News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Gas Tank/Filler Pipe

Started by john108, October 16, 2019, 09:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

68 Charger
Many years ago, I removed the Gas Tank and Filler Pipe.
I seem to remember dropping the gas tank while the filler pipe was still in place.
I can't remember much else about it.
Is there a sequence for re-instilling these components? Including vent line.
Thank You
John

green69rt

Ah grasshopper... the tank install is the easy part.  But, let's look at some stuff.  There is a rubber pad between the tank and the trunk floor, it keeps the tank from rattling against the trunk floor.  Then, there might be rubber insulators between the straps and the tank. Nothing special about these.  In the end you need something to ground the tank transmitter.   It looks like this.....

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/all-models/parts/mf290.html

As for the filler tube, that takes some work.  The grommet that it fits into is really tight so don't give up, a little soapy water helps a lot.  It goes in after the tank is in place, at least I think so.  Oh, and the vent line goes into a rubber grommet into the trunk floor and vents inside the frame rail, weird but that's how they did it.

kent

I have a 70 version. Should be the same I think. Someone will confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong.
Mine had no insulators between straps and the tank. Yeah the vent can be tight but bends easily. I test fitted my tank in April and it was not that big a job. I keep the filler pipe lose until I wiggled it into the tank and sort of snugged everything up together. But my car was upside down on the rotisseri at the time. :icon_smile_big:
And I will do the same during final mounting....I think??

Oh yeah don't forget the tank side restraint bracket on the passenger side frame rail. 10-4? I don't think it will go in once the tank is installed???
Kent

70 sublime

Quote from: kent on October 17, 2019, 04:44:57 AM
I have a 70 version.

Oh yeah don't forget the tank side restraint bracket on the passenger side frame rail. 10-4? I don't think it will go in once the tank is installed???

The restrain bracket is a 70 Charger thing
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

john108

So, does this imply that the filler pipe can not be installed prior to the tank.
Then the tank is raised and slid over the pipe, with all the seals in place.
??????????????????????????

green69rt

Quote from: john108 on October 19, 2019, 08:07:16 PM
So, does this imply that the filler pipe can not be installed prior to the tank.

Personally, I think that would be the hardest way to do it.  Having the tank in place and fastened down tight and then you can just use your hands to insert the filler seems to be easier to me.

It's hard to describe but with the tank in and the grommet installed in the tank, you can move the tube around till you get it into the tank then position it to attach to the fender.  I would guess that people have done it other ways, just what I did.

One thing to think about, with the tube screwed into place and putting the tank in, now you risk moving the tube around and possible flexing the fender!!

green69rt

Mine had no insulators between straps and the tank.

I would guess you are right, I just added them because I had the material and I was looking at possible squeak points.   But, my tank is completly isolated from ground so the little gas tank ground strap is real important!

gtx6970

Quote from: john108 on October 19, 2019, 08:07:16 PM

IMO this is the ONLY way to do it

I tried to install the filler tube after tank was in, and had to pull it out and install tube first

darbgnik

I installed the filler tube in my 70 after the tank was installed.

Lube it up, slide it in farther than final location, then pull it up into the fender.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

jlatessa

INTMD8

Agree on the filler tube. I put the tank into place and had the straps on but not tightened, nuts only a few threads on. 

This gave enough room to easily install the fill tank from the top.

My question is, what is supposed to seal the filler door to the quarter panel? Sealant?  I don't see a gasket available but could just cut one out of some material if it's supposed to have one .
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

tan top

if we are talking about the same thing , there are two gaskets , one between the flip top gas cap base & top of quarter panel ,  the other between the filler  pipe & underside of the quarter panel
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

INTMD8

Quote from: tan top on February 09, 2020, 09:32:05 PM
if we are talking about the same thing , there are two gaskets , one between the flip top gas cap base & top of quarter panel ,  the other between the filler  pipe & underside of the quarter panel

Yes that's sounds like what I would expect to be there. When I took mine apart there was nothing. I'll try to find them. Thank you.

INTMD8

JerseyJoe

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 17, 2019, 08:51:29 AM
I have a 70 version.

The restrain bracket is a 70 Charger thing

I know the OP has a '68, but the frame rail bracket does go in with the tank installed. Did mine yesterday  :2thumbs:

john108

Are you suggesting that the 68 has or doesn't have that bracket??
I don't remember but if it does, please post a picture.

kent

Good to know Joe. Thanks.  Might be better to install after tank is in eh? More wiggle room. 10-4?
Kent