News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydroboost Brakes

Started by garner7555, October 27, 2019, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

My car stops good at cruise (when vacuum is higher) but in low speed or stop and go the pedal requires a lot more effort than I would like so I plan to swap it out this winter to a hydroboost setup.  I actually ordered a kit back in the end of May or first of June from Sweeting Performance   https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/    but it never showed up and I ended up having to get a refund.    So now I'm tring to decide if I should build a junkyard kit, or order a kit from another supplier.  Is there a thread somewhere showing everything needed to build my own kit?  Getting hoses made is not a big deal, the hard parts needed to install hydro unit and which hydro unit to sorce are my main questions.   I want to think Dino did this install in the past, did he make a thread?          Thanks in advance   :2thumbs:   
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

I ran a vacuum reserve canister before cam change. It extended boosting enough to make the MP509 cam livable in traffic. I've come full circle over 24 years and just run manual now. (I have Mopar 11 3/4 rotor disks up front and stock rear drums.)  You might consider trying, it costs a lot less!  :2thumbs:

garner7555

Quote from: b5blue on October 28, 2019, 12:10:06 AM
  I ran a vacuum reserve canister before cam change. It extended boosting enough to make the MP509 cam livable in traffic. I've come full circle over 24 years and just run manual now. (I have Mopar 11 3/4 rotor disks up front and stock rear drums.)  You might consider trying, it costs a lot less!  :2thumbs:

I have a canister hooked up to mine now, but it didn't help much.   I am running 14" front brakes with 4 piston calipers and 12" disc out back.   If I was running a different setup, then I would be inclined to use manual, but with my setup and driving style it makes more sense to go with the hydro.   I am hoping to build my own kit from junkyard parts rather than pay full price for a kit.  What I really wish is that they made an electric brake booster.   :scratchchin:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

Sounds like a nice setup!  :2thumbs: When my booster started failing it was insane how much pressure it took to stop.  :o  (So I know your pain.)

Mike DC

Disc brakes require more boost than drums.  When sports cars started getting 4-wheel discs in the 1970s/80s the factories had to give them bigger boosters.     

garner7555

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 28, 2019, 03:32:45 PM

Disc brakes require more boost than drums.  When sports cars started getting 4-wheel discs in the 1970s/80s the factories had to give them bigger boosters.     

That is something a lot of people don't realize I think.  That's also why so many OEM setups run hydroboost as well.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod