News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for the ride on mower crowd... Oil

Started by 440, October 17, 2019, 08:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long story short we have a 22hp John Deere mower (hydrostatic) but the wife doesn't like us putting excessive hours on it or doing the "rough" jobs with it, for argument sake I've determined that I need "my" mower that I can do whatever the heck I want to with it.

I've been back and forth what would suit my needs and keep coming back to the mower as the best solution. A tractor is just too big to run down to the mail box and back or to get in and around the garden beds, mow (slash) pathways in the paddocks, pull a rake, carry tools around and rubbish to the burn pile in a tipping mower trailer.

I've been looking at old cheap manual mowers (non hydrostatic) as they seem far more bullet proof, and if I break it I fix it, easy (and save the argument)

Ideally I would like a Bolens lawn tractor but everything in that small tractor size, but slightly bigger then a ride on seem impossible to find here in Aus.  :shruggy:

Anyways, on my seemingly endless search I came across a Victa 3912 12hp 6 speed mower that looks kind of like a Charger (or something from Star Track), I didn't like it at first but It's growing on me. It's cheap and runs, the perfect candidate.

Basically as I can't find much info on these are the transmissions reliable and overall a decent mower? Is it a cone clutch type drive? I'm not sure if Victa was sold in the US (possibly under a different brand) but hopefully there is a mower mechanic from Aus here that can shed some light.

I kinda like it, needs some paint but it will probably clean up quite well.

This is Ideally what I'd want but none to be found here...   :'(

krops cars

Because then I'd also need to get a tow behind slasher for it. A heavy duty mower is a one stop shop.

RallyeMike

That Vista has the same font/markings as an old MTD (sears/Craftsman) mower here in the States, so googled it. It appears to be the same. MTD is a common mower here.

I did the same as you: I have a nice John Deere for general use, and picked up a (free) 1980's 38/12 MTD that I use to cut the uneven/brushy areas, pull a trailer around, and generally abuse. I had to spend a couple hours on it to get it working again, but it seems pretty solid and it keeps the hours down on the Deere.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

I think your right. After much research and a fluke photo it appears to be made by Noma which make the Sears/Craftsman mowers. Noma 12/39 for 12hp 39" cut. There is hardly any info on them here and seem quite rare or hard to find for some reason. Looking at the same era Sears/Craftsman mowers the pan is identical but the hood is the only difference between brands. Victa must have just rebranded and imported them for the Aussie market.

Someone else obviously wants it as well as they keep bidding it up  ::)

Probably going to end up overpaying for it but it will make for a nice mower once fixed up.

Here's a picture of a different one (same model though), the front lens and/or corner lenses are broken on every other picture of these so I imagine it's hard to find them in tact.

c00nhunterjoe

I have an early 2000s john deere gts45, 54" hydro. I run everything over with it, tow trailers, carts and whatnot. Mow 2 acres here with it, around trees and shrubs, big rocky gardens. You name it, she does it. You can pick them up reasonably priced.

Briggs and many others say to NOT use 10w40 in their engines. The best response I have come across is that early multigrade 10w40 dino oils sheared down too quickly and caused problems.

All oils except the recently approved Vanguard synthetic 15w50 top out on the chart at 100f or 38c, and the use of 10w30 above 80f/27c could lead to increased oil consumption.

Many people have used 10w40 in these engines for years and I'm sure these engines don't particularly care what oil they are fed as long as they get fresh oil from time to time.

Being the hot climate here 10w40 seems like a better choice even though Briggs don't recommend it. I came across a synthetic 10w40 high zinc mower oil that fits the bill perfectly.

Would you still use the recommended SAE 30, 10w30 or step outside the box and go with your gut?

sunfire69

I use straight 30w oil in my mowers (4 riding and 2 push) and have never had a problem. the engines are 2 Briggs opposed twins, a Briggs 15.5 hp single and a Kholer twin, both push mowers are 5 hp Briggs ...even in my 47 Cub, it's straight 30w. all the engines are 20 plus years old. Don't over think it... or spend it

Considering it regularly gets to between 40-43c in summer 104-110f I'd like the extra protection. I don't plan on mowing much in that temp but I will likely still run around the property in that temp occasionally.

This is a 12hp Briggs I/C in a ride on.