.

As soon as we are satisfied with the quality of the scoops we will then be scanning the original left and right diamonds for the back of the vinyl top/trunk area also from my originals-hopefully having them by the first of the year. Again, we will not sell them until they are indistinguishable from originals.

Both products will be hand spooled hard, but flexible, resin made. Resistant to heat and cold within all operating temperature ranges.

We are looking for more ideas. Thinking about also doing Daytona scoops off of my originals. The printer, although very powerful, is limited in the size of what it can print to about 24"x24"x24", so no nose cones or things like that.

The process is extremely technical-my son is our company's IT director and has made scans and resin prints for lots of things including an artificial heart for an Ohio hospital with this industrial level scanning machine. Most of these big guys won't deal with a small run because of the cost, but he has a Dad who is a car nut and he has a partial bug and is excited to do something that has not been commercially feasible with scanners/resin printers.

I do not yet have a price. We have watched what has been sold or for sale and will be in the range of scoops-I am guessing $300 for a pair. Diamonds not yet determined, but I would guess similar pricing, maybe a bit less.

We will do limited runs of each-maybe 20 sets of scoops and 20 sets of diamonds, and if they sell, we will consider running another batch.
Bob J