News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 and/or Daytona rear waterfall trunk rain gutter repair (Plug)

Started by hemi68charger, October 21, 2019, 08:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hello all.

Trying to do some research for myself and the possibility of getting intel on repair solutions for rust around the plug water drain channel at the bottom of the rear window plug. I can't get Vintage Metal Works to make me a repair panel, so I'm left to the experience of my body man (who is more than capable), but hasn't never actually done a plug repair on a C500 or Daytona. So, wanted to see if there was any experiences in "been there, done that" already. No sense in reinventing the wheel if there's a proven solution already.. Maybe use an existing decklid filler panel from something else? 3rd gen Charger? 4door B-body?

the car has been totally blasted and epoxied, so what you see is good metal... and holes..  ;D

Here's what I have.. Not really bad.. But, the lip for the trunk weather strip was never there for the most part, a total mess up on plug design which apparently was addressed later since my other 3 C500's I've owned never had that issue....

I placed this on a couple of Facebook pages too, so this may be a repeat for some of you..

Thanks..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DAY CLONA

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

mopar346

Yep, a donor trunk rail would make it easy enough. I'd only section what I needed but if I was gonna replace the whole run I'd look at a C-boat for the donor since that appears to be longer than a typical Charger being squared off instead of a rounded corner.

gtx6970

Quote from: mopar346 on October 21, 2019, 03:29:16 PM
Yep, a donor trunk rail would make it easy enough. I'd only section what I needed but if I was gonna replace the whole run I'd look at a C-boat for the donor since that appears to be longer than a typical Charger being squared off instead of a rounded corner.

this

chaaargerb

I always thought the 71-74 B-Body rear gutter lip was very close to the 500 lip. Maybe even a little longer.

A383Wing

Quote from: chaaargerb on October 26, 2019, 09:29:25 AM
I always thought the 71-74 B-Body rear gutter lip was very close to the 500 lip. Maybe even a little longer.

it is.....I'm using one for mine

Bryan

DAY CLONA

Quote from: A383Wing on October 26, 2019, 01:09:54 PM
Quote from: chaaargerb on October 26, 2019, 09:29:25 AM

it is.....I'm using one for mine

Bryan

Yes the 71-4 CHARGER trunk gutter rail is almost ideally exact, the "top profile" curve is right on with the Daytona/C500 trunk front edge profile, once you liberate the gutter from the 71-4 CHARGER dutchman panel, it'll be more pliable to get it to follow the Daytona/C500 trunk skin/plug convex... although the 71-4 B bodie (Plymouth & Dodge) dutchman panels look the same, the Plymouth gutter area is slightly deeper and the profile of the lip won't line up with the 2nd gen Charger side rails unless your prepared for a lot of work...the AMD panel being offered for the 71-74 B bodies, is tooled off the Plymouth piece, so don't bother using it unless you want to do a lot of surgery to the lip...concentrate on finding an original 71-4 CHARGER dutchman panel

mike  

A383Wing

hemi68charger

Thanks guys... I'll post something out there.. I don't think they make one for a 71-74 Dutchman panel..

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on October 26, 2019, 05:49:02 PM
I'm using one off of a '72 Charger

Bryan

Bryan, you have a picture of it in place? Close up of the water fall contour?

Thanks..
Troy

A383Wing

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 27, 2019, 07:55:32 PM

Bryan

Thanks..

No, I don't...the Dutchman panel is still sitting in the trunk of the Daytona...along with all the other parts that I need to still put on...sorry

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on October 27, 2019, 08:20:08 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 27, 2019, 07:55:32 PM

Bryan

Thanks..

No, I don't...the Dutchman panel is still sitting in the trunk of the Daytona...along with all the other parts that I need to still put on...sorry

A close up of the piece itself will be good. I can see the shape of it..
Troy

A383Wing

hemi68charger

Thanks Bryan.. Maybe hold it up by the original plug water channel on the Daytona so I can see the curvature of the 7174 compared to the Daytona.. That make sense?
Troy

aerolith

Hi Troy,

Thats a real shame it got so rusty.
I thought maybe it was a 70 Challenger dutchman that was real close too?
I had a new AMD one here for a mates Chally and it looked very adaptable to me.

A clever guy could weld in 'piece by piece', ''save as much original as you can'', was always the motto.
If I was local I would be more than happy to do it for you fella.

Best wishes from the Limey C500 guy. :cheers:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623