News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Headlight Bucket Spring Installation

Started by Repsol17, December 01, 2019, 02:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repsol17

Trying to re-install the headlight bucket spring.   Has anyone ever had to recoil the spring back around the shaft until it connects into the bracket ?  Seems impossible...lol.

There must of been a special tool.  Anyone have ideas   :brickwall:

Thanks
Darrell
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

birdsandbees

I've always left mine off so they stay closed ! yet still work just fine up and down!  This is the drivers side.. I presume the spring is supposed to be locked onto the longer bolt, mine never has been in the 30 years I've owned he car.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

DAY CLONA

Take/un-bolt the spring retainer angle bracket off, install the spring on the shaft, wind the spring in a tightening rotation with the spring angle bracket hooked on the spring's tang/end by hand until the headlight/pivot frame is in the full up position, then bolt the angle bracket which you are holding in a wound tension/position to the proper bolt... this is all done AFTER the light bucket and Z bars are installed in the nose... this is the stage I'll assume the OP is at?

Mike

Golden-Arm

have someone hold the bucket in the open position, and use a drum brake spring installation tool. grab the hook on the spring, angle the end of thee brake tool over the post and lift ii up. the spring will slip off, and over the post.

Birdflu

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 01, 2019, 04:10:34 PM
I've always left mine off so they stay closed ! yet still work just fine up and down!  This is the drivers side.. I presume the spring is supposed to be locked onto the longer bolt, mine never has been in the 30 years I've owned he car.

I hear ya' Wayne! Got tired of our 'Bird winking at us in the garage! Springs and brackets removed until further notice!

Repsol17

Quote from: Golden-Arm on December 01, 2019, 09:45:32 PM
have someone hold the bucket in the open position, and use a drum brake spring installation tool. grab the hook on the spring, angle the end of thee brake tool over the post and lift ii up. the spring will slip off, and over the post.
Would you be talking about one of those brake spring hooks ?

I'll give these methods a try before I leave off.  I know they're a fail-safe for the lights losing vacuum, but I don't drive it at night anyway.

Aero426

Concerning headlight springs, this is the best place for them.

Repsol17

Quote from: Aero426 on December 02, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
Concerning headlight springs, this is the best place for them.

Well that very well might be where they're heading after tomorrow..lol   :2thumbs:

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

winghawg

if you are interested in selling them ill take them

Golden-Arm

Quote from: Repsol17 on December 02, 2019, 07:48:05 PM
Would you be talking about one of those brake spring hooks ?

I'll give these methods a try before I leave off.  I know they're a fail-safe for the lights losing vacuum, but I don't drive it at night anyway.

no, this one. stick the black end over the stud, and put the spring over rod between the black cup, and the pivot. pull the tool away from the headlight pivot shaft, keeping the cup on the spring stud. you'll get to a point where the spring will slip down the tool, and onto the stud. rotate the tool, and pull it away, holding the spring down.

or use the hook you posted.  :icon_smile_big: