News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Bullet" Mustang coming to Auction soon.

Started by b5blue, December 09, 2019, 10:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I love this car's story, bad ass movie car turned family's only ride. Now expecting to bring million+ in early January. Did they sort out the Bullet" Charger and would it be cool to see both together one last time?   

Mike DC

The surviving Bullitt Charger is not confirmable.  The paperwork doesn't exist.  Not at Chrysler or at the movie studio.

The case for the Charger's authenticity is circumstantial.  A person who was willing to spend enough time looking at behind-the-scenes pics during filming, and finding a '68 R/T 4spd that was built & sold at just the right time & place, could theoretically fake it.  It might someday be possible to prove that the car is faked, but it probably cannot ever be proven real for sure.  

IMO one of the bigger selling points in favor of the Charger, is that in 50 years there have never been any other contenders.  It may/many not be real, but its the only car that has ever occupied the position of being the real one in people's minds since 1968.     

6pkrtse

Such a cool car and even more cool history that the family has hung on to it all these years. Personally, I wish his son would keep it. I am guessing 4 mil+ to the next guy that just has to have it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Ghoste

I agree with both the opinion on the Charger and the estimate on the Mustang.  I would love for the Charger to be proven, but right now its just circumstantial.  That Mustang is hitting all the right points to set a record and I think it will be in the millions as well. 

c00nhunterjoe

I remember when it came out of hiding and it would "NEVER be for sale so dont ask"

Ghoste

For a long time it wasn't.  That was the whole reason it went into hiding, even McQueen tried to buy it at one time.

alfaitalia

I would not mind a small bet that it does not reach much over 2 million......If it gets that high.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

I dunno.  The Bullitt Mustang is pretty high on the list of desirable muscle cars.  There is hardly much above it. 

But I think it would have brought more money (inflation adjusted) once or twice in the past.  The best time to sell it was probably during the bubble-inflated economy of the mid-2000s. 

chargervert

Supposedly the second bullit Mustang was found in a Mexican junkyard is being restored too. It was confirmed by the Marti report to be legit.

Mike DC

It's kind of amazing that any solid restorable '68 fastback body would be sitting neglected in a Mexican junkyard in this decade. 

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on December 14, 2019, 10:12:12 AM
Supposedly the second bullit Mustang was found in a Mexican junkyard is being restored too. It was confirmed by the Marti report to be legit.

Maybe Marti was paid off?   :lol:

I worked in Mexico. Happens all the time.  :yesnod:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

Craig Jackson supposedly found a Shelby notchback prototype in a Mexican junkyard, so it doesn't surprise me what's out there

HANDM

Mike DC

Ford's documentation from that era is better than Chrysler's.  If the numbers on the Mexican junkyard car aren't literally faked on that body (big 'IF') then it's probably the real thing.  

Also, IIRC the correct numbers weren't publicly known before it was found.  It would probably require an 'inside job' to fake it.

I'm perpetually surprised that none of the 'Vanishing Point' (1971 version) cars have ever turned up.  That was five 1970 Challenger R/Ts.  Four of them were 440/4spd/Dana cars.  They were mechanically flogged at the end of filming but none had major body damage.