News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

John Schneider - 5 mistakes people make when making a General Lee

Started by VegasCharger, December 05, 2019, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Watched this YouTube video with John Schneider explaining the 5 mistakes people make when making a General Lee. John is a great guy but this video has me wondering how much he actually knows about 1968-69 Chargers. There's nothing wrong with him not knowing every detail as he sure reveals some info about the show that I didn't know until now.

Anyway this video has some editing issues where some clips were posted twice. He (John) means well and I appreciate the valuable Dukes info, but this video needed to be better produced. Below are questions that I have that John explains in the video which I believe are incorrect. But then again I might be the one who's incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QatKRHFxEoE

@3:37 - Talks about the rear glass being convex or concave?? I didn't realize there were two options?? Or is he referring to a Charger 500 rear glass vs a base Charger glass?

@5:44 - Mistake #03 talks about pass. side rear view mirror being '68 only?? And '69 having driver's side only side mirror. Wasn't this option available for both years??

@6:26 thru 10:01 - This is where it starts repeating segments earlier in the video (2:02 thru 4:52)

So from 10:01 and on, the video runs with new info and no repeats (I think LoL).

@13:42 - John uses the word "stainless when referring to the front bumper of a 1970 Charger.  :smilielol:

I did find out why the "Crossed Flags" on the dutchman panel weren't used in later episodes, once the show became popular those flags were time consuming (probably painted on) and they needed to pound out GLs at a rapid pace so say goodbye to those crossed flags.  :-\

Great video none-the-less. Thanks JS  :2thumbs:

:cheers:

tan top

I watched that last night ! thought he made a lot of mistakes to , & in another earlier video also ! I was surprised to be honest , thinking because of who he is & the chargers he has had & who he has been around with these cars , would of assumed it would be accurate information, I realise that not every one has a charger obsessive compulsive disorder like I have lol & prolly  many on this site have .. :lol::

i'm not a one to criticise !  no one knows everything etc  but whats  prolly going to happened is , the lesser informed are going to take what John says as gospel , because its Bo Duke  said .....

no offence John if your reading this   ,  watching  you & the DOH , and along with dirty mary crazy larry  & bullit  in the late 70s early 80s  are the reason I got into chargers & mopars

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

You are correct about rear glass and exterior mirrors.  I dont know why he says those things.

John Milner

John is right about the rear glass.  It does have a convex shape to it when it is installed correctly.  I'm not sure that it would even glue in with the curve going in though. 

VegasCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2019, 06:24:23 AM
You are correct about rear glass and exterior mirrors.  I dont know why he says those things.

Thanks.  :cheers:

Quote from: John Milner on December 05, 2019, 09:47:46 AM
John is right about the rear glass.  It does have a convex shape to it when it is installed correctly.  I'm not sure that it would even glue in with the curve going in though. 

Okay so it's shaped only one way correct? Convex correct? So why would John display it as if some people do it incorrectly by installing a wrong shaped glass? Like there's two shapes to pick from? And if you pick the concave one it's incorrect for a General Lee build??

:shruggy: :shruggy:

Kern Dog

The glass fits both ways but is supposed to be convex.
I like the guy so I give him a pass for a few technical mistakes. He was an actor anyway, not the technical advisor.
Another video he spoke of the engines in the stunt cars and mentioned a 340 then a 340 Magnum....He probably meant 383 Magnum. I'm cool with that. He seems like a down to earth guy that still loves this stuff.

John Milner

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 05, 2019, 11:57:23 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2019, 06:24:23 AM

Thanks.  :cheers:

Quote from: John Milner on December 05, 2019, 09:47:46 AM

Okay so it's shaped only one way correct? Convex correct? So why would John display it as if some people do it incorrectly by installing a wrong shaped glass? Like there's two shapes to pick from? And if you pick the concave one it's incorrect for a General Lee build??

:shruggy: :shruggy:

If you install the glass backwards, it would then be concave. I took it as if he was warning people to not install it backwards. I like John too. I think he likes Chargers but he doesn't quite study them like some people do. He's still pretty knowledgeable on them it seems like. I highly doubt he's ever built one by himself though.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 06, 2019, 12:15:21 AM.....The glass fits both ways but is supposed to be convex.....

Quote from: John Milner on December 06, 2019, 01:10:06 AM.....If you install the glass backwards, it would then be concave. I took it as if he was warning people to not install it backwards......

Well why didn't I think of that? :brickwall: :brickwall:
It's amazing that something is right there in front of you but you need someone(s) to point it out to you.

Thanks KD, thanks John.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

As for John Schneider, he is great, I met him at a meet-n-greet in of all places, Akron, Ohio back in the early 2000s at an indoor car show. Down to earth dude and very talkative. Not stuck up at all being a big star. He sure knows a lot of details about the show.

Charger-Bodie

if you install rear glass inside facing out it will be concave. looks terrible.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

HANDM

Dammit! Now I need to find out which way I installed my rear glass...... :-\
Pretty sure I went with convex though......

Ghoste

I don't think I have ever seen it installed backwards.

Gm cars with similar back windows are concave so all it takes is someone use to gm stuff. I've only seen one myself.

Back N Black

John Schneider,  is a very lucky man still riding the coat tails of the Dukes of Hazard. Did he do anything after that? please don't mention his music career.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

erndog

Kern Dog

No, dude. First you copy a screen name and second, your spelling and grammar need work. Finally....you insult one of the best rated TV shows of the 80s ?   :hah:

MoparMike68

Quote from: Back N Black on July 08, 2020, 11:12:10 PM
John Schneider,  is a very lucky man still riding the coat tails of the Dukes of Hazard. Did he do anything after that? please don't mention his music career.
Now that's funny  :lol:

Bad B-rad

Did he do anything after the Dukes????
There was a little show called Smallville, it was fairly popular, and he was SUPERMAN'S father for Christmas sake!!!!!

Before that there was the action hit classic Cocaine Wars!!!

Kern Dog

He was a part timer on Nip/Tuck. He also has made a number of small independent movies.
Ever look at the IMDB site? Internet Movie Data Base.