News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this motor worth the way it sits ?

Started by 70 sublime, December 17, 2019, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Just trying to learn what stuff might be worth when I see something come along

So I see an ad for a 1969 440 short block with this stuff done to it

440 short block. Was built at Atchison in london a few years ago. Fresh and never run. Forged crank .010/.010 . Resized LY rods ARP bolts. Block is .030. With L2295 pistons. Decked .. line honed. Gear drive. Solid roller cam shaft. .660 lift .308 duration.. no lifters

Are these parts good that they used ?
I have never seen pistons that stick up like that before
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

c00nhunterjoe

The 2295s are an old school style piston to try and get compression up, thus the domes. Not my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice. They are heavy, Quench area is terrible, so many other better options. Dont like gear drives. The ly rods are ok for stock, but again, oldschool and much better options that are new and not 50 year old recut parts. If it were me, i would pass. I suspect they want a pretty penny for it anyway.

70 sublime

Asking $2500 Canadian

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/guelph/1969-440-short-block/1477990002

When I have never seen any one on here use that type of piston is what made me ask

Challenger340

The "idea" with the L2295 was to build the flat portion of the Piston opposite from the Dome .050" down from the decks at TDC..... with the actual Dome "Volume" of 12CC's intended functionally to run as if you had a completely Flat Top Piston with no flycuts running at ZERO Deck !
Making any sense here ?
The "Volume" the L2295 Piston is down from the Deck @ TDC is identical to the "Volume" of it's Dome = ZERO deck Piston functionally.

and hence...
why the one Picture  peaked my interest seeing the Dial Bore Gauge  ?
Because LOTS of guys when using those Pistons used to mill the Block Decks .050" right away to get Full effect of the Dome Volume to raise Compression Ratio.... but I can't SEE the dimension in the Picture well enough to guess how far they Decked the Block ?
And it wouldn't make any difference anyway because where they have the gauge is useless... all they are doing over there is checking Piston "Rock" in the Bores ? To check where the Piston is a TDC you need a Deck "Bridge" and measure over closer to the center of the Piston inline with the wrist Pin..... suffice to say the Block does appear to be substantial Milled on the decks ?

Back in the day old school when there wasn't much else to run.... and dating myself here,
but we'd use the L2295's by Decking the Blocks .050" immediately.... THROWING AWAY the Heavy 228 Gram Pins that came with the L2295's in favor of the "stock" FM Pins at 190 grams.... then we'd proceed drilling/lightening etc. all just to get them down to around 990 to 1,000 grams Total Piston & Pin.
They would work fine with well prepped LY Rods/ARP Bolts...... shouldn't say this but many a 440 ran year after year at 6,500+ rpm shift points no problems

As always here....
CHECK what VERTICAL BEARING CLEARANCES are present...
Mains ?
Rods ?
Crank End Thrust ?
Pin-Fit ?
Piston to Wall ?
Ring End Gaps ?
Block Milling ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Just food for thought here- a 572 rotating assembly will cost you 2200, a 440 core is around 4-500.

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 21, 2019, 04:36:22 PM
Just food for thought here- a 572 rotating assembly will cost you 2200, a 440 core is around 4-500.

I think the OP is in Canada ?

$2200 USD Stroker Kit by the time it gets up to Canada, delivered with Brokerage/Taxes etc. ?
may well be....
$3,300-$3,500 CAD ? more or less depending but ballpark ?
just say'in....
then Machining... etc., etc.

c00nhunterjoe

I was never a fan of that piston. Lots of better options. Even at 3500 out of pocket, at least then you will know exactly what you have, and what is being machined, and you wont have a deck that is cut to hell requiring alot of intake decking. And you wont have a 50 year old set of rods and crank either. Too many questions on that ad for me. Partially built but been sitting for a few years? Grainy and improperly placed dial indicator photo. Nah, walk away.

70 sublime

Yes I am in Canada and Canada US exchange rate is $1.31 Canadian to get $1 US

So $2200 US is $2882 plus shipping and fees
So those parts are closer to $3000 by the time I see them

Thus my reason for asking about this motor as it sits 

c00nhunterjoe

I would walk away. Spend that money building one. Aside from all of the unanswered questions from the seller- how were they planning on running a near 0 deck domed flat top piston with no valve releifs on a .660 lift cam? Another red flag for me.

Challenger340

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 22, 2019, 04:11:27 PM
Yes I am in Canada and Canada US exchange rate is $1.31 Canadian to get $1 US

So $2200 US is $2882 plus shipping and fees
So those parts are closer to $3000 by the time I see them

Thus my reason for asking about this motor as it sits 

$2,882.00
       $72.05          Pay by VISA 2.5% Premium to "Visa's" exchange rate
  $3,338.00

And that's if you drive down and Pick it up at a depot on the U.S. side on your own ?
     $100 Gas for the day trip ?

Challenger340

Realistically.... nobody wants a half built old Engine that was never completed with No Warranty ?

and IMO....
you shouldn't either ? unless you plan on sending it somewhere for dis-assembly, gone through/checked ?
which.... IMO...
at maybe around $1,000 a guy could consider it with far more info on Block Milling, Clearances present, etc,., etc.