News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Graveyard Fraudz- New Season

Started by NHCharger, December 16, 2019, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: b5blue on February 10, 2020, 09:12:10 AM
 I have antenna and dish.

Uncle Martin had you beat with two antennas, and while he may not have had a dish, he did have a saucer.

Kern Dog

I watch the show but have never saved an episode for future reference.

chargervert

All he does these days when he is not clowning around, is sit in a chair and brag about how he thinks he is the guru of all things Mopar! Putting his daughter in charge of quality control plueeeeze! Making the film crew actual characters on the show,shows the true lack of actual content! It reached the point of being completely unwatchable!

ACUDANUT

I reached that point many moons ago.  Mark is a buzzard nosed clown who can't afford a nose job.. All talk, with very little action.

426Hemi

Hello, I'm D.L. Watson, director, and producer of Graveyard Carz. I read through this forum and felt some of the misconceptions could be clarified.

Whether you believe these answers are entirely up to you. Whether you like the show or not is also your opinion, and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. We've had criticism of the show since 2012, when it first started, and we've consistently pulled in great ratings on the network.

To address some points:

Quote from: NHCharger on December 16, 2019, 07:52:18 PM
Anyone catch the the new episode of GYC last week??
Mark and his lead painter admitted that they had some sub-par employees do some shitty work. They highlighted a blue R/R. Said they had to tear the car completely apart and start over again.
I was dozing off and on thru the show (as usual). But I thought I heard Mark say that he was putting his daughter in charge of the shop and quality control  :smilielol: :smilielol:  This is the same daughter that just last year he was showing her how to install parking lights and side maker lights.

I feel asleep before the end of the show so I don't know if at the end of the show Mark yelled "April Fools" or not. Anyone else see this and verify that I wasn't dreaming? If true if I had a car in line there for any work I'd be yanking it ASAP.

Mark had quality control issues in the shop. This is a reality that every business, no matter what, experiences. I felt it was better for the show to be transparent about the issues rather than pretend they never happened.

The very fact that he admitted the problem and showcased that he took the car back to square-one should show the level of commitment the shop has to making sure they're delivered right.

I hoped people would have appreciated this aspect of the show just as much as Mark's customers have.

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 16, 2019, 11:44:01 PM
I'm not ready to bury the guy BUT when he had the hippie idiot from Magnum Farce suspension there to aid in installing his shitty front end parts, Mark's standing in my opinion fell several notches. Unless you are in a band, there is no sensible reason for a man in his 50s to look like that guy.

I don't understand this criticism. Is it that because you don't like the way he looks that his parts are garbage? Ron is a great and down-to-earth guy and we find his products the best out there when it comes to putting modern engines into these old muscle cars.

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 17, 2019, 02:59:25 AM
That show is all about "Buzzard Beak". (Mark) ..Worthless stupid talk. If they aired one car at a time, from start to finish I would watch it more.

lol. Mark does have a big nose.

People are going to talk on a TV Show. If you spend five minutes in a restoration shop, the crew is going to talk, bitch, moan, and pull pranks on each other to make light of the hard work they're doing. That's the "reality" of most jobs. If you're building a car in your garage, then I understand if your silent.

And we'd love nothing more to have a car done per episode. However, we finish about 8 cars a year due to the painstaking detail and effort it takes to complete a car.

Why so little every year? When GYC started, Mark was out to prove that he could restore ANY car, in ANY condition. And that means he's taken on a lot of cars that need ALOT of work.

And we agree to make 26 episodes per-year with Motortrend (one of the most of any show on the network, by the way).

So, with all that said, we showcase every detail of the restoration. What you see in an episode is, for the most part, a reflection of what happened the week or so we filmed a few months before it aired.

But multiple times a season, we do mash-up episodes that feature the entire restoration process of a car, from arrival to delivery. We have one airing this Friday for our 1 of 8 1971 'Cuda Convertible.

426Hemi

Quote from: NHCharger on December 20, 2019, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on December 20, 2019, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 20, 2019, 01:01:52 PM
I was surprised that Mark hinted the business couldn't survive without the show.
Interesting, yet others claim he's paying for the show out of his pocket.. so which is it! LOL
Hmm, I must have been snoozing when he said that.
There was another show on MT called Fantom Works which I liked. The owner chose to cancel the show stating it was too intrusive and cost him time and money. claims he is almost a million dollars in debt when he ended the show. That doesn't ring right to me. At anytime they had 50 to 90 cars in the shop.

The answer is simple: both.

You see, before the show Graveyard Carz existed, Mark was the owner of a collision repair shop called Welby's Car Care (still the official name of the restoration business). He worked on Mopars as a side-gig because it was his passion.

When GYC was picked up and became a success, the show provided him exposure to showcase his skills and shift the business to Mopar restoration full-time.

He no longer does collision repair.

If the show were to get canceled (not likely due to our ratings), the restoration business would suffer.

The reason why is because the show provides him with sponsors. This benefits the customer too, because Mark charges FAR LESS than most restorations services out there.

If the show were canceled, the sponsors will pull out. Mark would have to pay full-price for those products. In turn, he'd have to charge customers full-price. And that *could* reduce the amount of potential customers he could have at any given time.

And it's true: Graveyard Carz is an independently produced show. Mark pays for it all. So - even if we were canceled - we'd still exist in some way. But we have a great relationship with Motortrend and hope to continue to grow with them for years to come.

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 21, 2019, 05:10:27 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on December 21, 2019, 03:14:16 AM
Dan from Fantom Works is a drama queen.
You're not kidding. Every car that comes in has "hidden" surprises, but to him, they are catastrophes, which makes him angry, and then it's time for a commercial break. Such false drama.

There's no secret that we "edit" these sequences at the end of an act to leave people in suspense. But we have to worry about commercial breaks. And every commercial break is an opportunity for people to change the channel.

So, in a way, we all hate commercial breaks.

But I will say, editing aside, these "oh shit" moments are genuine.

Even at its wackiest times, there are no scripts generated to the show. The heavily criticized "fake drama" is Mark trying to recreate his favorite moments from pop-culture. He hams up the camera.

Mark's a big kid. Some people understand and laugh. Others, as I see here, tend to just get pissed and I feel sorry for their kids.

Quote from: b5blue on December 21, 2019, 09:03:46 AM
I agree, he pretends to be upset at making more money.  :scratchchin:

The truth is we don't make a lot of money for the show. It's the choice Mark makes to own the IP and have creative control of the show.

Quote from: Mopar Nut on December 21, 2019, 03:50:42 PM
I don't know, Wheeler Dealers takes their work serious, no drama on that show.

Unfair comparison. We love Wheeler Dealers but it's a totally different show than us.

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on December 22, 2019, 02:57:45 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on December 21, 2019, 02:48:54 PM
Scripted drama pays the bills. There will never be a series of successful car restoration documentaries.

And what's funny is all these guys talking smack usually fit in one or both categories:

1) they have never done any restoration or fabrication work in their life.

2) They aren't good enough at a sales pitch to get a TV show.  :icon_smile_big:

Seriously, after reading Richard Rawlings biography, I came to realy respect the man and appreciate how many of these shows get on the air. They man has been desolate broke five times over in his life. By his own admission, because he was a lecherous shithead. Through all that, and his love of cars and being a damn good salesman, he sold a network on Gas Monkey. My guess is that Worman is't much different. He sold the network on just what you said, [art drama, part comedy, mixed with is obvious love for cars and a pretty solid knowledge of all things Mopar. Love him or hate him, he has a show and we don't

I should say that when Mark pitched the show to Velocity back in the day, they weren't interested in a show "just" about Mopars. They didn't think the niche could support a long-term show.

We basically gave them the first season, which Mark paid for out of his pocket, just to prove its viability.

The landscape is different now and networks are looking for something "different" than what has been established so far.

Quote from: Stevearino on December 22, 2019, 06:23:00 PM
After I finished my Daytona Clone and it got a bit of exposure I ended up talking to the guy who invented that body over build at West Coast Customs.Sean Mahaney. He was the heavy set guy who did all the metal work to put the two cars together. He gave me a little insight into the behind the scenes goings on and the main take away which I suspected was true was that all of the show projects are rushed pieces of crap. He said the producers ask for the moon and the shop owner took it out on the employees to deliver on unreal schedule to satisfy filming requirements. After working sometimes 80 hours a week (40 of which were unpaid) on some super crap builds Sean quit and started his own business building custom performance wheel chairs. Sadly while he had a good business going he was killed in a motorcycle accident on his way to a charity event. Hit and run. I was really grateful to have been able to talk and get to know him. Very nice guy. Very talented. Not the baffoon they caricatured him as in the show.

That's a sad story. And that kind of thing can happen.

However, we sell the show to Motortrend as a pre-sale acquisition. This means Mark is in control of the overall product. He just agrees to a timeline of when the episodes will be delivered.

With that said, Mark still gets nervous when it's time to talk with renewing the next season - just as you saw in the first episode of the new season.

And because Mark is paying the film crew to shoot the show, that's why you see footage of him unsure if the network will renew when you see it on TV. At the time of filming that, the network hadn't agreed to the new season.

I hope that clears up some things.

426Hemi

I can't resist

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 10, 2020, 02:10:49 PM
I reached that point many moons ago.  Mark is a buzzard nosed clown who can't afford a nose job.. All talk, with very little action.

All the cars restored with "little action".

ACUDANUT

Well then. How about one car at a time like phantom works (awesome show). No stupid idle time with Mark flapping his gums. Show the work. Start to stop. :Twocents:

426Hemi

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 10, 2020, 03:21:47 PM
Well then. How about one car at a time like phantom works (awesome show). No stupid idle time with Mark flapping his gums. Show the work. Start to stop. :Twocents:

We'd love to, but the cost associated with that is exactly why Fantom Works is no longer a show. We just can't do it with our restorations.

Kern Dog

Thanks for chiming in. I do enjoy the show most of the time.
I stand by my comments about Ron Jenkins and Magnum Farce suspensions. He looks like an an unemployed Rock band roadie and his parts are junk. I didn't like the Al Quaeda looking guy from Fast and Loud either.
I also think the dork from "My Classic Car", Denis Gage looks like a total idiot with that gay hat and mustache. I don't begrudge a person for a deformity. A haircut or clothes are easily changed though.
If you're on TV, your appearance matters.
I actually like Mark's antics. I act in much the same way, thinking what I say is funny even though there are many that are not as impressed.
I think that it is fair to state that putting the daughter in charge of Quality Control was just another way to get her in front of the camera. Sure, she is a nice looking woman but is SHE really qualified? Really??  Can she possibly know if they used the correct hose clamps, did the proper ink stamps, decal placements, headlight aiming, wheel alignment, weld spacing in floor pans, etc?
Cousin Douggie seems to alternate between looking normal and smart to being a clueless window licker. Is that an act? Is he directed to appear like the guy from "Sling Blade" ?  The young blond guy seems smart and competent. Dave Rea was a great asset. Sorry that he left the show.

Finally, I really doubt that even ONE car guy cares to see the producers or film crew...at all....ever. It does not pertain to the cars and we do not care at all. They may be great guys but they don't add anything to the show. It is like extra regulation or additional taxes to citizens of the state.

birdsandbees

So while we've got you.. can you tell me if Mark owns shares in Rhino liner, the "OE" bottom coating of champions?!  :scratchchin:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Kern Dog

Good point. Why not just paint the underbody?

Chargen69

"and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise."

and then goes and posts three of the longest posts...

doesn't matter, the fact is a lot of us stuck it out the first 3 seasons because of the cars, and now it isn't worth it anymore

b5blue

Appreciated response 426, My comment on "then acts pissed he's making more money" was to/about previous Fantom Works comments not G.C. and Mark. Having actually worked in a shop that did both restoration and repair with a bit of racing I had hopes that the show was going to be more saving rather hopeless Mopars.   

426Hemi

Quote from: Chargen69 on February 11, 2020, 06:33:09 AM

doesn't matter, the fact is a lot of us stuck it out the first 3 seasons because of the cars, and now it isn't worth it anymore

It's more accurate to use the entire quote rather than cherry-pick a section to derive an entirely different context.

I said: "Whether you like the show or not is also your opinion, and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise."

By cherry-picking my quote, you created the false assumption that my 'long post' tried to change your opinion of the show. It did not.

If you don't like the show, change the channel.

ACUDANUT

I still say, less b.s. talk and more action/work. Mark needs to act like a professional.

426Hemi

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2020, 02:24:41 PM
I still say, less b.s. talk and more action/work. Mark needs to act like a professional.

The show is what it is and that will never change.

If you need Mark to change, then the show is not for you. His professionalism derives from the builds themselves, not his wacky personality.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 426Hemi on February 11, 2020, 04:50:17 PM

If you need Mark to change, then the show is not for you. His professionalism derives from the builds themselves, not his wacky personality.

Yes, I will move on. I like to a see a professional at work, not a ass clown doing 6 digit cars.  I understand it takes 3-5 years and 100k Plus to finish a car these days, at his shop.   :RantExplode:

Kern Dog

Quote from: 426Hemi on February 11, 2020, 04:50:17 PM

I like the guy.
Serious people bore the hell out of me. Give me pranks, sarcasm, inappropriate racial and sexual humor and I'm entertained.
I don't watch these shows to learn, I watch them to see people and things that I identify with.

lukedukem

I just watched the new one about the cuda convertible. And I like how they started from the tear down all the way through the end in one episode. Kinda catches you up and finishes it. Wish more where like this but I understand.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

TexasStroker

Quote from: 426Hemi on February 10, 2020, 02:33:46 PM
Hello, I'm D.L. Watson, director, and producer of Graveyard Carz. I read through this forum and felt some of the misconceptions could be clarified.

Welcome...

For everyone complaining, the bigger question at hand is how did a guy register in December 2019 and get "426HEMI"  as a handle?!  That should have been taken years ago :lol:

I've said what I thought of the show and stand by it.  As long as y'all can keep an all Mopar show on the air I will support it. 
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

GreenMachine

Quote from: TexasStroker on February 12, 2020, 12:00:07 AM
Quote from: 426Hemi on February 10, 2020, 02:33:46 PM

Welcome...

For everyone complaining, the bigger question at hand is how did a guy register in December 2019 and get "426HEMI"  as a handle?!  That should have been taken years ago :lol:

I've said what I thought of the show and stand by it.  As long as y'all can keep an all Mopar show on the air I will support it.  

I agree, I'm all for an all Mopar show. Seems like if you see a Mopar being built on another show, they're trying to turn in to a Chevy, or all the other custom stuff out there. I would like to see more of the history of the cars though, as the cars are the stars really (wasn't that the main purpose of the show in season 1?). Maybe even show the cars months later after the owners have had them for awhile and what they've done with them. But I get it if the owners want privacy.

Having said that, the first few episodes of this season were VERY hard to watch though. If that were to continue, I don't think I would've continued to watch it as the entire show focused way too much on the crew and barely showed the cars.

As for Mark, I get his humor/ballbusting, it's not offensive to me. In fact very mild compared to some workplaces. I'm looking forward to seeing his take on the "My Cousin Vinny" courtroom skit.

BTW, when Mark and Tony were picking through the convertible to find salvageable parts, I thought I heard Tony say he sells his used parts for the same price he pays for them. If that's the case, maybe UNICEF is finally getting into the auto salvage business!!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Chargen69

Quote from: 426Hemi on February 11, 2020, 01:03:13 PM
Quote from: Chargen69 on February 11, 2020, 06:33:09 AM

It's more accurate to use the entire quote rather than cherry-pick a section to derive an entirely different context.

I said: "Whether you like the show or not is also your opinion, and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise."

By cherry-picking my quote, you created the false assumption that my 'long post' tried to change your opinion of the show. It did not.

If you don't like the show, change the channel.

whole quote or not, you're here to change opinions

and don't worry about me I did change the channel, and your being here aint helping anything

A383Wing

Some of us were talking about Mark and the show in the Aero Car group on Facebook.....his lack of knowledge, lack of professionalism, corner cutting on the cars, poor workmanship, etc.....

One of the guys said, "I wouldn't trust him to work on my lawnmower"

And we all agreed

Bryan

Topher

Quote from: A383Wing on February 12, 2020, 03:19:58 PM
Some of us were talking about Mark and the show in the Aero Car group.....his lack of knowledge, lack of professionalism, corner cutting on the cars, poor workmanship, etc.....

One of the guys said, "I wouldn't trust him to work on my lawnmower"

And we all agreed

Bryan

Have you looked at any of the cars up close? Pitiful is a much kinder word than it really deserves.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com