News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can someone show me the trunk floor brace thingy please

Started by 68chargeruk, November 15, 2019, 02:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargeruk

I need a better photo of this piece from an original trunk please

My floor was completely rusted out but we need to know how to finish this off, it seems like the front edge should be welded to the trunk floor but the side flanges are smooth as suggesting never welded but it sits approx 10cm off the trunk floor (aside from the cut and then weld it back together part)

Help !

Thanks

kent

Mine is out of a 70. A bit different. Let me know if you need more. I'm going to check to see if I have one after floor install.

Kent

kent

See how it's offset. Good shot of the spot welds.
Just checked out my pics. Sorry no really good shots of the connection to the floor before seam sealer.

Kent

kent

Sorry for such a large picture. Thought it would be better for you to see the welds. That bracket for the 68 might be made different. It looks as though a piece of yours might be missing or cut off. Or maybe the 68 version didn't have that small lip on the bottom ??
That's all I got.
Kent

70 sublime

Looks like you are missing a bit of the lip on your brace to help it reach the floor
Could the floor be a little too far away also ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kent

Just checked AMD's site. Well according to them all three years the same.

Kent

68chargeruk

its the bit that reaches (or doesnt) reach the trunk floor, its that area we need a clearer OG image of, we haven't taken the top part off the car so that's original, its been cut at the weld mark then just welded back in for now but it doesn't match at all, theres a visible gap underneath?

Confused

PS this site is a nightmare if you don't get the image size right!! keeps telling me I've posted the reply when I haven't
and this too !!!!

Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

and this!!! hahaha madness

You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.

gtx6970

supposed to go all the way down and weld to the trunk floor
someone cut it to short

hemi-hampton

With that weld going across middle it looks like somebody cut a big chunk out & then decided to re weld it, minus a inch of metal. :shruggy:

68chargeruk

i dont think thats the case?

from our original photos you can see the left hand edge of the trunk lock mount, it's been sliced with a cutting disc then just crudely welded back in for now, not much metal has been taken out.

What we can figure is our 2 piece trunk floor pressing should have an upward raised area under the trunk lock mount, like a cheese wedge shape to receive the bottom of the trunk lock mount, but my new floor pressing has a depressed dip rather than raised, is this the issue? are there different style pressings?

hopefully the photos explain what I mean

68chargeruk

vs this area now, the circled bit although looks raised is actually a recessed bit

hemi-hampton

You can see how the old one fit, even that one was much closer. All I know is after many years of Restoring Cars with After Market Parts these kind of problems are Typical while using them. You have to do lots of cutting & splicing & adding & removing Metal to make parts fit because of the inadequate inaccurate after market Parts that are being reproduce. What I like to do & not sure how many other have tried this is after ordering & receiving a after market part measure it every where & then measure the original part & see just how screwed up it really is. LEON.

will

Quote from: 68chargeruk on November 16, 2019, 05:00:18 AM
vs this area now, the circled bit although looks raised is actually a recessed bit

Did the trunk floor slide before it was welded? See the rash above the tack weld, looks like it slid down.

hemi-hampton

Good Question, that's what it looks like, but if the frame rails are in the proper space that would make that impossible, maybe taillight panel to high? Something don't seem right. I trial fit everything to fit with screws before I ever weld anything. Measure Twice, Cut Once, not measure once cut twice. LEON.

Jonas_N

Im prolly missing something here (Thinking way too much on my steering column restore.).

But arent you missing the final lip of the trunk lock mount?
I just changed my trunk-floor out and carefully removed my trunk lock mount and it was (is) way longer than yours is now.

Will grab a pic of mine tonight.

Jonas_N

Bit dusty but here is my -68 with new floor.

68chargeruk

guys, sorry for delay in replying, I've got a better side shot of the trunk and the depressed area which shows how far the front lip is from touching, all the ones shown or I can find on the interweb shows a raised trunk part (like the bumper brace cheese wedge type things at each corner)

Have i just got a crappy trunk floor half that's not exactly right? It's not a major issue but I do want it as right as I can get ideally.

Thanks for advice

Jonas_N

I think your floor looks fine but your trunk lock mount is way up high.
On mine the lower edge of the mount goes just above the edge of the floor, but on yours you have a big gap there. (See pic)
Im gonna bet that your mount is too short, Im going to measure mine tonight and post the result.  :yesnod:

68chargeruk

Thanks Jonas, I'll measure mine tomorrow too (11pm currently) but I was assured by my mate he'd literally cut the bottom half off when removing the old trunk. The upper part (as seen in original pics) hasn't been removed or cut from the car, its as it was from the Factory I believe. But we'll compare sizes tomorrow ohh errrr

Jonas_N

If youre in the UK Im just up north.  :cheers:

I also think the next beer is on me cos when I check my mount I noticed that your lower welds are in the same place as mine, so the lock mount should have the same length, I measured mine from the top edge to the lower edge where that side ends in the corner of the mount (at the red arrow in the pic.)

Also, you can see that I can at most fit a paper between my floor edge and lock mount.  :scratchchin:

Edit: Also note that the floor should have a small 90 deg angle at the end with spot welds that holds it together with the rear, my floor was too short so I added a extra L shaped plate to weld it together. (Lots of rust protection in between then cover all with sealant.)

68chargeruk

Quote from: Jonas_N on November 29, 2019, 03:10:53 AM
If youre in the UK Im just up north.  :cheers:

I also think the next beer is on me cos when I check my mount I noticed that your lower welds are in the same place as mine, so the lock mount should have the same length, I measured mine from the top edge to the lower edge where that side ends in the corner of the mount (at the red arrow in the pic.)

Also, you can see that I can at most fit a paper between my floor edge and lock mount.  :scratchchin:

Edit: Also note that the floor should have a small 90 deg angle at the end with spot welds that holds it together with the rear, my floor was too short so I added a extra L shaped plate to weld it together. (Lots of rust protection in between then cover all with sealant.)

Just up North where?

My Trunk isn't fully welded in yet as we're waiting on the quarter corner valance pieces so we can set the whole rear panels before the trunk is welded fully so I did wonder if that was it but now you've mentioned your L piece that makes sense too. my mate is good at this stuff so he'll make it all fit I just wanted it to be as factory as I could but not sure I have the right pressing from the Trunk floor? but a huge thanks for measuring, your computer skills are on point !!!!

Thanks again Jonas

Jonas_N

Sweden.

I do remember that when the floor was cut out you could lift the rear a bit if you tried, so I was careful to measure where the spotwelds should be on the L shape.

68chargeruk

Quote from: Jonas_N on November 29, 2019, 02:13:20 PM
Sweden.

I do remember that when the floor was cut out you could lift the rear a bit if you tried, so I was careful to measure where the spotwelds should be on the L shape.

Ah that 'up north' then eh haha. a mere stroll away from me  :2thumbs: