News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proper cam for my combo

Started by Rayzor, December 24, 2019, 12:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

looking for suggestions on a cam for my combo. Car is all street but might see some stop light action. Im looking for some good rumble. My build is all forged 440 lower end with 2355 pistons, decked .0010.
Heads are marsh built 84 cc sidewinders with his bowl port work and comp dual springs and moly retainers, I also have crane iron adjustable rockers. I am guessing to be around 10.1 compression.
Intake is holley street dominator and 870 cfm Holley street avenger, exhaust is 1 7/8 hedman headers and 2 1/2 exhaust out the back. Car is 68 charger auto currently with hughes 3000 stall converter. And rear axle is a 3:55 SG. Cam wise I wouldn't mind a solid but a roller is not in the budget. Thanks for any suggestions. Power wise I wouldn't mind being able to say 500+ horse.

justcruisin

xs282s, just check compatibility with your springs. There are some proven combos with that cam and similar combos as yours on this site. Touted as the default 500hp cam in a 440. There is a you tube clip with a 68 charger 440 xs282s cam, that will give you an idea of what to expect sound wise. I have that cam on my shelf but haven't got around to fitting it yet. Check it out.

c00nhunterjoe

pro451bee

If you don't want that much chop have it ground on 112 or get a mopar 528 cam , idles like a kitten but rips and lots of torque for big car.

XH29N0G

I've seen the xs282s recommended a lot.  Just looking around and saw another comp I hadn't seen before (https://www.compcams.com/magnum-250-250-solid-flat-cam-for-chrysler-383-440.html) that made me wonder what is the difference between it and the 282 (and the 528 for that matter)  In what situation would one choose one over the other?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

firefighter3931

The XS282S solid is an excellent choice for Rayzor's proposed build. I recommended that cam for Vegas Mike's build several years back. Here is a good writeup with dyno numbers :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 24, 2019, 09:32:52 PM
I've seen the xs282s recommended a lot.  Just looking around and saw another comp I hadn't seen before (https://www.compcams.com/magnum-250-250-solid-flat-cam-for-chrysler-383-440.html) that made me wonder what is the difference between it and the 282 (and the 528 for that matter)  In what situation would one choose one over the other?

The 290S is an older/slower version of the XS282S....meaning the lobes are milder and it has more seat timing so the idle will be a little rougher.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rayzor

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 26, 2019, 03:36:04 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on December 24, 2019, 09:32:52 PM
Those both look like decent grinds. Have you tried any of the Lunati voodoo hydraulic grinds? I putting an eye on there 704 cam. Not sure if it will deliver what i am after though.

The 290S is an older/slower version of the XS282S....meaning the lobes are milder and it has more seat timing so the idle will be a little rougher.

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rayzor on December 26, 2019, 05:10:15 PM
Those both look like decent grinds. Have you tried any of the Lunati voodoo hydraulic grinds? I putting an eye on there 704 cam. Not sure if it will deliver what i am after though.

The VooDoo hyd cams are great but with a hyd lifter you are RPM limited.....5800rpm is about all you want to spin a juice cam. Hyd lifters don't mix well with high rpm and are prone to stability issues caused by lifter pump-up and/or collapse. That being said you can still make good power. You definitely want a rev limiter if using a hyd lifter type cam.

I recommended the 703 cam for Bill's 440 6-pack and he really likes it. Here's a good read with details of the build and dyno numbers :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52477.0.html

Ron

justcruisin

Here is my experience with fast rate hyd FT cams, ex275hl, 440. Runs pretty good, never lost a lobe after 7 years in the engine. Took it to the track, shifted at 5500, no problems. A few months later I tried 6000 rpm, power fell off, but no problems. Not long after, the engine developed a ticking noise which got worse. I pulled the rocker covers and found a push rod had come out of the cup, (PRW stainless), the pushrod was sitting on the edge of the cup and had worn a grove in the pushrod, hence the noise. I am sure it was a result of too much rpm and lifter collapse. The car has sat for months at a time and I have never had a lifter bleed off to the point were it was noisy on start up, hence my thinking of a collapsed lifter. The PRW cups are not very deep which wouldn't help. Anyway, I have since set my limiter to 5500 and I have a nitrided XE282S to throw in at some stage.