News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(removing locks) Trunk Lid and gas cap

Started by EccentricMagpies, November 12, 2019, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EccentricMagpies

Is there a clean way to pop out a lock on the trunk lid / gas cap?

After moving twice owning this car I cannot figure out where the keys went for either.  I was hoping they would suddenly pop up at some point but I'm beginning to give up on that optimism.
I think I read to jam a flat head in is about all i need to do?

thanks
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

EccentricMagpies

'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

green69rt

For the trunk lock.  Take the back seat out.  If the trunk is not full of stuff, you can shine a flashlight and see the trunk lock mechanism.  Get a long pole and attach a piece of metal stock with a flat grove cut in it.   It's got to fit over the tab I show in the below picture.   From the pass compartment reach thru and put the grove over the tab. Twist and the trunk lid will pop open. 

As for the gas tank lock, if it's like mine you could get a lock smith to come unlock it, otherwise I would bet you have to drill it out..  In fact, also, let him try the trunk before you try my method.

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: green69rt on November 13, 2019, 12:48:04 PM
Quote from: EccentricMagpies on November 13, 2019, 12:38:17 PM
I have the solution.

What was it?

Oh.. thanks for the pictures.   That will come in handy.

Trunk.   Two ways:
1. Same as you have here
2. ordered a lock pick set and will do it myself after watching several youtube video's.   Looks like a 2 minute effort.
........from there.  Order a new lock or see if this lock and be changed to match the driver key.

Gas cap.
picking this lock too.
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

krops cars

Remove the back seat. Long extensions and take the bolts out of lock. Lift up lid. Remove lock. Reattach latch. Then use a screw driver to unlock as needed.

70 sublime

I believe his car is a third gen Charger and the latch part is on the trunk lid itself and the car has the bar it latches onto
Not sure it is as easy to take the bolts out to get the latch off

There are two different trunk lock key sets for the trunk lid
Earlier third gen had like the 68 69 70 style with the keeper that holds it in
Later sets have a big round nut that holds the lock in
The hole in the trunk lid that the lock passes through is a different size for each so you have to make sure you ordered the proper lock set

A friend is working on a 72 Charger here and we just went through that  :eek2:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: krops cars on November 13, 2019, 03:14:24 PM
Remove the back seat. Long extensions and take the bolts out of lock. Lift up lid. Remove lock. Reattach latch. Then use a screw driver to unlock as needed.

yes, simple as that.  ('74 btw)

Actually crawled into the trunk and took the bolts off.

found some extra emblems and my trunk lid emblems in the process.   But, i'll have to get a new lock which I might have in an extra trunk lid I have in storage.. Seems to me it has the keys with it.
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd