News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kissimmee-2020/collections/tony-dagostino-collect

Started by nascarxx29, October 30, 2019, 09:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparstuart on November 08, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
mine is 8 x 24  inches  and it came mounted in my Superbird nose  , im sure not original , but maybe as a dealer replacement part . My parts came off a car that was parted out circa 1978 and my nose was pretty beat up already and full of thick bondo when i got it.

I've seen the Daytona style rectangular mesh in other Superbirds over the decades, only a small hand-full though, Bob Malcolm has an original untouched survivor Bird with the "Daytona" mesh as well... and I've viewed a few Daytona's over the decades with the Honeycomb mesh as well, both cars have a approx 24" wide opening, with the Daytona requiring a 6"X24" piece of mat'l and the Bird requiring an 8"x24" piece..

My personal opinion on the "mesh swap" is perhaps a multiple vendor supply issue, and the mat'l being supplied in bulk rather than pre-cut, mid to late 69 was the production window for both these cars, and with the very nature of their assy being performed at various sites, I'm sure parts/materials as well as manpower was utilized/shared.. the Malcolm's survivor Bird is interesting as it not only has the Daytona style grille material, but when you look at the hood pin bezels one side is drilled and mounted in the "X" formation with regards to the bezel screws, and the other side is the "+" formation, almost as if two different workers were installing the bezels at the same time, but with one familiar with working on Daytona or Plymouth/Dodge A12 bezel installs (Creative Industries only uniqueness), and one accustomed to the new for 70 "standard" production line bezel install offered on most 70 production line Mopar models....

Mike

TONY

Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 24, 2019, 11:28:08 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 08, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
mine is 8 x 24  inches  and it came mounted in my Superbird nose  , im sure not original , but maybe as a dealer replacement part . My parts came off a car that was parted out circa 1978 and my nose was pretty beat up already and full of thick bondo when i got it.

I've seen the Daytona style rectangular mesh in other Superbirds over the decades, only a small hand-full though, Bob Malcolm has an original untouched survivor Bird with the "Daytona" mesh as well... and I've viewed a few Daytona's over the decades with the Honeycomb mesh as well, both cars have a approx 24" wide opening, with the Daytona requiring a 6"X24" piece of mat'l and the Bird requiring an 8"x24" piece..

My personal opinion on the "mesh swap" is perhaps a multiple vendor supply issue, and the mat'l being supplied in bulk rather than pre-cut, mid to late 69 was the production window for both these cars, and with the very nature of their assy being performed at various sites, I'm sure parts/materials as well as manpower was utilized/shared.. the Malcolm's survivor Bird is interesting as it not only has the Daytona style grille material, but when you look at the hood pin bezels one side is drilled and mounted in the "X" formation with regards to the bezel screws, and the other side is the "+" formation, almost as if two different workers were installing the bezels at the same time, but with one familiar with working on Daytona or Plymouth/Dodge A12 bezel installs (Creative Industries only uniqueness), and one accustomed to the new for 70 "standard" production line bezel install offered on most 70 production line Mopar models....

Mike

good info there

odcics2

I could see a Bird getting a slotted grille with left over Daytona material, but Daytonas were all built and shipped from Creative before Bird work started.   :Twocents: 

Chrysler was known for using up old inventory on next years models!

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?