News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel leak, found but need help

Started by lukedukem, December 06, 2019, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

I recently found a leak were the tube goes into the tank. but I was gonna ask the community if anyone has tackled this before and what's the best way. I'm guessing dropping the tank and go from there. but should I replace the other gaskets that go with the tube while I'm here, the trunk one and the fender?. If so were are you guys getting these parts from? I have include a pcs of the issue and of the pic in the FSM of what gaskets need replacing

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

TexasStroker

I think this is what you need:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/charger/parts/mf296.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI66exq4ii5gIVQdbACh2cSQGgEAQYASABEgLQC_D_BwE

They've got the other gaskets too.

I run fuel cells in the old cars, so I'm not much help, lol.  That said, I was recently thinking about using a motorcycle jack for a transmission and think you could do the same for the fuel tank...large area, padded...should make things a lot easier assuming you've got a lot of gas in the tank.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

will

That's the right seal that TexasStroker mentioned. No need to drop the tank. Remove the gas cap, slide the filler tube down and turn it so you can remove it. Once you have the tube out pull that old seal off and put the new one on the tank. Lube up the seal and the filler tube and reinstall.

green69rt

Quote from: will on December 06, 2019, 05:32:29 PM
That's the right seal that TexasStroker mentioned. No need to drop the tank. Remove the gas cap, slide the filler tube down and turn it so you can remove it. Once you have the tube out pull that old seal off and put the new one on the tank. Lube up the seal and the filler tube and reinstall.

:yesnod:  Also disconnect the little overflow/vent line that goes into the floor, probably just a hose clamp.  And if you do it this way you'll probably need a new cap-to-quarter seal.

lukedukem

Quote from: green69rt on December 06, 2019, 06:18:42 PM

:yesnod:  Also disconnect the little overflow/vent line that goes into the floor, probably just a hose clamp.  And if you do it this way you'll probably need a new cap-to-quarter seal.

I thought I'd need one for that. So I shouldn't worry about the trunk one. I'm not sure if it's ever been replaced.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

green69rt

Quote from: lukedukem on December 06, 2019, 06:36:41 PM
Quote from: green69rt on December 06, 2019, 06:18:42 PM

I thought I'd need one for that. So I shouldn't worry about the trunk one. I'm not sure if it's ever been replaced.

Luke
Only change the trunk floor seal if it tears.  How brittle does it feel?  Maybe just unscrew it from the floor and let it hang free while you work on the tank grommet.  It's not that expensive, if you don't want to wait on delivery of a new one just order it and change it out at the same time, new rubber is nice.

lukedukem

I can test it when I get off work in the morning. I might do all three just so I have peace of mind.
Plus, I'm not in a hurry to get it done so waiting for all the parts to show up is ok

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

green69rt

Quote from: lukedukem on December 06, 2019, 08:02:01 PM
I can test it when I get off work in the morning. I might do all three just so I have peace of mind.
Plus, I'm not in a hurry to get it done so waiting for all the parts to show up is ok

Luke

In that case I would do all three.  Time is not of the essence and the dollars are small.

lukedukem

Thanks Mitch.
So as far as parts, I have the link to the tank part. I have this link for the trunk part
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/charger/parts/mb1684.html

But I'm not sure of the gasket between the gas cap and fender.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/charger/parts/m265.html

It doesn't say if it's for my specific application. Plus when I open my cap I have three screws not six

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

green69rt

I would swear that the flip top gasket looked like this.  White foam.  Just don't remember.  IIRC the seal  is just a water seal to keep water out of the trunk.  The gas seal is part of the flip top cap so just use what you can find and make sure it's a good seal.   :shruggy:

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=3035020

Edit, I think I found it.  If you look at this page you'll see the filler gaskets, among others.  If you call, they will sell individual gaskets.  I think that's what I did.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/b-body-1969-69-charger-paint-exterior-gasket-set/

lukedukem

I went ahead and torn it apart while waiting on parts to arrive. Thankfully I have an electric fuel pump, I just ran a hose to a can and pumped out about 2 gallons, the level was right up to the filler hole. I then removed the three screws holding the cap on and rotated the tube 180° and pulled it out. I then cleaned up the opening and will wait for parts. One of the pics shoes the gasket that goes in-between the tube and fender, paper?
Excuse the rusty floor. maybe someday it will get replaced.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

b5blue

lukedukem

so I got my parts in but have one more issue. in the pic I posted it has a lip, and my last one had it installed lip facing down. I would have to flip it over from the way I'm holding it. is that right? and do you cut the hole out or cut a slit in it. it didn't come cut.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

green69rt

Mine wasn't like that at all.  Mine had a metal plate like yours but it was not solid and was embedded in the rubber seal rather than exposed.    The metal was just around the perimeter so I didn't cut the metal.  Also, the hole for the tube was already cut.  Where did that come from?

Edit - took another look at yours, maybe it's covered with rubber, but still no pre-cut hole.

Found a pic of mine before installation...

b5blue

Cut a round hole after checking alignment. My very old one has seal bending upwards from floor. Where did you get that part? I want one that I can pick where to cut the hole in.

lukedukem

I got the parts from classic industries, OER packaged. here are some better pics of what I have. the first one you can see the metal border, and it matches the old one. now the second pic I should've posted last time. it shows the other side and the thicker rubber with the thin hole. the third pic shows it best, the metal outside and different thickness of rubber. i'm working nights this week, but when I get off Friday morning I will try to tackle this and just cut the thinner rubber out. wish me luck.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

b5blue

lukedukem

update.

I finally got around to installing these parts.

first pic is of the tank gasket installed and lubed up. I had to use bearing grease.

second is tube in and tank gasket on

third is final install.

no leaks.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

green69rt

Looks like mine, and yes, I had to use lubricant to get the tube into the round gasket.

:2thumbs: