News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another left front parking lamp problem

Started by Top Banana, October 06, 2019, 07:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Banana

I didn't want to hijack the other thread.  I think my problem is a little different.  The left front parking lamp and turn signal do not work.  Haven't for 30 years :image_294343:
The dash indicator lights up but doesn't blink, of course.  When checking the wiring, there is power to the firewall plug.  There is continuity from the firewall plug to both of the wires at the right side lamp, but to only one on the left side.  So I would think there is a break in that wire.  My FSM doesn't show any detail on the front light wiring harness.  Where does the wire split into right and left?  Just trying to minimize destruction to my factory wire wrap.

Gold Rush

Just a quick hint..  Do yourself a favor and always state what vehicle you are asking questions about.  You sure aren't the only person to leave out that bit of info.  It makes helping if we can much easier.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Top Banana

Gold Rush

I have a basic front end lighting diagram for the 71 Charger and don't see anything special to cause your issue.  I'd expect you many have a "NO GROUND" on that left housing issue as well as the lack of power feeding the left turn signal.  Looking at this diagram it appears the actual turn signal and the fender mounted turn indicator are fed by separate wires from the engine side of the bulkhead connector.  Looks like an 18 gauge black with light green tracer wire in both cases.

Have you checked for turn signal power on the engine side of that bulkhead connector?  From there it goes direct to the lights so if you do have power at the connector and not the light connector it's a matter of chasing down the brake or bad plug connection.  The ground issue could also be a broken/bad connection.  Could also be rusted out socket..

Hope all that makes sense and helps..    ;D

24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Top Banana on October 06, 2019, 07:20:26 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread.  I think my problem is a little different.  The left front parking lamp and turn signal do not work.  Haven't for 30 years :image_294343:
The dash indicator lights up but doesn't blink, of course.  When checking the wiring, there is power to the firewall plug.  There is continuity from the firewall plug to both of the wires at the right side lamp, but to only one on the left side.  So I would think there is a break in that wire.  My FSM doesn't show any detail on the front light wiring harness.  Where does the wire split into right and left?  Just trying to minimize destruction to my factory wire wrap.

We must be related, When you say both wires have power do you mean separately, once for parking and once for signal  or do you mean when you pull the parking lights on both wires have power ? I ask because I had feedback from the brake lights at one time that would light up the signal indicator.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Top Banana

Both the wires to the 2-wire connector have power.  Where is the black female single wire connector supposed to go?

Gold Rush

Does that single wire have a light green tracer?  And, is it coming off of the left park/turn signal connector.  If so the diagram shows it going to the left fender turn signal if so optioned.

Top Banana

Gold Rush

Well there you go.....  I don't know anything about '71s.  Do you have the fender mounted turn signal?  If so that wire feeds the left side.  You'll have a separate one feeding the right side.

Top Banana

I don't have the fender mounted turn signals.  They may have been there at one time though.  That doesn't have anything to do with why it's not working though :shruggy:

Gold Rush

I think you are armed with all the information. Just need to roll up your sleeves and chase down the problem. 

HAVE FUN!!

Top Banana