News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my first tank of gas with my current Charger July 5 2019

Started by 70 sublime, July 06, 2019, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Well I had hoped to have done this last summer but never got that far

My car is the bare minimum of everything just to get it going for now
About the only thing I took the car out to get done was the new dual exhaust last week

So for my first drive I went the back way into town so there was not much traffic
(we live on a dairy farm about 5 miles from town)
See how the car handles on pavement with a little go then stomp on the brakes ....
4 wheel drums found out I had to tighten up the front brakes a little

The car is still the same paint I got it in when bought and has to be at least 35 years old
Nothing pretty
Living in the country the car was totally covered in dust and dirt from sitting around

My thinking was this car is not the almost glow in the dark green my last 70 Charger was so just maybe it will blend in better and not get too much attention ....

The whole way into town I kept thinking please please start again after I turn it off at gas station
Yes I did turn it off once and start it again before I left home  :2thumbs:

Get to the gas station about 8:30 at night and the sky was very dark as it was thinking about raining
Nobody was at the pumps so I got to pick the best place to stop
Just got regular gas and for anyone that cares it was $1.26.6/ liter   :'(

Another car had pulled up to the next pump just before I went in to pay

About two minutes later the other driver came in and asked Hey is that your Charger ? Can I take a picture to show my buddies ?? So I said yes

Funny part was when I came out he was about ready to drive away so I yelled at him Hey you have a cup of coffee on the roof of your car  :smilielol:
Guess he got a little distracted and forgot he set it there

So not even in a dirty old black Charger can you even get gas for the first time without talking to someone  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The life of a Charger owner

Every one please share their first gas fill up story with the Charger they have now boring or not
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

comet_666

1993 or 1994, I had the car for awhile, no front bumper, no hood, no exhaust, no inspection, no registration sticker or plates but i had been working on it and just put new headers on it, gas gauge didnt work and i figuered it needed gas. My sisters boyfriend and I decided to take it down to the gas station, maybe 1/2 mile down the road and get some gas...open headers and all.
I didn't see the cop until i was back in my dads driveway and happened to look in the side mirror...i never looked in the rear view mirror because it vibrated so bad. I shut the car off..
he comes walking up...this your car..yes sir..i never want to see it on the road again.
I think I got off lucky

Kern Dog

I have a few but none of them are earth shattering.
* I was driving it in the original green color, black steelies and a general rough appearance. I was also dirty looking from work and from tinkering with the car afterwards. I stopped to get a few gallons and a rowdy looking biker guy with a woman pulled in on a bad ass Harley/Davidson. He leaned in and said..."Heads up, the MAN is right over there". I thought it was funny because it seemed as if he identified with me for being a rowdy looking guy as well.
* A few years ago with the car essentially finished, I was at the pump when the clerk popped out and said.."I have TWO healthy kidneys! If uoi ever need one I will gladly trade one for that car!"

chargerperson

First fill up after the restoration was complete I pulled into a combination gas/service station with actual mechanics (one of the few real gas stations still in NYC area).  It was NJ which does not allow self service so once one guy came out and saw the car he called all three of the mechanics out to check out the car.  We had the hood open and they were underneath the car checking out the car.  Took several minutes for the fill up

Ghoste

First Charger fill up was a long time ago, I dont really remember it.  But even then, the cars got attention, I do recall around 1980 so it would be one of my early Charger fills and it was when  you had attendants fill your tank.  The guy was admiring the car and talking about when fuel started coming out the fill neck.  He panicked because he just gave me a lot more fuel than I asked for.  He wanted the extra cash and I didn't have any more than what I asked for.  Pay attention to your job.

doctor4766

I'd just finished filling up my tank for the very first time and was inside at the cashier paying when a guy comes in and asks if that was my Charger outside. I replied yes and he told me there was a huge puddle of fuel under the car.
Seems I hadn't tightened the sender unit properly.
Well they shut down the whole station and made me push the car well away from the pumps while they cleaned up.
So what should have been a proud moment after the rebuild turned into quite an embarrassment  ::)
Gotta love a '69

70 sublime

Quote from: doctor4766 on July 10, 2019, 03:37:53 AM
I'd just finished filling up my tank for the very first time and was inside at the cashier paying when a guy comes in and asks if that was my Charger outside. I replied yes and he told me there was a huge puddle of fuel under the car.
Seems I hadn't tightened the sender unit properly.
Well they shut down the whole station and made me push the car well away from the pumps while they cleaned up.
So what should have been a proud moment after the rebuild turned into quite an embarrassment  ::)

I had the same fear and kept looking under my car as I was filling it up to make sure nothing was leaking  ;)

LaOtto70Charger

I had the a similar leaking sending unit problem two years ago.  Replaced the tank with new unit, and I put 5 gallons or so in by can.  No leaks.  So I drove to the gas station and was filling up when I noticed the pool under the car.  Kept leaking for a long time.

First attendant in the store had no clue what to do.  2nd person grabbed the clean up gear and came out.  Had to wait for a tow truck to bring it back home.

Kern Dog

I had a sending unit leak in a 74 Duster.....Beautiful car too. I learned of the leak the first time I filled it up!

BSB67

1) To the OP - Nice story.  Thanks for sharing.

2) To Kern Dog - That Duster, in that color scheme, w/ a 4 spd. is in my top 5 cars list.  I'm not in the market for a car, but if I came across one of those, I might buy it.

My GTS sat for 13 years.  Body in pretty rough shape.  Got a wild hair a couple years ago and decided to clean out the garage and see if it would run, and take it for a ride.  With minimal effort, it started right up.  First stop, the gas station.  Same deal, as I pull up I'm wondering if I should turn it off.  A few guys come over to chat.  I actually think that today, you see so few of these cars actually out and about, people don't seem to care that its a total rag.

Anyways, for some reason, with this car, half of the people that talk to me about it usually come back with either: 1) I use to have one of these, or 2) my buddy had one exactly like this.   Funny part is that I've I've had this car since 1977 and literally 1,000 people have said that to me despite there were only 50 of these made.   You just roll with it.

It started up and went on my way.  It did not take lone before my confidence was up to the point that I was beating the snot out of it, just like I used to.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

70 sublime

I am now up to 225 miles since my first fill up just going for a drive in the evenings ( because it has been so hot around here )
Made the round trip every time with no troubles  :2thumbs:
Just the typical kids with their fart can cars wanting to race
My car is useless at the bottom end with just a 2 barrel but it is good to know it looks fast just the way it is :icon_smile_wink:
Not sure where the top end is yet but I know it will do 95
Another thing I have discovered since driving it is that it likes to squeak the back wheels going around corners on pavement
Jacked it up after I got home one night and sure enough it has a limited slip in it as both wheels wanted to turn the same way when turned by hand COOL

RECHRGD

Sold my '68 almost a year ago.  Although I miss the car, I don't miss all of the attention that came with it.  In fact, that was one of the reasons I let it go.  After owning it almost twenty years, I had heard all the stories and comments that you could dream of, over and over and over.  In the earlier years I kind of enjoyed the attention.  But at 71, I guess I qualify as just a 'grumpy old man'....
13.53 @ 105.32

ACUDANUT

I was just filling up last week and had panties,thongs and Bra's flying my way with phone numbers written on them.
Then I woke up.  :brickwall:

J.Bond

Been busy this year, A/C contractor, Had a chance back in early May to head out for a first run and a little fuel, a bit for the tractor and a bit for the Charger. Since then, my car has been relocated to the barn, to free up the spray booth and shop. Between friends, family and work, every weekend since May has been taken up. Anyway, got up yesterday, determined to have a little Charger time, a couple of small carb adjustments and I was ready to go......

Fill up, fill up a spare can, look up, and out of no where, Big Sugar, 66 Charger, rolling by!!!!!
Ron and wife, spun around and headed back for a hello, how many times do chance Charger meetings happen?

Any way, great to meet up with friends and get a chance to enjoy my ride!!!

And all I needed was Fuel...

70 sublime

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my car
It was built Aug 7 1968
Since getting it on the road it has been just over a month of nice driving ( came home every time ) and have just past the 500 mile mark  :2thumbs:

Got to say I am very impressed with the 383 motor
Has enough go and not real stupid on gas and I can still proudly say I have a big block

ACUDANUT

:cheers:.
383's have a forged crank. They are great dependable engines that can take higher RPM's.  :cheers:

lloyd3

My car was "born-on" (SPD) July 5, 1968.  Nice anniversary date.

70 sublime

Well it looks like my summer driving is over
On last weekend it was over cast but I went for a drive anyways
Filled the tank full of gas
Put about 20 miles on the car and headed home again
Pretty sure the drops of wet hitting the windshield were a little more than just water
Couple days ago we had our first snow (and they started spreading that liquid rust on the roads)

From when I started driving till now I ended up with 1736 miles on my car this season  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

73chgrSE

I was getting gas and this older lady came up and said loudly "Oh my God!! I just LOVE GTO's!!!"     

I said yes, they are very nice, but this is actually a Dodge Charger.  She looked baffled, and replied "Oh,.... well I just love GTO's".

Another time I was getting gas and this dude came up and said, "Yo man, No offense to your old lady but my CQCK's hard for your car right now!"

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 73chgrSE on November 09, 2019, 08:13:53 AM
I was getting gas and this older lady came up and said loudly "Oh my God!! I just LOVE GTO's!!!"     

I said yes, they are very nice, but this is actually a Dodge Charger.  She looked baffled, and replied "Oh,.... well I just love GTO's".

Another time I was getting gas and this dude came up and said, "Yo man, No offense to your old lady but my CQCK's hard for your car right now!"

You should have said, "My Car Is Not Gay".   :smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Usually you get the guys who swear they had one just like it...   "That's a 72 right?   383? "

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.