News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl tops suck

Started by ACUDANUT, November 29, 2019, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: Birdflu on December 02, 2019, 11:27:35 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on November 30, 2019, 09:19:01 AM
No tops for me. Detracts from aerodynamics...   :yesnod:

That's why the Superbirds were so much slower than the Daytonas!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just one of the reasons!    :smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

F8-4life

Ghoste

I love they way they look on the 2nd gen Chargers but the moisture part is awful.  My car came with it originally but Im honestly not sure about leaving it on.

kent

I'm with you on that one Ghoste. I love the look of them but they tend to cause damage down the road. But in this day and age, and the way we baby these cars now.  Would it really be a issue?
Kent

73chgrSE

I don't hate mine but I saw a white hard top for sale down the road a few years back and it just looked weird and plain to me.

odcics2

Quote from: 73chgrSE on December 03, 2019, 08:32:19 AM
I don't hate mine but I saw a white hard top for sale down the road a few years back and it just looked weird and plain to me.

IMO, what looks goofy is the excessive offset  wheels and 4X4 look.

billssuperbird

Vinyl top and has a 8 track tape player :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

Some ppl never consider that most of the problems of vinyl roof cars rusting badly the roof is because they were glued over primer and not over paint to save money. Still with paint is a moisture trap, but maybe 70% of the rusted roofs could survived or get a better life if they got painted from factory and not just primered
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

b5blue

Back in the early 70's a friend had some kinda painted on vinyl top on his 68 Coronet. Bits would come off like Corn Flakes.  :lol:

6pkrtse

I prefer cars without vinyl tops but it seems most of the 68-70 Chargers I have owned had them but one. Both of my current 70's have them.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Todd Wilson

My 71 had a white vinyl top originally. I replaced it when I painted the car years ago...........

ACUDANUT

Like I said, I put them back on to make it "original on 4 cars".  IMO 72 Chargers SE' had to have them to cover up all the mud from the plug they made in these cars.

Mike DC

I like the way it creates a 2-tone look in some instances.  Depends on the car. 

But I don't like the actual vinyl idea itself.  I'd be fine with covering the roof with low-gloss paint. 

odcics2

Quote from: 6pkrtse on December 11, 2019, 02:32:58 PM
I prefer cars without vinyl tops but it seems most of the 68-70 Chargers I have owned had them but one. Both of my current 70's have them.

:scratchchin:  Supposedly, 3/4 of 68-70 Chargers had vinyl tops.     Always appeared like that number was light.   

b5blue

Agreed seems like more it was so common depending on the car. Darts many Nova not so much and so on. It was a style cue that's faded away like white wall tires.

dual fours

I like my Vinyl top, it came with the Charger, black top, FK5 body paint, black interior and chrome trim. And I can use it for a storage self and get no scratches on it. After 50 years, it looks great.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Back N Black

My Charger is triple black, I think the vinyl roof is killer. Its like a charger wearing a tuxedo.

Mytur Binsdirti

Much like green was the "in" color back then, so were vinyl tops.

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 29, 2019, 08:26:21 AM
Much like green was the "in" color back then, so were vinyl tops.

Agreed.

Just like turbines were out, now are back in!     :smilielol:

:cheers:

krops cars

Either way. It breaks the body color up. Some cars are big and if you are painting it not original it is hard to pick a color that looks good. So I feel that the vinyl top breaks it up nicely. I do not care for how some hold water and ruin roofs.