News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When to paint tail light panel area black ?

Started by chargernut69, October 21, 2019, 01:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargernut69

Got my main car Charger body finally painted and clear coated.....   many years in the process.  Yeah !

Now a question --  when should I scuff up the area around the tail lights and paint it with the  "organisol" matte black ?

a.) Should I do it now while the car is still taped up and untouched yet regarding sanding/buffing out the clear coat, etc. ?

b.) Or should I spray it black at the end after I have cleaned up and buffed the car before I get ready to put in the tail lights, bumper, etc. ?

Seems it would be easier to use the a.) method to avoid spray getting on final shine ?     ---   or other thoughts  ?

Thanks,
Jack

green69rt

Quote from: chargernut69 on October 21, 2019, 01:52:42 PM
Got my main car Charger body finally painted and clear coated.....   many years in the process.  Yeah !

Now a question --  when should I scuff up the area around the tail lights and paint it with the  "organisol" matte black ?

a.) Should I do it now while the car is still taped up and untouched yet regarding sanding/buffing out the clear coat, etc. ?

b.) Or should I spray it black at the end after I have cleaned up and buffed the car before I get ready to put in the tail lights, bumper, etc. ?

Seems it would be easier to use the a.) method to avoid spray getting on final shine ?     ---   or other thoughts  ?

Thanks,
Jack

I used "B" but not by any thought process.  I just did it because it was time.  Not a big effort to mask the back off again. :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

maxwellwedge

Well - if you are following factory procedures.....
If the car is Hamtramck built - it is Organosol.
St Louis cars used normal paint.
Any Organosol or black painted areas (tail panels, stripes, hood etc.) were always done before body paint and masked off.

chargernut69

Thanks for the input...   

Think since the chassis is already in my PVC pipe/plastic tarp paint booth, I'm going to mask and spray after I sand out the tail section clear coat orange peel this weekend.   Otherwise I'll get it all full of dirt if I have to spray later when I move it in the middle of the garage...

Going to use Summit Racing single-stage urethane "Matte Black" (UP355G) for the tail...   will let you know how it turns out.   ;)

RallyeMike

Just be sure to cover the entire car. Overspray get into places you would think is physically impossible!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

Don't make the mistake I did.  In the picture below, see that the black is between the chrome trim and the painted quarter extension.  That's supposed to be painted body color, I did it wrong, although it doesn't show much.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: green69rt on October 31, 2019, 12:15:07 PM
Don't make the mistake I did.  In the picture below, see that the black is between the chrome trim and the painted quarter extension.  That's supposed to be painted body color, I did it wrong, although it doesn't show much.

Cant you repaint 1/4 extension to fix? LEON.

green69rt

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 31, 2019, 08:05:31 PM
Quote from: green69rt on October 31, 2019, 12:15:07 PM

Cant you repaint 1/4 extension to fix? LEON.

This is a while back.  But what is done is done.  It's one of those things that gets put off till later  When does later come?  Not that big of a deal but if other can avoid the mistake then it is better.