News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will Electric Cars Outsell Internal Combustion

Started by Ghoste, October 09, 2019, 06:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Long Before Electric Cars Dominate The Market

Five Years
Ten Years
Fifteen Years
More Than Fifteen
Never

Ponch ®

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 15, 2019, 11:11:02 PM
Quote from: cdr on October 14, 2019, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on October 14, 2019, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: cdr on October 12, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
:icon_smile_big:

Would you agree that environmental pollution increases the risk of getting cancer?

A few of us reading this thread are cancer survivors.    

I agree !! OH by the way I too am a cancer survivor . if you read my story in the link on the bottom you would have known that. it even says it in the link title.

WE drink more water, smoke fewer cigarettes, eat less meat and go to the doctor with more frequency.

Now THAT is the pussification of America.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

tan top

not sure if anyone else here is a fan of Scotty,  lot true stuff in his videos  :yesnod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73M80tZPSIg
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BSB67

This administration has not really undermined much of anything meaningful in today's in effect environmental stds.  This administration's effect is more like the slowing of a flywheel that was spinning out of control.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

I agree.
I feel that the climate is far more resilient than we are.  I see the GREEN movement as a reduction in freedoms and choices.  When they outlaw guns, red meat and gasoline cars, only the people in power will have them.

Mike DC

QuoteThis administration has not really undermined much of anything meaningful in today's ineffect environmental stds.  This administration effect is more like the slowing of a flywheel that was spinning out of control.

The Trump admin revoked an Obama-era mandate that Federal building projects must factor in the coming sea level rise.  That's pure short-sighted bad judgment.  The mandate already existed.  All they had to do was leave it alone.  But, umm, it was credited to Obama so I guess that was grounds to tear it up.  

The EPA's prosecutions of violations are at a 30-year low because of lack of resources.  Lots of presidents deserve blame for this but the Trump admin is arguably the worst.    

Underfunding an enforcement agency...  in practice it usually means they keep busting the little guys as much as ever, but they "negotiate with" (LOL) the big corporate players that do most of the damage.  

(BTW - it would be a NET GAIN for the govt to spend more money prosecuting the big IRS tax cheats.  But for some strange reason this never gets funded either.  It's another ongoing problem that keeps getting worsened.)

Mike DC

QuoteI agree.
I feel that the climate is far more resilient than we are.  I see the GREEN movement as a reduction in freedoms and choices.  When they outlaw guns, red meat and gasoline cars, only the people in power will have them.

Gun laws & environmental laws are two different subjects.  

The climate is resilient, yeah.  But most people don't want to live in a polluted shithole that won't be clean for decades to come.  That's what the USA would be if the environmental laws were tossed.  We need this stuff in the big picture.  

The USA is too big to outlaw gasoline burning in the foreseeable future.  EVs cannot replace the energy density of fossil fuels yet.  I just don't see it happening.  You cannot use a Prius to tow a boat or plow snow in rural Wyoming.  That kind of stuff is not even close to being workable in EVs.  

Old cars are a small niche hobby market anyway.  Modern vehicles are becoming fragile plastic laptops with wheels.  Whether it's electric or gasoline powered, either way the new vehicles in 20 years won't be hot-rodding material as we know it.  They are pretty unworkable even today.  And as manufacturing advances, it should get easier to do smaller-run products - that makes hot-rodding less reliant on new OEM vehicles for raw material.

ACUDANUT

Outlaw Cows and Horses too. They Fart and pollute the world...Come to think of it, so do Humans..:brickwall:

alfaitalia

Joking apart cows (and meat production in general) is one of the biggest causes of climate change...mainly due to the amount of methane produced (one of the worst greenhouse gases). It's the third biggest cause of climate change after burning fossil fuels and deforestation apparently.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 17, 2019, 02:24:44 AM
Joking apart cows (and meat production in general) is one of the biggest causes of climate change...mainly due to the amount of methane produced (one of the worst greenhouse gases). It's the third biggest cause of climate change after burning fossil fuels and deforestation apparently.

Cows are not the only animal that produces methane. If cow farts are bad, why not include every animal's farts as being bad for the environment? 

This is just like the movement to bad plastic straws because an 9 year old wrote an essay deeming them bad. If plastic straws are so bad, why not ban all plastics associated with food?

All this shaming and banning of products is less about the environment & more about control.

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 16, 2019, 08:59:32 PM

Modern vehicles are becoming fragile plastic laptops with wheels.  Whether it's electric or gasoline powered, either way the new vehicles in 20 years won't be hot-rodding material as we know it.  They are pretty unworkable even today.  And as manufacturing advances, it should get easier to do smaller-run products - that makes hot-rodding less reliant on new OEM vehicles for raw material.

EV's (even the ones right now) are "devices", like your phone.    You won't keep an old one running.    When your phone gets old, you just get a new, better one.    The same thought process will be accepted for EV's.

b5blue

The trend to electric will continue to gain ground and if for any reason oil prices spike it will do so even faster. I recall arguing with a retired engineer about hybrid cars possibility 25 years ago. He was convinced "were it possible, it would have been done" so there must be an inherent flaw in scaling up to a full production car.
 How much of an increase at the pump has you freaking out and consumables costs skyrocketing? The rest of the world can have cars and trucks running 600-1200cc engines but they are banned here? Oh they are "not safe on our roads" and perhaps the engine is a bit too dirty? BULL they are no more "unsafe" then my motorcycle and no more dirty than 1000s of mower/weed wacker/generator/blower (ect.) engines. Our market (USA) is a bizarre mix of what lobbyists and legislators will allow not an open field so any new or different auto has a hard uphill battle at best.
 Gas won the battle over electric and until some super battery is cheap and dependable gas will have it's place in many uses.    

BSB67

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 17, 2019, 06:11:54 AM

Cows are not the only animal that produces methane. If cow farts are bad, why not include every animal's farts as being bad for the environment?  

This is just like the movement to bad plastic straws because an 9 year old wrote an essay deeming them bad. If plastic straws are so bad, why not ban all plastics associated with food?

All this shaming and banning of products is less about the environment & more about control.

I was at a restaurant recently and asked for a straw for my water.  The gal says that it will be $3.  I asked why.  She said they want to discourage the use of plastic "for the environment".  Then I asked how my straw would harm the environment.  In some disgust, she responded by saying haven't you head  about plastic in the ocean. I then suggested that they should not put straws in the ocean.  Then I asked what her employer does with the extra money he's making by selling straws for $3.....putting the extra money in his pocket????  She was completely dumbfounded.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog

Good for you. The environment is not as fragile as these idiots believe. I see no reason to blatantly pollute or chop down trees for no good reason but these environment zealots are as delusional as a religious fanatic. THey would be much easier to believe if they had a more common sense approach.

green69rt

Quote from: BSB67 on October 17, 2019, 07:12:04 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 17, 2019, 06:11:54 AM

I was at a restaurant recently and asked for a straw for my water.  The gal says that it will be $3.  I asked why.  She said they want to discourage the use of plastic "for the environment".  Then I asked how my straw would harm the environment.  In some disgust, she responded by saying haven't you head  about plastic in the ocean. I then suggested that they should not put straws in the ocean.  Then I asked what her employer does with the extra money he's making by selling straws for $3.....putting the extra money in his pocket????  She was completely dumbfounded.

So, did you buy the straw??

BSB67

Yes.  Which reminds me.  I need to put some plastic straws in my car.

We do need environmental rules, but the save the environmental pendulum has swung way to far in the opposite direction.  People don't understand what a technically and scientifically unfounded save the environment Nazi society we've become.

Just to be clear.  I love the internal combustion engine, especially 2-stroke engines, but I don't hate EVs.  It has nothing to do with the environment for me.  And I don't think it does for most people.  I know several people with hybrid cars and it is not about the environment for any of them.  Most families have multiple cars.  One or more EVs can fit in my stable while I can still have my truck.  Young people in urban areas will flock to them as fast as the infrastructure can keep up.  I just don't think the 50% mark will be hard to hit.  I think the technology will be there, I think there will be enough desire, and the infrastructure is the question.

Don't you remember the 70s and early 80s when we all knew that muscle cars were dead?  Nobody in their wildest dream thought that a high performance car would ever be made again because of emission standards and fuel mileage.  My minivan would give any 383 4bbl car a run for its money today.

When EVs do come, we'll be racing them too.  Heck, we race lawnmowers.

The part that is going to really suck is when they take away my ICE, if I'm still around.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

70 sublime

My question would have been for the waitress is why are they throwing the garbage from the dinner into the ocean ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 17, 2019, 09:58:15 PM
Good for you. The environment is not as fragile as these idiots believe.

Still toeing the party line, eh?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 18, 2019, 12:02:27 PM

Still a clueless LIberal?

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 18, 2019, 06:41:09 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 18, 2019, 12:02:27 PM

Still a clueless LIberal?

So conversely, are you saying that Crazy Conservatives are for a bad environment? 

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

b5blue

So a car that's made of trash, runs on plastic and only emits water owned only by one who votes Conservative will stop all this bickering?  :nana:

odcics2

Quote from: b5blue on October 20, 2019, 07:37:44 AM
So a car that's made of trash, runs on plastic and only emits water owned only by one who votes Conservative will stop all this bickering?  :nana:

:rofl:

Some guys always have to bring politics into threads!    :whistling:

Hmmm, lets see... Ah, electric cars!   :scratchchin:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

Quote from: odcics2 on October 20, 2019, 07:17:48 AM

So conversely, are you saying that Crazy Conservatives are for a bad environment? 

What determines that my political party is crazy?
I am for traditional American values like gasoline burning cars, red meat, freedom from oppressive regulations, mandates and throat-choking Government. I don't like the "Progressive" movement where TV shows have to include every freak and minority member, all social programs favor the lazy over the people that play by the rules and work, illegal border crossers get welcomed instead of deported....
The green movement is embraced by the left, not the right. The left shows far more interest in electric cars than the right does. American manufacturing went overseas for many reasons, one of which was oppressive environmental regulations that do not exist elsewhere.
I am not against clean air and water. I am against rules that chase away business while having zero impact on the environment.
Globalists and leftists have become one. They would rather have America's living standard lowered to match the rest of the world than to allow us to continue to lead the way.
No thanks....I'll stay with my party despite their faults.

alfaitalia

Over here the green movement is embraced by both left and right......they would be stupid not to if they want to win any elections!!!.....I don't see your political beliefs should come into it much with so many people actually caring what happens to the planet. I vote to the right......but as much as I love red meat and fast petrol cars I'm not blind and realise that sooner rather than later we are going to have to do something about the fuck up we are making of this planet....we only have the one. Saying the climate change is not affected by us to any degree with the evidence so overpowering is clearly ridiculous.... I too did not want to believe it......but I cant deny it now.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!