News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight doors

Started by abqmoparbill, October 27, 2019, 06:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abqmoparbill

I have a problem with the headlight concealing doors on my 1970 Charger.   When the headlight switch is on, the doors open and the lights come on.  The dimmer switch operates correctly, high beams come on.  When the headlight switch is turned off the headlights go out but the doors remain open.  I can close the doors manually using the wheel on the door motor.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

70 sublime

Did you try to close the doors manually with the ignition key still turned on ?
Try that first if you have not and see if they will close electrically
Mine were doing that and would close if you got them started
Turned out to just be a dirty connection inside the head light door motor limiter switch 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JerseyJoe

Quote from: abqmoparbill on October 27, 2019, 06:54:34 AM
I have a problem with the headlight concealing doors on my 1970 Charger.   When the headlight switch is on, the doors open and the lights come on.  The dimmer switch operates correctly, high beams come on.  When the headlight switch is turned off the headlights go out but the doors remain open.  I can close the doors manually using the wheel on the door motor.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Are you using a repro front harness? I did and the two wires that plug into the door motor were backwards. I chose to correct this at the relay (just swapped the two wires there). Works fine now.

Alaskan_TA

With all the headlight door motor problems reported one these cars over the years, has anyone figured a way to open & close the doors mechanically from inside the car yet?  :scratchchin:

71charger_fan

Use a test light or a VOM and see if you have a voltage signal at the "close" terminal on the motor when you turn the lights off. If not, your relay likely went bad. If there's no voltage at the motor, check for voltage at the close terminal on the relay. If there's voltage there and not at the motor, you have a broken wire. If there's no voltage at the relay terminal, you need a relay.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8077.25.html