News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spines in the seat cushion

Started by BrugeeRT, November 24, 2019, 08:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

So here is a pic of the back of the cushions on some 1970 charger seats i am redoing.  There are some thin metal spines that run through the back of the cushions and they were kind of free floating.  Not sure what to do with them.  Do most people just leave them out and if you do would it make a difference?  Does anybody try to put them back in and if so how?
Mark

mrob

Think those "spines" are used to strengthen the foam and prevent the foam from digging into the springs. What I've done instead is make a support out of burlap with thin, steel welding rods interwoven into the burlap. The burlap (with the steel wire) is then hog ringed to the seat frame. The idea is to spread the force across the burlap (with steel wire) and have it rest against the springs (not the foam). BTW, the welding wire I used is thin, around 0.028 in diameter and around 3 ft long, you can find it in welding supply stores. Look for the straight wire, not a wire on spools.

Alaskan_TA

Those listing rods were originally in the burlap, not the foam.

BrugeeRT

Thanks Mrob for the reply!  I will probably take a similar approach.
Mark