News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don Garlits 'Crower cams C500'

Started by aerolith, November 11, 2019, 01:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

Hi Aero's.

I'm still looking for info and pics on the Don Garlits 'Crower cams' C500.
Don is unsure of the cars details as it was so long ago.
Obviously he wants the car back so is unwilling to say if my 'Florida car' is in fact his?

I know of one other Florida C500 which is an SE spec car so deffo not his.
Can't have been that many C500 manual-dana cars in Florida... :scratchchin:
He is holding his cards' very close to his chest' indeed... :popcrn:

He also wants my 1969-Weslake 440 Nascar UK 'development engine' for his museum too.
But I can't afford to send it on a long term loan, as we are both in our 'TWILIGHT' years.

My plan was to fit the Weslake into the C500 as it was a 'Nascar-Chrysler development engine' once the hemi was outlawed.
But after 15 years of chin scratching, best the engine goes to a museum somewhere in the US whilst Folks are actually interested in seeing it!!!  lol... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

1969 NASCAR 440 WESLAKE UK engine.

Extra large W2 style intake ports with 2.250 intakes and D-PORT 1.810 exhausts.
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Its a 6-8-69 440 block with a full hemi bottom end, with factory sixpack pistons.

Special 440 length hemi rods, bet they is well rare, :slap: lol

Was painted 'bright yellow' as supplied by Chrysler? YUK! :scratchchin:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

odcics2

Great info!  Rare car!   Rare engine and parts!

Museum pieces, if you ask me.   :yesnod:

Or, for the ultra collector that likes one of a kind things... 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

charger500440

I believe the C500 Don sold last year was the one gifted by Chrysler to his late wife Pat, if I'm not mistaken. To my knowledge, the Crower C500 is long gone - whereabouts unknown.

That said, assuming it didn't already meet it's demise - it'll turn up eventually...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

mopar346

What was the colors on the Crower 500?

aerolith

Red and Black.

Originally a 440 four speed dana car, of which only 26 were made.
When asked why the car was repainted, I was told it was in a minor accident so a good time to repaint.
There has been a magazine article by MCG as to the whereabouts of the Crower car.
There was little or no response so the car was thought lost OR overseas lol. :smilielol:

Thinking was, its an R4 car with a black interior, but the red was not R4 but more orangey?
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I originally contacted him regarding the purchase of the (one-off) WESLAKE NASCAR engine.
(I had struck a deal in in long lost past with Dick Landy for the engine, sadly he passed before it happened)

He said he would take it with open arms as its rarer than a hemi, even the ballstud hemi (Landy), as there were TWO of them lol.
But due to his financial position he would rather have it ON LOAN.
Due to my financial position (soon to be homeless) I would rather some BENJAMINS please... :pity:

Then we came onto the topic of Charger 500's as he had just sold his HEMI 500.
I said, ''I believe I have the old 'Crower cam 500' here in the UK'', and I asked (very politely) of Mr.Garlits if he would be OK for me to repaint my C500 in the Crower-cam colors? :drool5:
He didn't say yes or no, but would I rather send him the car, so he could do it... :scratchchin:

So I said, if he buys them both then that would help my 're-mortgage fund' immensley.

He then said ''you are a very lucky guy and would I send them for his museum for safe keeping, on a long term loan''. ::)

The guy at the Building Society said ''thats real sweet, loaning stuff to Don Garlits'' but you still owe us £50,000... :slap: (and the clocks ticking)

TIME AND TIDE WAIT FOR NO MAN and 25 year Mortgages too.
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Ghoste

Most importantly, I hope you get the housing situation sorted out.  Secondly, I love the well used old Direct Connection manual.  It would be a nice bonus for you if you could determine you have the Crower car before selling it.  Good luck to you.

aerolith

A very valid point there Ghostee!

It has been a 'lost cause' trying to get anyone to confirm the 'Crower Cam car'.
As 69 R/T Chargers are getting more money than C500's, I'm thinking of converting it back to a stock R/T lol :slap: :slap: :slap:

Never bought the car as a long term investment, it was just BECAUSE I LOVE 'EM!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I could paint it back to 'Crower cam' colors but it would devalue her/him FOR SURE! :-\ :eek2: :rotz:

She will be fine in resplendent F8 and I don't care who don't like it lol. :insertsarcasm:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Ghoste

I don't know that I've noticed any RT's bringing more money than 500's but there could be an anomaly or two out there I guess.  Vanguard is probably asking more for an RT than a 500 sells for but... ?

aerolith

Mortgage payments or Mopars?

Thought I could have 'my cake and eat it too'. :icon_smile_big:

The plan was... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Own many rare Mopars and sell some of them after 25 years to pay the Mortgage off.
Didn't quite work out like that as they were project cars in the main.
Its a very expensive hobby rebuilding rare Mopars when you is 'overseas'. :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

The 'BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN' are doomed to fail, so they say? :slap:

Next time, BUY done cars and drive them for a while, then sell them quick, when the price goes up! :2thumbs:

Then you can have your cake and drive it too! :pigsfly: :dance: :woohoo:

(soon2be) Homeless Aerolite
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

69_500

If your looking to sell the 500 or the engine let me know. I could probably locate a buyer for both.

spyder

Ghoste

Finished car or projects, buying cars as an investment has worked out for only a handful of people.

odcics2

Nice color pic...

:2thumbs:

Model appears wrong, in a few ways.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

aerolith

Great find Spyder!

I've seen an R/T 69 Charger that dark red color, very unusual shade!
#R6 possibly?

#R4 is called 'Charger Red' by a strange coincidence... :scratchchin:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

R6...Not to everyone's lining?

My Moparmate had an R6 69 Charger and was so 'ANTI' he got a full repaint in EV2.
I would rate it much worse than F8 :slap: :smilielol: :icon_smile_tongue:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Don's new Daytona in R4?
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Ghoste

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Yeah, I think I've seen it at the Mopar Nationals a couple of times too. (or one similar to it)

Mytur Binsdirti

b5blue

Can we see pics of the C500 you have? (Sorry to hear of your plight!)

djcarguy

Quote from: aerolith on November 25, 2019, 11:03:39 AM
R6...Not to everyone's lining?

My Moparmate had an R6 69 Charger and was so 'ANTI' he got a full repaint in EV2.
I would rate it much worse than F8 :slap: :smilielol: :icon_smile_tongue:
R6   MUCH WORSE THAN   F8 ///??? ??? ???   NOOO    WAYYY R6 RULES ??? LIKING R6 more ?