News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It is stumbling only under hard acceleration and while driving

Started by johnnycharger, December 27, 2019, 09:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on December 31, 2019, 09:07:14 PM
I am not sure if that sounds strange or not.  There is a diaphragm that will compress, and I believe it will do so when you move it like you did.  That could be the noise. 

I also do not think that the vacuum secondary not opening would cause it to fall flat.  My reasoning is twofold. First,  I can drive in a quite spirited ways after diabling the secondaries on my car. Second, I had an old two barrel car and it did not fall flat when I floored it. 

I wonder if the secondaries are not opening is a consequence of the issue you are facing rather than the cause of it.  I thought that secondaries open when the flow through the primaries is high enough to draw a vacuum on some orifice connected to that vacuum pot. So I would think with the engine stumbling that it is not pulling a lot of air and therefore not likely to open the secondaries fully if at all.

I think you are right. That really makes sense. Thank you.

johnnycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 31, 2019, 09:27:33 PM
Quote from: johnnycharger on December 29, 2019, 12:37:00 PM
I can rev it up like an 18 year old with a mullet and it doesn't skip a beat....

Nobody called you on this but I noticed it. Funny stuff!
Carburetors ......If you are willing to drive,  I'd let you try one of mine that was recently rebuilt. I also have a  ThermoQuad that was rebuilt a year ago but has been in a box since then. You'd have to drive past Sacramento to get it . Whether that is worth your time or not, that is up to you.

I knew you would catch that one🤣.
I really appreciate the offer. Thank you very much. I may take you up on it but I still want to try a few things first. 👍👍👍

Canadian1968

Watched the video. That sounds fine. You are hearing the diaphragm in the secondary canister being compressed and released . Did you remove the accelerator pump cam at all when you changed the inner gasket ? did you do the change on the car or did you remove the carb ?

Another way to test is to actually disengage the secondaries.  The car should run fine on only the primaries until  you get to your higher rpm (4000 + rpm )  when you reach the limits of the primary alone . Even then you just notice lack of power it should not fall on its face or stumble

Have you checked your float levels as well ?

Kern Dog

Float levels...I should have mentioned that.
I had a fuel starvation problem where the car ran fine at cruise but would sometimes starve out on hard acceleration. The fuel pump must have been going bad because the clear filter would show hardly any fuel in it sometimes. The pushrod was fine. I switched to a Carter HV pump and a regulator and since then, no problems PLUS no vapor lock like I'd sometimes have. The regulator has a return line to the tank so the gas runs either to the carb or back to the tank.

johnnycharger

Quote from: Canadian1968 on January 04, 2020, 11:41:01 AM
Watched the video. That sounds fine. You are hearing the diaphragm in the secondary canister being compressed and released . Did you remove the accelerator pump cam at all when you changed the inner gasket ? did you do the change on the car or did you remove the carb ?

Another way to test is to actually disengage the secondaries.  The car should run fine on only the primaries until  you get to your higher rpm (4000 + rpm )  when you reach the limits of the primary alone . Even then you just notice lack of power it should not fall on its face or stumble

Have you checked your float levels as well ?
I changed the accelerator pump on the car. Just the diaphragm.

johnnycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 04, 2020, 12:58:23 PM
Float levels...I should have mentioned that.
I had a fuel starvation problem where the car ran fine at cruise but would sometimes starve out on hard acceleration. The fuel pump must have been going bad because the clear filter would show hardly any fuel in it sometimes. The pushrod was fine. I switched to a Carter HV pump and a regulator and since then, no problems PLUS no vapor lock like I'd sometimes have. The regulator has a return line to the tank so the gas runs either to the carb or back to the tank.

I started second guessing the pump so I reread everything and my pump was spec at 5psi. Holley told me the carb needed 6psi so I ordered another one at 6psi. Just installed it and it did not fix it. I does seem to have made a very slight improvement but I don't know if I am just over analyzing it now.

johnnycharger

I adjusted the floats that were too full made no change.
I disconnected the secondary again no change

XH29N0G

Im flummoxed.

It sounds like you have some information.
Fuel level is OK. 
The squirt through the nozzles is fine - you see it come out as soon as you move the throttle and the pump shot lasts for about 0.5 to 1.5 seconds - correct?
The fuel pump should be fine since you tried two. 
The bowls fill up at idle.
It is not the secondaries because you disconnected them  - how did you disable the vacuum secondaries?

For me, this leaves:
the fuel pressure (delivery under load or after driving) (unlikely though because you probably can start your test from idle when the bowls are full),
fuel delivery due to something else with the high speed circuit of the carburetor on the primary side,
something with the ignition or gas as suggested by KD.

Swapping the carb is a possibility.

At this point, if it were me, I would probably go back and recheck everything  with the ignition.
Are there any other possible symptoms.   
Is the timing fine? 
What type of ignition do you have?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

johnnycharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 04, 2020, 06:06:39 PM
Im flummoxed.

It sounds like you have some information.
Fuel level is OK. 
The squirt through the nozzles is fine - you see it come out as soon as you move the throttle and the pump shot lasts for about 0.5 to 1.5 seconds - correct? Yes
The fuel pump should be fine since you tried two. 
The bowls fill up at idle.
It is not the secondaries because you disconnected them  - how did you disable the vacuum secondaries? Removed the lever from the linkage on the driver's side.

For me, this leaves:
the fuel pressure (delivery under load or after driving) (unlikely though because you probably can start your test from idle when the bowls are full),
fuel delivery due to something else with the high speed circuit of the carburetor on the primary side, I don't know anything about the high speed circut
something with the ignition or gas as suggested by KD.

Swapping the carb is a possibility.

At this point, if it were me, I would probably go back and recheck everything  with the ignition.
Are there any other possible symptoms.    Idle seems higher than before.
Is the timing fine?  I haven't checked it because I can't see as to how it would change on its own
What type of ignition do you have? Mopar electronic, firecore wires, new ngk plugs

I answered above. I tried to change the font color but it didn't seem to work.

XH29N0G

It is not the secondaries because you disconnected them  - how did you disable the vacuum secondaries? Removed the lever from the linkage on the driver's side.

I may be wrong, but I think this works for a mechanical secondary, but the vacuum secondaries are controlled by the pot on the passenger side.  The driver's side just works to force the secondaries closed when the throttle is released.  My guess is still that the vacuum secondaries are not opening, but you would need to disable it some other way.  I do not know if it can be held shut with some sort of thing holding the rod connection the vacuum pot (diaphragm) to the secondaries, if those can be disconnected there, or if the diaphragm can be disabled by opening the top and putting in a much stronger spring.  

fuel delivery due to something else with the high speed circuit of the carburetor on the primary side, I don't know anything about the high speed circuit
The high speed circuit is the jets (the only thing I can think of is they are blocked) or something related to how air and gas makes it through the metering block (primary side) and metering plate (secondary side).  Some hole would be clogged.  This would require removing/disassembling, cleaning, and rebuilding the carburetor.  I wouldn't start with this step.  I would instead swap another carb in (like the one KD offered) first as a check.  It could be your carb is fine.

Are there any other possible symptoms.    Idle seems higher than before.
This could be the idle screw or mix on the carburetor or it could be something like the vacuum advance. Otherwise, I am not aware that a faster idle is an indication of a problem.  
Is the timing fine?  I haven't checked it because I can't see as to how it would change on its own  I don't think it would change on its own either,  Just asking in case it had been changed.  I was grasping at straws.
What type of ignition do you have? Mopar electronic, firecore wires, new ngk plugs

For bold, type the text you want and then highlight and while highlighted press the bold key.  This puts slash b in brackets before and after the text that tells the site to make it bold.

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

Lots going on here. Couple quick tests.
-Secondaries disconnected
- verfy fuel pressure under full load
-Locked in a gear, bring rpm up to 3,000 rpm and then wide open- does it still stumble? If not, advance initial timing and retest.

DanielRobert

Holley carb? Did you try turning the adjuster spring nut and analyze if the shot is too much or not enough? Choke operating ok? Easy to overlook that part.

1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

johnnycharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 05, 2020, 12:11:58 PM
It is not the secondaries because you disconnected them  - how did you disable the vacuum secondaries? Removed the lever from the linkage on the driver's side.

I may be wrong, but I think this works for a mechanical secondary, but the vacuum secondaries are controlled by the pot on the passenger side.  The driver's side just works to force the secondaries closed when the throttle is released.  My guess is still that the vacuum secondaries are not opening, but you would need to disable it some other way.  I do not know if it can be held shut with some sort of thing holding the rod connection the vacuum pot (diaphragm) to the secondaries, if those can be disconnected there, or if the diaphragm can be disabled by opening the top and putting in a much stronger spring.   GOOD POINT.

fuel delivery due to something else with the high speed circuit of the carburetor on the primary side, I don't know anything about the high speed circuit
The high speed circuit is the jets (the only thing I can think of is they are blocked) or something related to how air and gas makes it through the metering block (primary side) and metering plate (secondary side).  Some hole would be clogged.  This would require removing/disassembling, cleaning, and rebuilding the carburetor.  I wouldn't start with this step.  I would instead swap another carb in (like the one KD offered) first as a check.  It could be your carb is fine.I WAS TRYING TO AVOID IT BUT I AM THINKING THIS SWAP MAY NEED TO BE THE NEXT MOVE.

Are there any other possible symptoms.    Idle seems higher than before.
This could be the idle screw or mix on the carburetor or it could be something like the vacuum advance. Otherwise, I am not aware that a faster idle is an indication of a problem.  
Is the timing fine?  I haven't checked it because I can't see as to how it would change on its own  I don't think it would change on its own either,  Just asking in case it had been changed.  I was grasping at straws.

For bold, type the text you want and then highlight and while highlighted press the bold key.  This puts slash b in brackets before and after the text that tells the site to make it bold.

johnnycharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 05, 2020, 12:32:19 PM
Lots going on here. Couple quick tests.
-Secondaries disconnected
- verfy fuel pressure under full load
-Locked in a gear, bring rpm up to 3,000 rpm and then wide open- does it still stumble? If not, advance initial timing and retest.

As in power braking? See if it roasts them or stumbles? Am I understanding correctly?
This sounds like the most fun test yet.

johnnycharger

Quote from: DanielRobert on January 06, 2020, 09:19:15 PM
Holley carb? Did you try turning the adjuster spring nut and analyze if the shot is too much or not enough? Choke operating ok? Easy to overlook that part.

Yes it is a Holley. I did adjust the accelerator spring nut.  Electric chock seems fine I didn't pay much attention to it to be honest.

XH29N0G

Verify, but I think C00nhunter means to cruise in gear (in 1st or 2nd) at 3000 and then floor it from the cruise.  This should have the mechanical advance largely in and the carburetor should have transitions to the high speed circuit (jets and boosters). I have not gone wrong when following his suggestions. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

By now I'd say pull the plugs and check condition/clean and check gap, check inside the Dist. cap for carbon tracking/cracks. While in there check rotor and that advance movement is smooth and springs back nicely. Undo and tighten ALL grounds. Battery and charging system condition? (Battery at full charge?) You have done enough farting around to possibly foul the plugs so get them to known readable condition. Have you checked the "quality" of the spark?  :scratchchin:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 08, 2020, 06:30:52 AM
Verify, but I think C00nhunter means to cruise in gear (in 1st or 2nd) at 3000 and then floor it from the cruise.  This should have the mechanical advance largely in and the carburetor should have transitions to the high speed circuit (jets and boosters). I have not gone wrong when following his suggestions. 

This

johnnycharger

Ok. When the rain stops I will try that.
Here is a link to what my new plugs look like.
https://youtu.be/eUEDfwLD8O0

DanielRobert

Maybe excessive blow by......change the plugs and see what happens. I would foul plugs really quickly with my pvc hooked up and too much idling with a lot of fuel/oil blow by never fully burning off the plugs. Falling flat and not recovering sounds like a stuck choke or running the bowl dry. Change carb after plugs.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

johnnycharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 08, 2020, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: XH29N0G on January 08, 2020, 06:30:52 AM
Verify, but I think C00nhunter means to cruise in gear (in 1st or 2nd) at 3000 and then floor it from the cruise.  This should have the mechanical advance largely in and the carburetor should have transitions to the high speed circuit (jets and boosters). I have not gone wrong when following his suggestions.  

This

Ok. I tried this and it stumbles and sputters. It seems like it has changed since I put in the new fuel pump. It still sputters and stumbles but not like it is going to shut off.
Here is the latest drive:
https://youtu.be/OIZE-qa47qg

DanielRobert

you sure the choke isnt stuck too far closed or the air cleaner isnt somehow pinching the choke butterfly rod? That would explain a higher idle since it would be running on the passenger side of the carb choke cam. Open the choke all the way and take off the air cleaner....then drive it to eliminate that part. It's running like a stuck choke(air) no fuel(dirt) or fouled plugs(even if new but fouled )  Also wondering at how strong of spark your getting at this point but need to eliminate the simple stuff.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

johnnycharger

Quote from: DanielRobert on January 09, 2020, 09:58:21 PM
you sure the choke isnt stuck too far closed or the air cleaner isnt somehow pinching the choke butterfly rod? That would explain a higher idle since it would be running on the passenger side of the carb choke cam. Open the choke all the way and take off the air cleaner....then drive it to eliminate that part. It's running like a stuck choke(air) no fuel(dirt) or fouled plugs(even if new but fouled )  Also wondering at how strong of spark your getting at this point but need to eliminate the simple stuff.

Great idea. Thank you. I will try this tomorrow (weather permitting).

Kern Dog

I had the 850 Demon rebuilt by a guy here in town. I removed the choke years ago and tossed all the parts but wanted one again. He found the LAST electric choke kit in the country...In Utah!
The first several cold starts had the car running excessively rich until it was up to temp. Black smoke, air/fuel ratio in the 10s and below. I adjusted the choke housing to where the butterfly was about 1/3 open at rest and it starts and runs great again. I can't imagine an engine that would run right with so little airflow that a fully closed choke butterfly causes.

johnnycharger

SUCCESS!!!  Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. I feel so silly.
I took the air cleaner off and she runs like a champ!   While looking to try to determine what the air cleaner base was interfering with I noticed my carb seemed to be leaking gas into it for about 5 mins after I turned it off. Here is another video. The boiling sound is what got my attention.

https://youtu.be/qMJTlCVpqnc