News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona clone project arrived today

Started by tmaleck, December 06, 2019, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmaleck

Thanks again to Joe for helping me move toward my holy grail car.  He was great to deal with and the transport guy did a nice job as well.  Looks like the NOS rear glass and plug made it Ok.  I'll start unpacking this weekend and figure out what's next.  My first question is the decklid.  Is it a Daytona only piece?
Tim

chargervert

That looks like a Superbird nosecone. Cool project,I got two of them in the works myself.

RallyeMike

QuoteMy first question is the decklid.  Is it a Daytona only piece?

The same deckled is used on the Daytona and 1969 Charger 500. Its a regular 69 Charger lid that has been shortened.

Looks like you have some work ahead of you!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on December 06, 2019, 07:11:37 PM
Maybe he can make a Supercharger clone.

The Supercharger still used a Daytona nosecone (customized) the SB nose cone is to "large" to hang on the Daytona sheet metal

DAY CLONA

Quote from: tmaleck on December 06, 2019, 02:03:29 PM
 My first question is the decklid.  Is it a Daytona only piece?
Tim

You'll need to locate a Daytona/C500 deck lid (good luck $$$$$$$) or use a closeout panel to fabricate a Daytona/C500 lid from a 68-70 stock deck lid (each year deck has it own underside peculiarities), you'll also need Daytona/C500 hinges as well

wingcar

Yes, the eagle eyed members are correct, it's a Superbird nose cone.  He already knew he was getting a bird nose and not a Daytona.  I am sure he would be open to trading and or buying a Daytona nose.  He also got an nos Daytona deck lid.  Yes it's a project....but it is rust free for the most part...so it's a great starting point for a clone.........,.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

djcarguy

:2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers:   Finaly some pix,Thanks .what the bird nose is 2 "wider,an maybe more curve on sides of nose ???   :popcrn:

djcarguy

So what plans are you going for .  just build for fun an driving ?  or long boring total rebuild,years in pieces,mega dollar parts an paint then it sets in a garage to look at ?   so any plan coming to you,see  other post for parts an set up info.

Me I would check out engine ,trans ,an rear. rebuild brakes an fuel systems.clean interior an install seats . is back window still in it,an trunk lid?

hang fenders an nose with any lites  just so its legal and have it running by May and have a summer of fun driving it. then maybe do proper nose an lites.an someday down the line do the back window ?  your car now so just asking,,about forgot think maybe new tires??  :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :cheers:

tmaleck

Quote from: djcarguy on December 13, 2019, 07:12:41 AM
    So what plans are you going for .  just build for fun an driving ?  or long boring total rebuild,years in pieces,mega dollar parts an paint then it sets in a garage to look at ?   so any plan coming to you,see  other post for parts an set up info.

Me I would check out engine ,trans ,an rear. rebuild brakes an fuel systems.clean interior an install seats . is back window still in it,an trunk lid?

hang fenders an nose with any lites  just so its legal and have it running by May and have a summer of fun driving it. then maybe do proper nose an lites.an someday down the line do the back window ?  your car now so just asking,,about forgot think maybe new tires??  :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :cheers:
This is pretty much the plan.  I want to drive it and have some fun.  Then next winter do a decent restoration.  I have a 68 Charger that's been stuck in restoration for 2 years already, don't want another one of those right now .
Tim

djcarguy

tmaleck

Right now we'll get through the holidays.  I emptied the boxes and took inventory, and I'll get a list of needed parts.  The body guy was by last week and says it's a good solid start.  More to follow ...
Tim

71ChallengerSE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 06, 2019, 07:30:41 PM
Quote from: tmaleck on December 06, 2019, 02:03:29 PM
Tim

You'll need to locate a Daytona/C500 deck lid (good luck $$$$$$$) or use a closeout panel to fabricate a Daytona/C500 lid from a 68-70 stock deck lid (each year deck has it own underside peculiarities), you'll also need Daytona/C500 hinges as well

So its my understanding that the closeout panel is no longer being made at all? I have been looking for one for like 6 years.

djcarguy

Quote from: 71ChallengerSE on February 29, 2020, 09:53:00 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 06, 2019, 07:30:41 PM
msg1695324#msg1695324 date=1575659009]
Tim

Start a thread about your project an parts needed ?looks parts for sale----  daytonaR/T SE had nose cone an parts forsale here  ??? DJ

So its my understanding that the closeout panel is no longer being made at all? I have been looking for one for like 6 years.

70 sublime

So have you made any new head way on your project ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

djcarguy

:icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question: :icon_smile_question:   whats happening with this WING project  ???    ?????? :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tmaleck

I am trying to finish my 68 Charger resto but facing issues with the shop.  Once that is done I'll move onto the wing project.  I have a young  helper at my bike shop wanting to help, so I hope to have it in at least 'Roadkill condition' this fall.  Once we make progress I'll share some info here.