News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It is stumbling only under hard acceleration and while driving

Started by johnnycharger, December 27, 2019, 09:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Wow...I hope that you found the problem!
I'd suggest to change the oil before running the engine. All that fuel went either into the exhaust or past the rings and into the oil.  It surely diluted the oil enough to warrant replacing.

XH29N0G

Have you traced where the fuel is coming from?  and why? 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

johnnycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 12, 2020, 12:52:19 AM
Wow...I hope that you found the problem!
I'd suggest to change the oil before running the engine. All that fuel went either into the exhaust or past the rings and into the oil.  It surely diluted the oil enough to warrant replacing.

I am thinking it went out the exhaust. The dipstick doesn't smell like gas?

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 12, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
Have you traced where the fuel is coming from?  and why? 

No, it only did that the one time. Kind of odd.

c00nhunterjoe

That is either fuel boiling up or a sticking needle and seat. But if it did that for 5 minutes, i would lean to fuel boiling. Time for a blocked egr pan and coolcarb spacer.

DanielRobert

I agree with the above assessments....gotta think about fuel pressure that could be building up too.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

johnnycharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 12, 2020, 10:40:27 AM
That is either fuel boiling up or a sticking needle and seat. But if it did that for 5 minutes, i would lean to fuel boiling. Time for a blocked egr pan and coolcarb spacer.

Thank you. I used to have one of those fenolic(?) Spacers on it but my air cleaner keeps hitting my hood pad. Maybe that kept it cooler before?

johnnycharger

https://youtu.be/JdUWCZKMebM

After driving it again today I can see the gas is still running into the carb after it is off. I think this means it is the needle and seat.

XH29N0G

Fuel is coming out through the boosters.  

I believe needle and seat would be for the float and happen while there was fuel pressure (fuel pump on) and would stop when shut off.  Boiling would expand the fuel and push it through from inside and continue after shut off.  My guess is that the diagnosis will be related to expanding/boiling.

See what the others say.

How high is the fuel set in the bowls?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

You can double check the float level while its idling, but if it runs to that extent for 5 minutes after the car is shut off, its boiling.

johnnycharger

I have ordered the Cool Carb spacer. I will provide an update once I receive it.