News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's my best route?????

Started by Charger_70, December 05, 2019, 06:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_70

Hello guys, Im trying to find a engine and trans that best fit my needs. Ive gota few options to choose from but seems like they all need work before i can just drop them in and thats basically what im looking for is something i can drop in. Only changes would be intake, headers, carb and maybe a cam later on. Don't want nothing for strip be all street but i want that great v8 sound with a quick get up and go and maybe a burnout from time to time. My options so far are a 1978 440 from a motorhome it has motor and trans and has 35000 miles on it but ive heard i can't use trans without making a few changes to it and that the rv motors are crap..... Not sure if thats coming from guys that go to the strip or what also that the water pump would have be changed and oil pick up as well. My other option is a 1966 383 engine its just engine alone no trans that looks pretty good but not sure if it would be a drop in or if changes would have to be made and then finding a 727  trans to fit, ive always thought there was just one but ive heard some have short or long tail shafts. My last option is a 360 magnum from a truck but ive heard you have to change a lot to get them to drop in and find a 904 or 727 transmission. Whats my best route to go here???? It will be going in a 70 charger it has the 8 3/4 rear with 323 gears. Any help is greatly appreciated.

chargerbr549

If it was me I would put in the low mile 440 engine and find a car oil pan setup and car and pickup type transmission, I believe alot of the motorhomes use the bolt on rear yoke and the car and 2wd pickup usually use the slip yoke instead. Depending on what type of motorhome and what side you need the waterpump housing to exit on you could possibly use the motorhome one or the 383 engine might be a good donor for the waterpump and the oil pan setup depending on what its out of.

JB400

How about dropping in the 383, and then rebuilding the 440 with a set of heads and a cam? 

Charger_70

I can only choose one of them. Ive heard the 383 would drop in but would have to find a trans for it, my only concern with it is would it give me what i wanted out of it.

Charger_70

Quote from: chargerbr549 on December 05, 2019, 09:52:33 PM
If it was me I would put in the low mile 440 engine and find a car oil pan setup and car and pickup type transmission, I believe alot of the motorhomes use the bolt on rear yoke and the car and 2wd pickup usually use the slip yoke instead. Depending on what type of motorhome and what side you need the waterpump housing to exit on you could possibly use the motorhome one or the 383 engine might be a good donor for the waterpump and the oil pan setup depending on what its out of.
could i use the trans that came with the motorhome if the tailshaft just needed to be changed? Or is the trans useless from a motorhome ?Thx.

chargerbr549

You should be able to use the trans from the motorhome if you change the tailshaft and tailshaft housing but make sure when you are swapping those parts that you get an output shaft setup from a 76-93 transmission otherwise there will be compatability issues in the spline area.

Kern Dog

The motorhome engines are usually always low miles. Who commutes in a 26 foot motorhome ??
The main problem with the motorhome engines is the low compression ratio. They had pistons in them that sit way below the deck at TDC. This is because they were designed to NOT knock while pushing heavy loads up hills. Most of them had approx 7.5 to 1 compression!
You can change the heads and gain almost a full point of compression but it is still going to be low. A decent street engine should be between 9 to 1 and 10 to 1.
Sure, you'll read from guys that run 8.5 compression engines and are happy. THat can happen. To get more than 8.5, you'll need to replace the pistons.

Charger_70

Quote from: chargerbr549 on December 05, 2019, 11:44:43 PM
You should be able to use the trans from the motorhome if you change the tailshaft and tailshaft housing but make sure when you are swapping those parts that you get an output shaft setup from a 76-93 transmission otherwise there will be compatability issues in the spline area.
ok. Is it possible that the motorhome trans might have the slip yoke instead of the bolt in? If it had the slip yoke all i would have to change would be the water pump and oil pick up and then it be ready to drop in. Guess i need to find that out.

Charger_70

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 05, 2019, 11:46:07 PM
The motorhome engines are usually always low miles. Who commutes in a 26 foot motorhome ??
The main problem with the motorhome engines is the low compression ratio. They had pistons in them that sit way below the deck at TDC. This is because they were designed to NOT knock while pushing heavy loads up hills. Most of them had approx 7.5 to 1 compression!
You can change the heads and gain almost a full point of compression but it is still going to be low. A decent street engine should be between 9 to 1 and 10 to 1.
Sure, you'll read from guys that run 8.5 compression engines and are happy. THat can happen. To get more than 8.5, you'll need to replace the pistons.
would you suggest the 383 ? Or you think i should go with the 440 ? It sounds like 383 would be my easiest way to meet my goals and what i would like, i just hate at the end wishing i would have went with 440 and just make changes as i go.

RallyeMike

Go with the cubes and low miles on the 440. It will also have the converter matching the cast crank. Find another long tailshaft 727 to bolt onto it. Yes the motorhome engines are low compression but there is nothing wrong with them - they just make less HP. I have had a 1978 440 motorhome engine to 140mph with nothing but headers, eddy intake, and holley 750.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

green69rt

PM sent.

Just so other know and can advise.  I just offered the 727 trany, out of my 69 charger.  It was a 383 2bbl column shift.  I don't know how compatible with what the OP needs or wants but it may make his decision easier.  :shruggy:

Charger_70

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 06, 2019, 11:54:14 AM
Go with the cubes and low miles on the 440. It will also have the converter matching the cast crank. Find another long tailshaft 727 to bolt onto it. Yes the motorhome engines are low compression but there is nothing wrong with them - they just make less HP. I have had a 1978 440 motorhome engine to 140mph with nothing but headers, eddy intake, and holley 750.
I got to talk more to the guy that has the 440 plus trans and yes his has a different tailshaft, is the tailshaft the only thing i would have to change to make it work? Thx.

Charger_70

Quote from: green69rt on December 06, 2019, 04:51:46 PM
PM sent.

Just so other know and can advise.  I just offered the 727 trany, out of my 69 charger.  It was a 383 2bbl column shift.  I don't know how compatible with what the OP needs or wants but it may make his decision easier.  :shruggy:
Thx for the help, i will definitely keep it in mind. Im gonna check 1st and see if the tail shaft is the only thing i would have to change on this one.

Charger_70

Quote from: green69rt on December 06, 2019, 04:51:46 PM
PM sent.

pm sent

RallyeMike

Quoteis the tailshaft the only thing i would have to change to make it work?

Finding and changing out the motorhome tailshaft is probably not as easy or convenient as easy as coming up with a complete long tailshaft trans. Then just use the converter and flex plate from the 440 and you are good.

You'll need kick-down linkage. Hopefully the motorhome guy has that as well.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Challenger340

You can NOT "just" change to the longer passenger Car tail shaft on a motorhome short tail shaft 727 trans.... you have to dis-assemble the entire Transmission and change to the correct length/longer output shaft as well for use in the passenger cars.... which IMO,  means you might as well just rebuild it complete while you are in there.

Motorhome 440's are basically pretty slow ?
meh.... whatever, add a Comp Cams XE268H and a Saturday Night special Trq Converter and go have fun.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

green69rt

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like there is no budget to work with here. So snag both motors, drop the 440 in and deal with only having 200 hp for now. Save up and build a stroker out of the 383 block later down the road.