News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch and flywheel advice

Started by davidcam69, November 05, 2019, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidcam69

About to purchase a clutch and flywheel for my soon to be 500 inch wedge. I am now running stock clutch and flywheel (11") and linkage with 18 spline trans 3.54 dana. Mostly street driven but I like performance. Thinking I should retire my 50 year old flywheel.  What do you suggest?   Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

Sfi flywheel for sure. Blowproof bellhousing. And ive always had good luck with the centerforce dual friction.

davidcam69

Looks like I'll go with the Center Force dual friction clutch. I have a choice between a Center Force 36.200 lb or a Mcleod 30.00 lb flywheel.

Which would you go with coonhunter?

c00nhunterjoe

I am partial to the centerforce. Make sure the one you choose is weighted for your application.

davidcam69

I ordered the CF clutch and flywheel you recommended.  Thanks   

krops cars

davidcam69

I'm pulling my original 440 out and keeping it all together. I don't think I want to take a chance with my 50 year old flywheel. I wouldn't worry to much

with normal driving, but not taking any chances with this stroker motor.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: krops cars on November 06, 2019, 12:38:59 PM
Are stock flywheels bad?

Stock flywheels are cast, can fly apart from centrifugal force at high RPM...age makes it worse.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

krops cars

BSB67

My recommendation. Steel flywheel, always.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

And a blowproof bellhousing. Seen too many street cars scatter parts through the floor. I like my legs attached to my body.

krops cars

Heard of it. Myself have not seen it. That would not be cool at all. That is some thing I would have over looked.

c00nhunterjoe