News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Differences between the XH and XP 1970 Chargers

Started by Kern Dog, October 11, 2019, 09:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Hey guys...
A few months ago I bought a wrecked '70 Charger from a friend. It had been sitting since 1998 in his backyard and maybe a few years more before he bought it. It needs another RH frame rail and apron, a new core support and K member. I have all the stuff here to fix it but the point of this thread is to shed light on the differences between the XH and the XP models.
The 1970 Charger lineup consisted of 3 models.
Base models were the XH.
Mid level models were XP.
R/T models were the XS.
I am no expert so I will list what I know and hopefully, other members will chime in with their input.

Kern Dog

To my knowledge, the XH models all had bench seats, column shift, had no clock or tach and also lacked upper door pads.
First up, my XP 500.

Kern Dog

This XH of mine has no pads, similar to a Belvedere.

Kern Dog

Right door.

Kern Dog

Again, bench seat, column shift.

Kern Dog

No tach, not even a clock.

Kern Dog

My XP 500 has the aluminum taillight panel trim as do all R/Ts. It also has reflectors in the lenses.
The XH has no trim panel and the lenses are different, they have a silver outline inset.

Kern Dog

The XH of mine came with it's original 383 2 barrel, the top engine for the model from what I understand. It had A/C, Power steering but aside from that, I don't know. No fender tag came with it and the broadcast sheet was too far gone to read.
My XP 500 (R/T fake) came with a 318 but a 383 2 barrel was the only big block option available. Not even a 383 4 barrel was offered in the 1970 Charger models.
Feel free to add any info that I have not already mentioned.

Kern Dog

68 Satellite Left side for comparison:

6bblgt

383HP 4bbl (335hp HOLLEY equipped orange painted engine) was available in both XH29 & XP29 for 1970

Kern Dog

Yeah?
I was under the impression that they were not. Good to know, thank you.

kent

Yeah Kern I have the 383HP in my 500 and she's orange and came with the Holley and the HP manifolds. #'s matching.
Kent

Daytona R/T SE

My '70 500 was a 383 4 barrel car.

Your XH should have the '69 style chrome tail light bezels.  

The rear upper interior quarter metal trim panels are shaped differently on the Charger than on the other b - bodies, at least they were different than the Coronet ones I compared mine to...  :Twocents:

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Wingnut426

The metal strip at the top of the door and rear interior panels come stainless and color keyed. I am assuming the XH cars are color keyed and the XP and XS are stainless? WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

ACUDANUT

My 70XH came with a loaded 68 interior, complete with 4 PW.  :nana:

Kern Dog

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 12, 2019, 07:29:37 AM

The rear upper interior quarter metal trim panels are shaped differently on the Charger than on the other b - bodies, at least they were different than the Coronet ones I compared mine to...  :Twocents:

I was under the understanding that the XH did NOT have the chrome accents around the taillights. I'm still learning though.  Maybe if I can find a part number on one of mine I can post it to see how it compares to a '69 model. I have 3 spare taillights in the attic I bought when I first got my XP ...way back in 2000. I didn't know then that the '69 and '70 used different lenses.

Kern Dog

A fender tag to another XH.

Kern Dog

THat tag came from the guy that sold me this car. He thinks that it came from a car that was parted out.
I got 3 doors from him today. 2 of them are also FK5 Burnt Orange and also XH cars. Hard to read the VIN though:

Kern Dog

In person it looks like XH29G0G17809?  I can't make out the last number. It is another December 1969 build.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 12, 2019, 08:22:01 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 12, 2019, 07:29:37 AM

I was under the understanding that the XH did NOT have the chrome accents around the taillights. I'm still learning though.  Maybe if I can find a part number on one of mine I can post it to see how it compares to a '69 model. I have 3 spare taillights in the attic I bought when I first got my XP ...way back in 2000. I didn't know then that the '69 and '70 used different lenses.

;)

VegasCharger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on October 12, 2019, 08:50:19 AM
The metal strip at the top of the door and rear interior panels come stainless and color keyed. I am assuming the XH cars are color keyed and the XP and XS are stainless? WINGNUT

I can confirm that the XH door panel upper trim was color keyed as I parted out a 70 Charger XH back in 2014.

:cheers:

70 sublime

I do not have the VIN so do not know for sure

I talked to my dad this morning about it

In 1969 he bought a brand new 1970 Charger off the dealership lot for $3800 ( he was comparing it to a 69 Super Bee that was bright yellow and black stripe for $4100)
It was a pale blue colour
PS PB auto , bench seat ,metal upper door panels
383 magnum motor with 4 barrel carb and a limited slip rear end
He hated that motor because they kept trying to run it on the cheaper gas which did not work well and the carb was lots of trouble until the dealership just put a different carb on it

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kent

Kent

Kern Dog

I run Holleys on several cars, even ones that sit awhile. They have been great for me.