News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 1972 Plymouth Duster build

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, October 09, 2019, 01:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67440chrg

Great job. I like the green. In high school I had a friend with a white /6 auto Duster. He put air shocks and fat 50s on back. The nose down look was cool in the 70s. I have always wanted one . Keep up the good work.

taxspeaker

The Duster is a standout! I looove the wheels, the interior and the engine bay, and the fact it is not what we normally see. And a slant 6-even cooler!
Thanks for the pictures.

ACUDANUT

140 mph speedo. LOL I don't think it will reach 70 mph.
Great work BTW  :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks everyone!   :cheers:

It's been fun to turn it from junk into something fun to drive. Originally I wasn't a fan of the green and the slant six but they have both grown on me and now I really like the look. Performance of the slant still sucks but it amazes me how many people dig it. People always ask 340?/360?/440? but get excited when I say 225.

Here's a couple extra photos I had on my phone that show the gauges lit up better, new headliner, and lights. The parking lights are now switchbacks so they are white but when you hit the turn signal they switch to amber. I think it cleans up the look of the front when the headlights are on.

I'll keep updating the progress as work continues.    :cheers:

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 09, 2019, 03:23:13 AM
I like the gauges and especially like the use of the Challenger console. You have me curious about that now for my BIL's 72 Duster as well as my own '70 Charger. The old car console sits so low, it is hard to use as an armrest. Maybe if I added a padded top and hinged mine at the rear it would be an improvement. You do get used to cup holders in late model cars though!
Great work. Thank you for posting everything.

PS:
The torsion bars:
Peter Bergman at Bergman Auto Craft told me a trick when installing my 1.15 TBs in the Charger.
On a car lift, set the bar in the rear, move it forward to the control arm but don't slam it in....set the adjustment lever in the control arm (The "finger" that the adjustment screw/bolt presses against) to sit true horizontal. Slide the Tb in while clocking the "finger" slightly. If the hex is nowhere close, the clocking is not correct.

Thanks Kern! I talked with Peter and he ran through some tips with me but I must have missed something on mine. I've got the bars here so I'll give it another shot soon.

On the Charger, look into adding a 66-67 Charger console armrest. I added it on mine with an inch of extra padding and it made a world of difference. Adds a little comfort while keeping the classic look.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

JB400

Ponch ®

Awesome build! Love these "one thing at a time" projects. Gives the rest of us hope!

Whats the company that makes the mini-lites?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Brass

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing your progress.  :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 10, 2019, 11:46:28 AM
Awesome build! Love these "one thing at a time" projects. Gives the rest of us hope!

Whats the company that makes the mini-lites?

Thanks! I made it look like it went together smoothly but I've jumped all over the place with it.   :lol:

Wheels are from ET Mags

http://www.etmags.com/
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

alfaitalia

Very cool. Id quite like one.....never seen a Duster in the UK. Amazing what you can buy for just $2000 over there! :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

kent

Great build up! She' looking great!
Kent

Ponch ®

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 12, 2019, 08:03:37 AM
Very cool. Id quite like one.....never seen a Duster in the UK. Amazing what you can buy for just $2000 over there! :2thumbs:

believe it or not that was a steal, for that car and in that shape. You can otherwise expect to pay 2-3x that amount.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

TexasStroker

Very nice...Killer suspension and brake package!

Glad to see the console fit...I'd always planned to try one in the Charger, but good to know they drop in the Duster so well!

I picked up some Speedhut gauges for my Duster earlier this year, but haven't gotten around to installing them.  Just curious if you've played with the extra speedometer functions or not?  Is it quick to get the satellite signal...does the speed seem accurate? 
Any testing with the 0-60 or track timers? 
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Fitz73Chrgr

This thing is awesome.

And, since you like being broke, I have an idea:
http://www.torqstorm.com/supercharger_kit_slant_6.html
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Ponch ®

Quote from: TexasStroker on October 14, 2019, 10:40:02 PM

After seeing this thread, im thinking of pulling the trigger on a similar package (albeit for a B-Body, of course). Just curious...how come you didnt get QA1 lower arms? Not worth it?

Lennard

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 15, 2019, 10:50:25 AM

After seeing this thread, im thinking of pulling the trigger on a similar package (albeit for a B-Body, of course). Just curious...how come you didnt get QA1 lower arms? Not worth it?
Bracing the stock lower control arms gives the same result for a fraction of the price.
(If you need a pair of those boxing plates... cbrestoration/Chris sells them for less than the regular vendors)

WHITE AND RED 69

Glad to see the console fit...I'd always planned to try one in the Charger, but good to know they drop in the Duster so well!

I picked up some Speedhut gauges for my Duster earlier this year, but haven't gotten around to installing them.  Just curious if you've played with the extra speedometer functions or not?  Is it quick to get the satellite signal...does the speed seem accurate? 
Any testing with the 0-60 or track timers? 

Haven't played with the 0-60 or 1/4 timers because I might just get depressed about the performance of the 225   :lol: .  But the speedo is accurate, you have to calibrate it which is easy so once it is set up its spot on. I have mine hot wired so it stays powered so it acquires the signal in seconds. But if I unhook the battery or leave it for more than 5 hours or so it'll take about a minute to get the signal. Car takes longer to warm up than it does to get a signal so I've never noticed any issues.

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 15, 2019, 10:50:25 AM

The original lower arms were in good enough shape that I didn't need to spend the extra bucks. I had extra bushings and the sway bar mounts so it was an easy clean up. If one was bent though I would have bought the QA1's just to make it easier than trying to find good stock used ones. Eventually when I go with a V8 I'll get the QA1 K member and might get the lower arms just to complete the package but that's years away.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on October 15, 2019, 02:24:06 AM
This thing is awesome.

And, since you like being broke, I have an idea:
http://www.torqstorm.com/supercharger_kit_slant_6.html

I've been drooling over it ever since I got the car.   :2thumbs:  I've seen a couple builds with them but no real street reviews but it would be cool. But in the end it would cost a pretty penny to get it set up properly with the right carb, or efi, and fuel system. And I'd need to relocate the power steering pump, the rep told me guys have made it work but I'd like to see one in person. And putting $4-5K into a motor that will never make over 200 hp doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do but who knows it could happen.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Awesome build.   Glad to see some pictures of it
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 15, 2019, 11:14:11 PM

Haven't played with the 0-60 or 1/4 timers because I might just get depressed about the performance of the 225   :lol: .  But the speedo is accurate, you have to calibrate it which is easy so once it is set up its spot on. I have mine hot wired so it stays powered so it acquires the signal in seconds. But if I unhook the battery or leave it for more than 5 hours or so it'll take about a minute to get the signal. Car takes longer to warm up than it does to get a signal so I've never noticed any issues.

Cool, thanks for the insights...I don't figure I'll use the performance stuff a ton, but it is nice to know it is there.  1 Minute won't be bad in most cases...
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

chapel40

Great build, I had a74 green 225 slant six in high school. Loved it!!
Don Chapel

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

birdsandbees

COOL.. missed this thread ! I've been looking for a nice '70 Duster for a long long time...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

TruckDriver

First time i went through this thread. VERY nice as to how you changed the looks of the car!  :cheers: :2thumbs: I am happy you kept the slant six. Looks awesome all redone. Will be a nice cruising car with decent gas mileage. I been thinking of a '74 Duster basically the same deal you got in the same shape cheap. I might just think about it harder.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

kokxville

Hi Clayton, :cheers:
i've just noticed this thread. :icon_smile_blackeye:
Woooow amazing what you've done to it. Looks awesome buddy. :coolgleamA: :drool5:
I've just started with a 68 Valiant and this thread inspired me with some great ideas  :2thumbs:

Keep up the good work  :yesnod:

John
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Kern Dog

That screen name...Kokxville....Makes me think of San Francisco.  :smilielol: