News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Electric Cars Outsell Internal Combustion

Started by Ghoste, October 09, 2019, 06:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Long Before Electric Cars Dominate The Market

Five Years
Ten Years
Fifteen Years
More Than Fifteen
Never

odcics2

There won't be any electric charging stations on Key Largo, since they are flooding out with sea water as it rises.....

Certain huge tides used to come and go, are now hanging around for many months.  Saw a few pics of the new garb: waders. 
One guy has a no wake zone sign by his house. 

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 29, 2019, 08:35:03 AM
That cant be true surely??? Completely defeats the point. And with the losses you get from turning diesel into electricity its will cause more pollution than just putting it in the tank. Why would they do that???....do they not have electricity on Rhode island yet!!???
That is funny, Alfie.
The generators are possibly in places where it isn't feasible to run a power line. Sometimes a parking lot is already paved and the cost to trench and repair the asphalt/concrete just isn't worth it.

ACUDANUT

Who Really Cares. ? You won't have a say in it anyways.  :shruggy: :slap: :smilielol:

Mike DC

South Beach Miami after a few yards of sea rise.  Perhaps 2050-2075:

Kern Dog

SEa levels rise 6 feet in 30 years?  :rofl: Who are you? AOC ??   :hah:
ALL the snow in the world could melt and the oceans wouldn't rise by more than 12 inches.
Try again.

Mike DC

Snow?  

The big water volume is locked up in polar icecaps and permafrost in the upper lattitudes.

Sea levels have fluctuated by hundreds of feet in the past.  (It's not disputed. Heck, we find ancient man-made structures lying dozens of yards underwater on a regular basis.)  If we get a few yards of rise in the next century, that would be pretty minor in the big picture.  In the last couple hundred years we have made a lot of rapid changes to the environment.  Also, the last several thousand years have been unusually stable in the big picture.      

Ever seen that AMC TV series 'The Terror'?  The one about the doomed northwest passage expedition in the 1840s?  

The first time a decent size ship EVER got through there was after WW2.  People had been trying since the 1500s, in hopes of claiming the prize that Christopher Columbus had originally set out for.  It proved to be an impossible task for centuries - like, just sailing across there ONCE was that difficult. 

And yet today the shipping industry is planning long-term for the Arctic ocean to be opened up to regular ship traffic in the coming decades.  Regular commercial freight traffic, possibly tourism, more access to oil/resources, etc.  WTF?  We're not talking about a bunch of 19yo hippies protesting in front of a college dorm.  They didn't start believing this because Al Gore made them feel guilty about driving SUVs.  This is cold hard business sense - they see a warming/thawing trend in our near/medium future.  It's big enough to cause some clear obvious changes to the planet.  

Kern Dog

Whether it is happening or not, it is not going to be stopped by higher taxes or restricting the use of gasoline powered vehicles.
There will not be 6 feet of ocean rise anyway. With water covering 2/3 of the earth's surface, there isn't enough snow or ICE to melt to make it rise that much. Do you want to calculate what volume of water 6 feet is multiplied by 2/3 of the Earths surface???

Mike DC

Umm, I don't know where you are getting your data but the entire scientific establishment disagrees.  

Earth's sea levels have fluctuated hundreds of feet in the past.  This is the regular accepted view.   A couple million years ago (much hotter climate) the sea levels are estimated to have been 150 feet higher.  At the last ice age (only 12,000 years ago) the sea levels were 400 feet lower.  

This stuff goes on all the time, geologically speaking.  
There are currently large portions of Antarctica where the ice is piled up over a mile thick.  That continent is the size of North America.  That's a lot of water.  That water is piled up on land, not affecting current sea levels.  

There are many sites around the world that have obviously man-made structures sitting dozens/hundreds of feet underwater.  Go back a few tens of thousands of years, and these sites were on dry land.  (But they would have been close to the coastlines at the time - that's the standard place you would expect to find the heaviest human population in any era.)

This is just one example of the clear evidence that sea levels fluctuate wildly.  There is much more if you care to look into it.  

Kern Dog

All the more reason to establish desalinization facilities at all coastal states. It would negate the problem of droughts.

Mike DC

Desalinization isn't a bad thing to attend to.  

But right now our civilization is so fucked up . . . it's hard for me to even think that big.  

The US/Canadian great lakes region is the biggest wad of concentrated clean fresh water on the planet.   And yet people in Flint and Cleveland (which are near/on the coasts) have life-wrecking lead poisoning problems for lack of decent water.  We cannot even be troubled to build a fucking pipe from the lake to their houses and make it clean/safe.  Meanwhile we allow huge cities to spring up in the middle of butt-ass-desert regions like Arizona & Nevada.  Then we wring our hands about the inadequate water supply when millions of people want the suburban house/pool/lawn experience there.  Zero sense.      

JB400

While I agree with Mike for the most part, facts favor KD's predictions.  We've had large fluctuations of sea levels in the past, with the amount of ice left, our sea levels aren't going to rise too much more.  The picture posted of a flooded Miami would be more likely from a storm surge.  A flooded out New Orleans or Venice would be more likely.  Seal levels will rise, and we will lose some coastal property, but I doubt as much as predicted.

alfaitalia

Little factoid for you. Done by a mathematician not a climate scientist....allegedly!!

" If all the ice covering the Arctic, Antarctica , Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities."
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

QuoteWhile I agree with Mike for the most part, facts favor KD's predictions.  We've had large fluctuations of sea levels in the past, with the amount of ice left, our sea levels aren't going to rise too much more.  The picture posted of a flooded Miami would be more likely from a storm surge.  A flooded out New Orleans or Venice would be more likely.  Seal levels will rise, and we will lose some coastal property, but I doubt as much as predicted.

The Miami pic that I posted is a photoshop extrapolation.  Not sure of the exact water level there.  Looks like only a few yards up from present.

I do agree that the scarier predictions about the next century may be overblown.  Or at least, "inaccurate." 

IIRC the data we are getting suggests the temp increases won't be evenly spaced.  There will be more warming at the poles and less warming in the warmer climates.  In English that means those of us in warmer climates won't feel much warming where we live.  But we will see more worldwide sea level rise and hear about more Arctic warming.   

Mytur Binsdirti

One thing's for certain, every predicted climate apocalypse over the past 50 years has never come true.

Coming of the next ice age
The earth will run out of oil by 2011
Acid rain was going to pollute all of the Earth's water and kill all fish
The hole in the ozone layer was going to give us all cancer
Global warming wasn't happening, so the narrative was changed to "climate change"

And it's always the same tired old song; "we only have 10 years left".

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions

Mike DC

The earth never runs out of oil and the climate never goes catastrophe . . . sorta like how the classic car world never hits that wall and runs out of project cars.  Yeah, that's technically true, but don't tell me the situation has not been worsening. 

The dire climate predictions tend to get overblown.  Sometimes they are truly wrong.  Other times they get remembered for being 'wrong' when they were right but then some unforeseen issue changed the outcome.  (Example:  The effect of aircraft exhaust & other air pollution has caused a measurable amount of global "dimming" of sunlight.  That is offsetting some of the global warming we would otherwise be getting right now.)     

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 30, 2019, 07:17:16 PM
One thing's for certain, every predicted climate apocalypse over the past 50 years has never come true.

Coming of the next ice age
The earth will run out of oil by 2011
Acid rain was going to pollute all of the Earth's water and kill all fish
The hole in the ozone layer was going to give us all cancer
Global warming wasn't happening, so the narrative was changed to "climate change"

And it's always the same tired old song; "we only have 10 years left".

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions

I agree. Ted Danson said in 1990 ....."We only have ten years left to fix this, man..."
The idiot of the year, AOC says it is 12 years.
Who knows what Al Gore says. I don't  but he has made stupid predictions in the past.

The hypocrisy of all these people makes their doomsay claims even harder to swallow. They fly around in planes, have huge entourages and staffers and tell us to downsize and live simpler.....Uhh, yeah.
I will always resist efforts to change my behavior until I see evidence that it makes sense.

INTMD8

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 30, 2019, 07:17:16 PM

People have a tendency to have an over-inflated sense of self importance.

That's why so many apocalyptic predictions fall within the range of an individuals lifetime..... less than a blink of the eye in comparison to the age of the earth.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

INTMD8

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 30, 2019, 02:46:08 AM

Earth's sea levels have fluctuated hundreds of feet in the past.  This is the regular accepted view.   A couple million years ago (much hotter climate) the sea levels are estimated to have been 150 feet higher.  At the last ice age (only 12,000 years ago) the sea levels were 400 feet lower.  

Yes, very interesting stuff, sea levels and climate fluctuation.

Looks much different when you take climate graphed over the last 200 or 1000 years and focus it out a hundred thousand or half a billion.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

chargervert

Guess what? the earth is going to warm,and the earth is going to cool again,and anything we do won't make a difference,we are just a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things! The Al Gores of the world are just techonolgy pimps,They have millions invested,and the snowflakes are buying the B.S. they are pimping! They got them believing that the sky is falling!

Kern Dog

Here is just ONE example of the Hypocrisy of which I wrote:

Mike DC

I won't defend Bernie's tax plans, but he's not a rich guy in the big scheme.  Somebody who has spent decades in congress, and only recently got a few million dollars in the bank after selling a book?  That's very little wealth for his situation.  

Seriously - a few million?  That's a nice 2-story house in a nice US city + putting some kids through college without debt + retiring at 65 with good insurance.  There was a time when that didn't sound so wildly rich in America.  

Nancy Pelosi has stacked up something like $100 million during a career in D.C. (and never written a book that anyone wanted to read).  Pick on her.  

Kern Dog

She is a turd as well. Most on that side are. My gripe is with hypocrisy.
As much as I disliked the policies of CA Governor Jerry Brown, he was fiscally conservative. He was not a tax and spend type. He was tighter with money than almost anyone in the GOP. I respected that he was true to his word.
A hypocrite is a terrible thing. If these people ever lived by the same rules that they try to push on us, they'd see why they are met with such resistance.

Mytur Binsdirti

News Clip Linked Coal to Climate Change — 106 Years Ago Today (107 now)

The key sentence;The effect MAY be considerable in a few centuries.

https://www.livescience.com/63334-coal-affecting-climate-century-ago.html

alfaitalia

Well he was right.....very advanced thinking for the time though.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mytur Binsdirti

How does one measure the weight of ll the carbon dioxide in the world if it's so light that it floats up into the atmosphere and does it eventually float down or does it stay up there forever?    :shruggy: