News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard Fraudz- New Season

Started by NHCharger, December 16, 2019, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

After I finished my Daytona Clone and it got a bit of exposure I ended up talking to the guy who invented that body over build at West Coast Customs.Sean Mahaney. He was the heavy set guy who did all the metal work to put the two cars together. He gave me a little insight into the behind the scenes goings on and the main take away which I suspected was true was that all of the show projects are rushed pieces of crap. He said the producers ask for the moon and the shop owner took it out on the employees to deliver on unreal schedule to satisfy filming requirements. After working sometimes 80 hours a week (40 of which were unpaid) on some super crap builds Sean quit and started his own business building custom performance wheel chairs. Sadly while he had a good business going he was killed in a motorcycle accident on his way to a charity event. Hit and run. I was really grateful to have been able to talk and get to know him. Very nice guy. Very talented. Not the baffoon they caricatured him as in the show.

TONY

just wanted to let you all know,  GYC will be going back to how it used to be the previous couple of seasons ABOUT THE CARS.

they had received input from Motor Trend wanting the show to be more about people + stories then cars. we all know how that went.

so it'll take a couple of episodes before you see the changes, but the episodes will be about the cars, like they should.

so be patient and if you enjoyed the show last season then you'll enjoy this season after the next couple of episodes.
if you never liked it, then you still won't then.

Mytur Binsdirti

I've heard it said that they should follow the "This Old House" formula featuring all info & no shenanigans or fake BS drama. It's the longest running series of its kind having been on the air almost 41 years, so they must be doing something right.

moparstuart

Quote from: chargervert on December 22, 2019, 08:15:05 AM
The best car show on television is full custom garage. The guy us an amazing metal fabricator! He inspired me to repair the roof on my 70 Charger R/T.
agreed and Ian can build anything out of almost nothing   

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

NHCharger

Hope you're right Tony. I started watching the last episode and all it was about was Mark's daughter interrogating the workers because someone didn't sign out a box of brake cleaner.
You can't blame all this on Motor Trend. When I first got Velocity last year and started watching it seemed like 20% of the show was dedicated to Mark dancing around the shop and generally wasting time. There are several other shows on MT TV mentioned above that didn't suddenly change course and become a fucking joke like this one has.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TONY

Quote from: NHCharger on December 23, 2019, 06:55:42 PM
Hope you're right Tony. I started watching the last episode and all it was about was Mark's daughter interrogating the workers because someone didn't sign out a box of brake cleaner.
You can't blame all this on Motor Trend. When I first got Velocity last year and started watching it seemed like 20% of the show was dedicated to Mark dancing around the shop and generally wasting time. There are several other shows on MT TV mentioned above that didn't suddenly change course and become a fucking joke like this one has.

But we cant assume that MT asked their other shows to change course either.

Maybe they figured Mark already liked to joke around and figured it would easiest for him to take it further,
But the bottom line is GYC realized that this wasnt the way to go and will be changing back, but like i said it will take a couple of episodes to see the change because its not like the episodes are filmed live, theyre "in the can" a few weeks ahead of when they hit the air.

Ponch ®

I've watched a handful of episodes since it's been one. Based on that sampling, the cars were good eye candy and  I liked Mark explaining things like why there needs to be overspray on the manifold bolts of a 1969 A12 car. On the other hand, the constant "trying to be funny" and insulting his employees scenes turned me completely off.

I liked Fantomworks, though there was a quite a bit of "this car is much worse than we thought and it's gonna need a lot more work than expected" schtick. Anyway, the Fantomworks guy ("DRS") was sued for fraud, breach of contract, and other causes of action a few years ago by a customer because he paid $6K for an accident damaged 2001 Crown Vic donor car, then billed the customer $7500 (including a 25% "parts markup"). The car had been advertised for $2K on craigslist. He beat the lawsuit and it was upheld in appeal bc the seller testified that he in fact sold the car to DRS for $6K* and because the customers had previously agreed to the parts markup, but c'mon...really, an experienced and knowledgeable car builder paid $6k for a wrecked 01 Crown Vic?

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/va-supreme-court/1682313.html

*there were allegations by the plaintiffs that DRS only paid $2k for the car, and the seller was in cahoots with him on stating it sold for $6K.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mopar John

I started watching this show because of it's Mopar content.
From the beginning I have always recorded it to fast forward through all the commercials.
Early on I also fast forwarded through Mark's goofy stuff!
The other problem that I have had is the way they use the term OE restorations when using large amounts of reproduction parts.
Recently I watched the first 3 episodes of this season and couldn't believe how BAD it was!
If it doesn't change it will be gone!
MJ

Ryan

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 16, 2019, 10:39:39 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on December 16, 2019, 07:52:18 PM

Mark and his lead painter admitted that they had some sub-par employees do some shitty work. They highlighted a blue R/R. Said they had to tear the car completely apart and start over again.

That statement right there, shows that no one is watching nor instilling any quality control, besides the show is just smoke and mirrors anyway, just check out some of the finished work when it shows up at SEMA or other events, the lack of skill and quality, as well as amateur/rookie mistakes abound on their finish work...

Mike

i've seen the bronze 68 charger they did in person and while i wouldn't exactly kick it out of the garage I would be beyond pissed if I paid a shop for the work they put out.  Paint was sub par, numerous date correct parts replaced with stuff from the auto parts store, lose fasteners ect ect.....   Car is now elsewhere being sorted out by someone who knows what they are doing
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

TexasStroker

Haven't been able to catch new episodes, but the fact we have a show with ALL MOPARS and a guy that for all intents and purposes looks to really be "Mopar or No Car" means something to me.

Networks are just like individuals on YouTube...drama, even by way of misleading titles and clickbait thumbnails sells ads and gets more views.  Bad publicity?  That just gets more people tuning in to see what everyone is complaining about.  A guy doing a straight forward rebuild that walks you thru every step is going to dwindle in comparison to some hack who can title videos with all caps and photoshop thumbnails.  A regular, old guy with a wealth of experience, knowledge, and the ability to convey the information can't stack up with a younger kid that can game the system.  Take that 20 something who simply fans cash for other people to do the work and replace him with a chick and you have a real cash cow.  Sadly, that is just how it works.  YouTube's algorithm isn't going to reward the 60 year old free styling a fully hand built car; it will, however, force feed generic, repeat junk content into your feed.  Network TV and subscription services behind paywalls follow the same logic.  What show gets the highest ratings?  Take their formula and apply it to your other shows.  It isn't an ideal application of logic, but that is how it goes.

The fact that GYC is flexible is a good thing to me.  For as many people that want a straight up lecture on gold standard restos, there is an equal (and likely larger crowd) that wants to see the antics most here are complaining about.  I'd say watch the show and if you enjoy it, let them know why.  If you watch and hate it, leave the constructive criticism.  I'd rather have GYC on than a similar show schilling mustangs, camaros, or corvettes.  If people complain to get more tech and resto bits, it needs to reciprocate with the ratings or the show will try something new or be forever lost.

For what it is worth, if any of you are on Twitter Mark actively responds to both good and bad takes on the show.  If we all gang up on him maybe we can get more Charger content,  :lol:

Again, I'll take GYC in any configuration over some brand-x show....Just my  :Twocents:

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

b5blue

Well put. My take was the network asked for more ham it up interpersonal hoopidy doo. Funny how you see the improvements to guys/company's grow after the show run longer. Great marketing tool and free advertising/promoting.   

Old Moparz

Reality TV is a joke no matter what the subject is. In my daily life I avoid drama entirely, so why the hell would anyone purposely tune in to see it?  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 21, 2019, 02:48:54 PM
Scripted drama pays the bills. There will never be a series of successful car restoration documentaries.

Absolutely right! Just look at Roadkill!

and the funny part... none of the ones downing this show own a shop nor a show. Mark laughs all the way to the bank! He's a salesman! No different than Richard Rawlings.

b5blue

I don't know about others but Direct TV has so many commercials by the time the show is back on I really don't want a session on Goober plays a trick on Spanky for yuks. I just grab the remote and scram.

Ghoste

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 29, 2019, 11:52:51 AM
Reality TV is a joke no matter what the subject is. In my daily life I avoid drama entirely, so why the hell would anyone purposely tune in to see it?  :lol:

Amen brutha!!

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on February 05, 2020, 09:03:32 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on December 21, 2019, 02:48:54 PM
Scripted drama pays the bills. There will never be a series of successful car restoration documentaries.

Absolutely right! Just look at Roadkill!

and the funny part... none of the ones downing this show own a shop nor a show. Mark laughs all the way to the bank! He's a salesman! No different than Richard Rawlings.

I can promise you, nothing on Roadkill is scripted.  I wish it was, it would make things much easier.

Chargen69

Quote from: b5blue on February 05, 2020, 09:17:04 AM
I don't know about others but Direct TV has so many commercials by the time the show is back on I really don't want a session on Goober plays a trick on Spanky for yuks. I just grab the remote and scram.

the commercial load is why I quit watching, cant imagine they will change enough for me to come back.  I glance by it ever once in a while but I don't stay long on it

gtx6970

Ive never watched a full episode. And doubtful I ever will.

The clown act just seemed weird .

lukedukem

Quote from: Chargen69 on February 07, 2020, 09:37:38 AM

the commercial load is why I quit watching, cant imagine they will change enough for me to come back.  I glance by it ever once in a while but I don't stay long on it

I have the motor trend app and you can skip the crap and there's no commercials

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mytur Binsdirti

I haven't been following the show, but while flipping through the stations, just caught an episode yesterday & my takes were; Mark is dying his hair & he looks ten years older than he really is.

ACUDANUT

[/b]
Ever heard of the record button  :shruggy: :shruggy:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 09, 2020, 12:33:00 PM

[/b]
Ever heard of the record button  :shruggy: :shruggy:

All I hear here is that the show isn't worth watching, so why bother recording?

Chargen69

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 09, 2020, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 09, 2020, 12:33:00 PM

the commercial load is why I quit watching, cant imagine they will change enough for me to come back.  I glance by it ever once in a while but I don't stay long on it
[/b]
Ever heard of the record button  :shruggy: :shruggy:

All I hear here is that the show isn't worth watching, so why bother recording?

I only ever DVR'ed it, but when you get tired of fast forwarding through commercials I guess that means it wasn't worth it

b5blue

I have antenna and dish. (Same as "cable") Commercial breaks are less over the air. Much of the excess commercials are cable self promoting other shows at an insane rate. Not G.C.'s fault on rate/length of breaks just it lowers WTF threshold.
  I like Mark and crew much more than the guys who bag/slam/big wheel everything.