News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motorcycle Jack for Transmissions?

Started by TexasStroker, December 05, 2019, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Just thinking here on a late lunch...

Has anyone used a motorcycle jack/lift for a transmission jack/lift?

I was pricing out transmission jacks and looking at attachments for floor jacks and was debating how well they would work, if they'd mangle my pan, and if they would extend far enough.  I was thinking it would be nice to have a padded plate vs what people are selling and that is when I contemplated using a motorcycle lift.

They are rated way higher than most transmission jacks (1,000 LBS vs 400-500 LBS) and are already padded, AND cost much less.  I assume this has to do with no hydraulic provisions, but for a safe place to rest the transmission, lower it, and slide it around, it seems  worth investigating.

I think they would work really well with old cars, but in this instance I was going to try and have it support the tranny in my 01 Ram.

Just curious if anyone else has tried this and if so, how well it worked.  I've never used one so I'm not sure if they respond well to raising/lowering with weight on them.

Here is a rough idea: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-BW-1604A-Motorcycle-Scissor/dp/B009W997X6
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Gold Rush

Have never actually used the bike jack to R & R a tranny but do think it is very doable.  I would not use the style you linked to though.  Here is my jack holding roughly 700 pounds of 2006 Honda Goldwing.  I've lifted the fully dress version many times as well with no problem...  The key to success it balance.  Get if off and the load will be on the floor really quick!!!   :o :o   Tranny Jack adjustability is much better than a motorcycle lift jack.  That would be the only concern I would have but with proper blocking could be done.

Down Time  , on Flickr
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

TexasStroker

Yeah, I do like the style like you have better...nice to have the traditional handle.  I've never used a transmission jack and the add-ons are almost the same price as a dedicated jack.  I liked the idea of having a pan pad like TCI, and wondered if the motorcycle jack would give better height, better clearance, and a wider, padded surface.

I may size things up this weekend and see if I can find anything with enough lift.  For this project, I would just be supporting the transmission, but moving forward with the old cars it could be really useful.

Your bike pairs well with your username btw  :2thumbs:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Gold Rush

There is a better design lift that looks more like a conventional floor jack but I don't have a photo of that one.  Here is what my jack looks like solo.  You might have to improvise a table to go under the tranny pan as the lift point. 

1500 lb Lift 1  , on Flickr

Thanks for noticing the connection...  Actually that is exactly where the screen name came from.  Shortly after buying the bike I woke strait up in bed thinking "I HAVE GOLD"..   One thing led to another and a few months later had this professionally painted on the trunk lid.

Whiskers 1  , on Flickr

24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

TexasStroker

Very cool!

I will get out tonight, or tomorrow and measure the height...it may be the limiting factor on the truck.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Got under the truck and have about 17" from the ground to the pan...it is  a deep pan and roughly 20" from the ground to the rail.

Almost all of the jacks I've seen stop around 14-15" for lift height...the ones that go taller have really low weight ratings and must be intended for mini-bikes or something.

I still think it is a good idea and would work well for the cars, but the truck just sits up too high.  Might try to work something out with wood and bottle jacks.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

69rtse4spd

Lower the truck, take tires off, let the air out of tires, or raise the jack, mount it on a home made dolly or a store bought dolly. If you are only doing this one time see if you could rent one. Just some off the wall ideas, good luck.

TexasStroker

I'm working on some ideas...will run with it as I need to support the transmission...kind of thinking two bottle jacks and some channel iron and chain will work.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Gold Rush

Just for grins I went out and measured my lift fully extended (17.5").  It would not fit under your truck tranny pan in that extended position so with the added thickness of a padded table adapter I'm convinced it would work well.  It's some sort of cheap brand but forgot which years ago.  Guess I've gotten my $68 worth out of it for sure!!!   ;) ;) ;)

Daytona R/T SE

Go out and buy yourself one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/transmission-jacks/450-lbs-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

They're cheap.

They work good.

They have wheels.

And if you're like me and work alone all the time, you'll find a hundred other uses for it.

I used mine to put the back bumper on my car.  :Twocents:

TexasStroker

Quote from: Gold Rush on December 08, 2019, 06:36:04 AM
Just for grins I went out and measured my lift fully extended (17.5").  It would not fit under your truck tranny pan in that extended position so with the added thickness of a padded table adapter I'm convinced it would work well.  It's some sort of cheap brand but forgot which years ago.  Guess I've gotten my $68 worth out of it for sure!!!   ;) ;) ;)

Yeah, sounds like it has paid for itself at that price!  I like the traditional hydraulic lift better, especially for use with a bike.
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 08, 2019, 11:49:52 AM
Go out and buy yourself one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/transmission-jacks/450-lbs-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

They're cheap.

They work good.

They have wheels.

And if you're like me and work alone all the time, you'll find a hundred other uses for it.

I used mine to put the back bumper on my car.  :Twocents:

Glad you posted that because it shows a max lift height of 23 1/4."  That would support the transmission and get it back up if need be!

I also tend to work solo and anything that can serve as a 3rd arm or leg quickly pays for itself.  I will probably pick it up next time I'm at HF!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!