News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front disc brakes locking up

Started by John Milner, December 08, 2019, 05:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

My front disc brakes started locking up on my 68 charger. The front discs are single piston floating calipers. They are new and the lines are new. The master cylinder is a stock one for manual drums. Could this be the issue?

c00nhunterjoe

Locking up as in skidding, or locking up as in they are stuck? If its skididng, did you change the drum distribution block with a disc proportion valve?

John Milner

They aren't skidding, just holding pressure it seems like. For instance, when I am approaching a stop sign I can let off of the gas and it feels like I'm pressing the brakes. The car will still drive, the front calipers just don't seem to be releasing. I just got through restoring the car so it doesn't have many miles on all of the new parts. I didn't use a disc proportioning valve. I just used 73 single piston disc brakes, new stock 68 master cylinder and all new lines. I wasn't sure if maybe the drum master cylinder has a residual pressure valve built in it or something that might not let the caliper fully release?

chargerbr549

On a drum brake master cylinder you will need to remove the residual pressure check valve for the front disc brakes (thats what I did) or just install a disc brake master cylinder that fits your application, that would be one of the first things I would try.

John Milner

I ordered a master cylinder that is for manual disc brakes (1976 Plymouth Volare).  I'll start there and see if that fixes the problem. 

b5blue

John Milner

The Volare manual disc master cylinder did the trick. It stops as it should now.

c00nhunterjoe

Fwiw, i run disc/drum with the drum distribution block and have no problems on the street or track with proportion.

John Milner

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 14, 2019, 11:51:44 PM
Fwiw, i run disc/drum with the drum distribution block and have no problems on the street or track with proportion.

Good to know.  I drove it quite a bit last weekend with the new master cylinder and it seemed to do well with just running the drum distribution block. We'll see.

b5blue

I added a NOS Mopar Performance bias adjuster. Made for track racing it's a big brass affair with a large green knob. From the instructions it was intended to be installed so the knob could be turned at the dash to compensate while racing. I actually need to go out in a light rain an re test bias as I've put about 3K on a front disk upgrade and brake overhaul. (Per Disc-O-Tech outline.)

chargerbr549

Another way to adjust the front to rear bias besides using an adjustable proportioning valve is if the rears are wanting to lockup before the fronts you can go to a mid 70's half ton dodge pickup and get the smaller 7/8 wheel cylinders part #WC37236 which is what I did on my 69 Charger, I believe the factory rear wheel cylinder size is 15/16's. Or if your fronts are locking up you can go to the 2.60 bore front calipers I believe were on the 73-75 A bodies instead of the more common 2.750 bore calipers. Doing this may or may not be enough to help your bias but it worked for me.