News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blackout Superbird Headlight Area

Started by Repsol17, December 10, 2019, 10:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repsol17

Hey all,

The nose on my Bird was repaint and the headlight decal was never re-installed.  I just received the new decals from a place that's predominantly used for these reproduction decals.

I also have a short video that shows Graveyard Carz installing the headlight on a Bird with the partially painted blackout headlight area prior to the decal installed.  This area looks to be painted about 3/4" completely around the bucket hole.

My question is:  What color black was this from the factory that will match the factory decal color ?  The decal appears to be a satin black.

I actually bought a rattle can of Krylon Fusion All-in-one Satin black and did a spray out on some scrap metal then laid the decal next to it and it looks to be dead-nuts !

Thanks
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green

DAY CLONA

A satin black sheen that matches your decals would be fine... however the nosecone opening and headlight door should be painted with the same sheen as your going to see a rim of exposed paint on both areas after the decals are applied...

Personally I wouldn't use commercial "spray can paint" from any of the big mfg's of these products, it's an inferior product, no UV protection from preventing it from fading, chances are it will "gray out" rather quickly... if you insist on using "spraycans" go to your local automotive paint mixer/supplier and have them load an automotive grade paint/color/sheen of your choosing into a spraycan for immediate use.

Either backtape (rolling the tape back on itself after being applied) or taping a rolled cloth edge around the nosecone door opening to produce a soft over-sprayed edge when painting around the perimeter around the door opening will prevent paint edge transfer lines from forming under your decals  after they are applied, which will be seen by hard taping an edge as you have already done, fortunately your working an area which can be repaired and repainted with no noticeable rework,

Stop watching GYC, as that will only lead you down the wrong path to a proper restoration...

Mike

Repsol17

Great info/advise  :yesnod:

Going to my local paint supply biz near me was my plan.  I wanted to find as close a match as possible on a test piece of metal so I didn't have to drag the decal around trying to match it.

I wasn't even sure if there was a particular paint code that was used and known. So I started with a Satin which appears the correct color.

Using a 2k spray bomb would be idea but if I need to use my spray gun I have no objection to that as well.
1970 Bird 440-4 bl Sublime green