News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

suspension creaking

Started by triple_green, November 25, 2019, 12:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

My 68 suspension has started "creaking" at lot lately. Where can I lube? or what can I do to minimize this?

Thanks!

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

white

My 68 is doing the same thing! Do you know where the sound is coming from and do you know if you have poly bushings or rubber bushings? I'm going start working on mine this Sunday.

73chgrSE

I put poly bushings in this summer and now I hear thumps and creaks that I never noticed before. Nothing has fallen off yet. I go over it before and after each drive.  Everything is tightened down good.

The car is almost the same age as me and I make strange noises too.  :cheers:

alfaitalia

That's the price you pay for going poly. You can grease then up but it will only ever be a temporary cure. The ones on my Jeep (front and rear) were terrible. I just learned to ignore it and turn the music up!

Let's remember one thing: in a bonded-rubber bushing it's the rubber that twists between the inner and outer shell. The rubber is the pivot. Nothing slides, nothing rotates. This is why rubber suspension bushings must be snugged when the suspension's at normal ride height - you want to ensure the bushing is in its neutral position most of the time, and that the rotational travel is roughly even in both directions from neutral.

Poly bushings (well, all but a very few) are not flexible enough to do this, so they rotate on their inner sleeve. This is bad. They will squeak and eventually they will gall and egg-out. That said I have them on my ALFA and it transformed the feel of the steering with no other mods. The other thing I here is how long Poly bushes last...in my experience they NEVER last as long as the rubber bushes...due to the rotation and grit ingress.

You could try this though    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/tech-tips/long-term-fix-for-polyurethane-bushing-squeak/138803/page1/

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

6.7Cummins

When my 68 started doing this it was the rear shocks. Replaced them fine ever since.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727