News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another Challenger Hellcat/2nd Gen Charger hybrid, but....

Started by Kern Dog, November 29, 2019, 03:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I like this one. It isn't perfect but these guys were able to get around the drawbacks I've seen others have had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLJpyI9MB8

I'm not that fond of the side or rear windows but I DO like that they kept the front wheel openings stock appearing.

alfaitalia

Very nice....the factory LX Charger should have looked more like that. The only thing is that (to my eye) the extra body depth (which I realise they could not avoid) makes it look slightly heavy....but even that is largely offset by the few inches of extra width. Good effort though  and I would gladly have that as a daily driver!! I have a suspicion that it might be very slightly outside my budget though!! :lol: I wonder how much it costs to have one of those built??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

70B5Cuda

I would be happy to drive that! From the body line up, the proportions don't look right, but I realize that nothing can be done about that. From the body line down, I think it looks really good. Obviously a lot of time was spent designing it. With a modern chassis, I would like to see it sit a little lower so that the rear wheels are tucked up under the quarter panel a bit.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

tan top

all these type builds are awesome !  those who do this type of thing have some skills that's for sure, but for me  its not real its not one or the other  hard to describe  :scratchchin: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Quote from: tan top on November 29, 2019, 01:15:18 PM
all these type builds are awesome !  those who do this type of thing have some skills that's for sure, but for me  its not real its not one or the other  hard to describe  :scratchchin: 

It is called the "Uncanny Valley". It is a term that is used to describe that you perceive that something is off but you don't know quite what it is but it is unsettling. The example most often cited is the movie "The Polar Express" with Tom Hanks as the conductor of a Santa bound train. All CGI generated. I have seen it and what was meant to be endearing is very creepy because the effort to make the characters 3d and realistic falls just short enough to disturb your perceptions. Some attempts at realistic looking robots have the same effect.

I had considered the approach these guys took for another Charger project but when you choose to keep the cabin or greenhouse in tact you chose a car that is 3 inches taller from the top of the roof to the bottom of the pinch weld than the second gen "B" bodies. The only way to reconcile that is to remove the entire body. Even when that is done I have seen many builds that leave the body high to accommodate the top of the dash where it meets the windshield bed. This also makes the the body fat and tall looking. I recently saw a picture of a 71 Road Runner where they left it high and had what looked like a 4 inch pinch weld or flat below the door. Ruined an otherwise beautiful job.

The people who designed the old mopars were trained professionals so amature  attempts to improve on what they did are tricky at best and can fall flat at worst.

ACUDANUT

BrianShaughnessy

It's OK but I'm sure it's well over 6 figures considering the cost of a new hellcat chassis donor.   :Twocents:    Not that any of the others are any cheaper.

Just something looks a bit off on the rear and I believe he said the rear quarters were 3" shorter.    Obviously the angle of the rear window and the shorter dutchman panel...  I'll throw it out there an say this conversion would probably look right at home with a '71 body style. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Kern Dog

The windows look a little strange to me too. The rear looks more squared off than a 68-70. I don't mind the subtle changes to the body, even the deeper rear valance.

Homerr

Really interesting to see them lift a whole side panel in place.  A slightly smaller rear window would do a lot.  As would dropping the ass a little.  I think they could have done a stock type exhaust look instead of raising it up in the rear valence, they certainly had the height to play with.

I get why they did it, but I've never liked the cowl induction look on Mopars.

tan top

Quote from: Stevearino on December 01, 2019, 07:07:36 AM
all these type builds are awesome !  those who do this type of thing have some skills that's for sure, but for me  its not real its not one or the other  hard to describe  :scratchchin:  

It is called the "Uncanny Valley". It is a term that is used to describe that you perceive that something is off but you don't know quite what it is but it is unsettling. The example most often cited is the movie "The Polar Express" with Tom Hanks as the conductor of a Santa bound train. All CGI generated. I have seen it and what was meant to be endearing is very creepy because the effort to make the characters 3d and realistic falls just short enough to disturb your perceptions. Some attempts at realistic looking robots have the same effect.

I had considered the approach these guys took for another Charger project but when you choose to keep the cabin or greenhouse in tact you chose a car that is 3 inches taller from the top of the roof to the bottom of the pinch weld than the second gen "B" bodies. The only way to reconcile that is to remove the entire body. Even when that is done I have seen many builds that leave the body high to accommodate the top of the dash where it meets the windshield bed. This also makes the the body fat and tall looking. I recently saw a picture of a 71 Road Runner where they left it high and had what looked like a 4 inch pinch weld or flat below the door. Ruined an otherwise beautiful job.

The people who designed the old mopars were trained professionals so amature  attempts to improve on what they did are tricky at best and can fall flat at worst.

yes !

what they do is not ugly ! but just looks wrong weird !  not how its supposed to took type thing  :scratchchin:  the  second generation charger was perfect from the start ! & you cant re work perfection  & make a car kind of look like a second generation ! it sounds confusing ! I know what i'm trying to say ! but its  not sounding right when I type it  :P
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

alfaitalia

Quote from: tan top on December 02, 2019, 06:19:30 AM
all these type builds are awesome !  those who do this type of thing have some skills that's for sure, but for me  its not real its not one or the other  hard to describe  :scratchchin:  

The people who designed the old mopars were trained professionals so amature  attempts to improve on what they did are tricky at best and can fall flat at worst.

yes !

what they do is not ugly ! but just looks wrong weird !  not how its supposed to took type thing  :scratchchin:  the  second generation charger was perfect from the start ! & you cant re work perfection  & make a car kind of look like a second generation ! it sounds confusing ! I know what i'm trying to say ! but its  not sounding right when I type it  :P

LOL.....but we (most of us at least)agree and know exactly what you are trying to say!!

I thing the 68-69 Charger was pretty perfect from the off too....with the exception of tiny wheels and tyres sucked too far into the fenders.....but even that is just how car were back then and easily sorted if you want to.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

XH29N0G

Thanks for posting.  It does look different, but I still like it a lot.    :2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on December 01, 2019, 06:28:26 PM
It's OK but I'm sure it's well over 6 figures considering the cost of a new hellcat chassis donor.   :Twocents:    Not that any of the others are any cheaper.

Just something looks a bit off on the rear and I believe he said the rear quarters were 3" shorter.    Obviously the angle of the rear window and the shorter dutchman panel...  I'll throw it out there an say this conversion would probably look right at home with a '71 body style. 

Seems like 100K is the norm these days, for a modern 2nd/3rd gen Charger. Ouch

Kern Dog

It is called the "Uncanny Valley". It is a term that is used to describe that you perceive that something is off but you don't know quite what it is but it is unsettling

In 2009 at the age of 43 I had a period of feeling "out of sorts". My health was fine but I had an ongoing feeling that what I said and did was not the best that my brain could do. It was as if something was clouding my thought process, like there was a sort of filter or blockage inside. I couldn't think as clearly as usual, I couldn't compute math or understand jokes quite as quickly either. It was really strange. Think about how you are impaired when you are drunk....you are the same person, just less capable of doing your normal tasks. It slowly faded away but I still wonder WTF it was.
In late 2013, early 2014 I worked a job where the majority of the buildings faced south. Now, as odd as it may sound, buildings are sometimes drawn and planned to face a certain direction but sometimes they are just drawn to fit whatever limited space they are in. For some strange reason, I always felt disoriented on that job....as if the sun was always on the wrong side of the sky. I guess it is a hard feeling to describe.

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

XH29N0G

Me too! exactly, when I was 43, I had the same thing happen, I sensed decline.  Now that I'm older, I have declined so much that the sense has gone away, too.

:rofl:

I still like that car.  can't say what I would think if I had seen it in the late 1970's  :smilielol:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

kokxville

I really like this build. I would drive this every day  :drool5: :cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Kern Dog

It would probably be a little lighter than a genuine Hellcat due to the carbon fiber body panels.

tcs69rt

"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Kern Dog

Yeah...Chrome is lacking in modern cars and many classic custom jobs.

Stevearino

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 02, 2019, 02:28:56 PM

It is called the "Uncanny Valley". It is a term that is used to describe that you perceive that something is off but you don't know quite what it is but it is unsettling

In 2009 at the age of 43 I had a period of feeling "out of sorts". My health was fine but I had an ongoing feeling that what I said and did was not the best that my brain could do. It was as if something was clouding my thought process, like there was a sort of filter or blockage inside. I couldn't think as clearly as usual, I couldn't compute math or understand jokes quite as quickly either. It was really strange. Think about how you are impaired when you are drunk....you are the same person, just less capable of doing your normal tasks. It slowly faded away but I still wonder WTF it was.
In late 2013, early 2014 I worked a job where the majority of the buildings faced south. Now, as odd as it may sound, buildings are sometimes drawn and planned to face a certain direction but sometimes they are just drawn to fit whatever limited space they are in. For some strange reason, I always felt disoriented on that job....as if the sun was always on the wrong side of the sky. I guess it is a hard feeling to describe.

I love reading anything on how the brain perceives the world. Since signals travel at the same rate of speed to the brain from nerve endings it necessarily takes longer for the nerves in your feet to send a signal compared to one on your face. The brain compensates for the time lag by waiting to consciously realize the signals until they are all in making everything seem instantaneous. So we are not really present in the moment but are realizing everything slightly behind the time it is occurring. That system can get out of wack and sometimes the we become aware of the information and get the feeling of having done something before or been in a place before or Deja Vu. Then everything catches up and syncs up and we go about our business. Sound like you had an extended period where your perception timing was slightly off. Weird stuff.

gtx6970

I like it, a lot.
Except for the hood,,, thats plain ugly

But I think chrome bumpers would go a long way to offset the deeper valances front and rear And the shorter 1/4 window isnt real hateful

Kern Dog

Quote from: Stevearino on December 03, 2019, 09:49:45 PM

Sound like you had an extended period where your perception timing was slightly off. Weird stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah...Whatever it was, it was unsettling.

VegasCharger

Rear quarter window fixed  :eek2: And too small  :eek2:

No vent windows  :flame: :flame:

The exhaust  :'(

The hood  :down: :down:

:cheers:

ACUDANUT

I wonder what the price tag might be with standard 5.7 or 6.2 Challenger body. Who really needs a Hellcat engine. ?
I agree with the others...Everything should not be all black.  :brickwall: Dress it up some.  :2thumbs:

grdprx

It's going on my Christmas List!  Be better if it was a 68...   :coolgleamA: