News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ALL lights work except the left front signal..

Started by Highbanked Hauler, October 05, 2019, 03:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger, SO I went on a search to find the problem. I tracked it back into the bulk head connector with a test light and everything works except the left front doesn't but I hear the flasher working.  Before I get the drivers seat out and my fat ass under the dash has anyone else had a similar problem, I am looking for ideas before I turn this into a science project,  thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XH29N0G

Thinking out loud here.  If you traced it back to the bulkhead connector then I think you need to be under the dash.  If it were me, I would see if there was a systematic way to work forward, maybe from the switch, just because I have slid under the dash times and never found it easy.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Gold Rush

If it's like my '74 the front and rear are fed from the same point on the turn signal switch.  Some where between there and the front/rear light is a junction point.  God know where that might be.  My guess is you'll end up checking output at the column connector then chasing wire from there. 

GOOD LUCK!!!
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Gold Rush on October 05, 2019, 06:26:00 PM
If it's like my '74 the front and rear are fed from the same point on the turn signal switch.  Some where between there and the front/rear light is a junction point.  God know where that might be.  My guess is you'll end up checking output at the column connector then chasing wire from there. 

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks I'ii need it.  The turn signal switch and the flasher HAVE to be working as I have a left rear signal. The left  green dash turn indicator doesn't flash either and no power at the firewall plug so it must be between the column plug and the the bulkhead. I HATE wiring.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Gold Rush

I spent much of my Air Force career chasing wires.  Even as a senior supervisor I found opportunity to stand on my head in a cockpit showing the young guys and gals how to troubleshoot aircraft wiring problems.  Having a good wiring diagram is key.  From there it is just a matter of testing and fixing.  Don't let it frustrate you and you'll do just fine.  In my "74 shop manual diagram it shows the dash light after the front/rear junction so that makes sense yours isn't working.  I bet the wire is broken at the splice joint.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

BLK 68 R/T

My guess is a bad ground on the light. With everything hooked up. Try running a ground from the light bulb socket straight to the negative terminal on the battery.

alfaitalia

That would not stop the dash light working though....I think Gold Rush is correct.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

BLK 68 R/T

Yea, missed the part about the dash indicator light not working at all.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on October 06, 2019, 12:56:50 PM
My guess is a bad ground on the light. With everything hooked up. Try running a ground from the light bulb socket straight to the negative terminal on the battery.

Been there, I started out at the light (grounded to the battery with power fed to the signal wire and worked back to the bulkhead which had power for the right side but not the left.

Gold Rush, finding the broken joint is my biggest issue.. Wiring is not in my DNA.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

BLK 68 R/T

Do you have a multimeter or just a test light?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on October 06, 2019, 06:25:13 PM
Do you have a multimeter or just a test light?

Both, If the wire is the same color in the dash as it is in the front harness my odds of finding it just went up.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Gold Rush

Maybe someone with a wire diagram will chime in soon.  I don't have on that goes back that far.  Closest I can get is '70 Charger.  At the column connector it looks like a light green wire to the bulkhead connector the changes to black with light green tracer from there to the lights.  Would be nice to have the exact FSM for your car.