News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing a dakota digital dash

Started by denver98, December 11, 2019, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denver98

I'm about to install a DD dash.  My question is about the amp gauge wires.  Is it safe to splice them together?  If not a spice, what is the safest way to delete the amp gauge? I searched the site and really couldn't find a definitive answer.  (If it somewhere on this site I missed it.)

Thanks,
-Scott

Rolling_Thunder

The amp gauge wires can be spliced together since you wont be using an amp gauge - you can butt splice and heat shrink them and call it a day -  you;ll just use a 12V source for your volt gauge in the cluster
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

green69rt

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 11, 2019, 04:47:25 PM
The amp gauge wires can be spliced together since you wont be using an amp gauge - you can butt splice and heat shrink them and call it a day -  you;ll just use a 12V source for your volt gauge in the cluster

Yes, that's the quick way.  But a little more effort would result in removing that hi current flow thru the bulk head connector completely.  Ask Nacho.

Kern Dog

Lately, Nacho has been trying to convince people to retain the ammeter and the stock wiring path.
I'm not buying that.
I also installed a Dakota Digital gauge set and while I had the stock gauges out, I made several wiring changes.  ALL ammeter wiring paths were changed.
I ran the alternator charging wire to the 3/8" stud at the starter relay with a fusible link at the end. I took another wire and ran it into the interior to replace the ammeter wire. It starts at the starter relay using another fusible link. Inside, the wire runs to the factory welded splice. This is a junction of positive feeds that branch off to the headlight switch, the ignition switch and the fuse panel.

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 11, 2019, 08:12:19 PM
Lately, Nacho has been trying to convince people to retain the ammeter and the stock wiring path.
I'm not buying that.
I also installed a Dakota Digital gauge set and while I had the stock gauges out, I made several wiring changes.  ALL ammeter wiring paths were changed.
I ran the alternator charging wire to the 3/8" stud at the starter relay with a fusible link at the end. I took another wire and ran it into the interior to replace the ammeter wire. It starts at the starter relay using another fusible link. Inside, the wire runs to the factory welded splice. This is a junction of positive feeds that branch off to the headlight switch, the ignition switch and the fuse panel.

:2thumbs: I think I did something very similar, now the only current that goes thru my bulkhead connector is for the dash, interior and taillights.  All charging current stays in the engine bay.