News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Marvel's Mystery Oil

Started by lloyd3, December 30, 2019, 01:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 24, 2020, 04:16:17 AM
Quote from: 67tbird on December 31, 2019, 12:21:05 AM
The machine shop I go to uses a 50/50 mixture of it and wd-40 to keep stuff rust free and lubricated.

Sounds like something that just might work if the wife!    :2thumbs:

If the wife what ?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 24, 2020, 02:49:34 PM
The machine shop I go to uses a 50/50 mixture of it and wd-40 to keep stuff rust free and lubricated.

If the wife what ?

Obviously she caught me typing that & smacked me around before I could finish. Now I'm really finished.   :eek2:

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 25, 2020, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 24, 2020, 02:49:34 PM

If the wife what ?

Obviously she caught me typing that & smacked me around before I could finish. Now I'm really finished.   :eek2:

Sounds like this story did not have a happy ending....    :smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

fc7_plumcrazy

Quote from: GMP440 on January 13, 2020, 11:44:40 PM

"you use it to make a noisey lifter quiet?"

Carsten

Yes.   MMO quiets noisy lifters.  That's my experience.   Add it to the oil.  For example, a five quart oil system;  use 4 quarts oil and 1 quart MMO.  May take a few days to a couple weeks
     before the lifter cleans up and ticking goes way.  Once it stops ticking, change the oil again and just go back to 5 quarts of oil.

it worked.
Lifter got quiet

Carsten

Bad B-rad

Quote from: lloyd3 on January 01, 2020, 03:04:45 PM

Lots of old-timers (& who isn't these days?) used to pour ATF down the carb for exactly the same reasons. Occasionally this would reportedly produce the desired results.  The other possible result would be that the "crud" actually helped maintain what little seal that still existed. When it was gone, the rings were then really ineffective.

I bought a 1971 Plymouth Duster, in 1997/1998,(I was 17 or 18) and it only had 22,000 miles, but it had sat for long time, and the engine oil was like coal.
My grand pop  showed me two ATF tricks for cleaning out an extremely sludgy engine.
One was the down the carb trick with the ATF.
He did it with the car running, he used one hand to pour the ATF, the other to keep the engine running.
The second was to drain the engine oil, install new filter. Then when refilling the engine use a mixture 60% correct engine oil, 40% ATF. Next run the car up to full operating temp for 10 or so minutes.
Then drain the engine, change the filter, and refill with correct engine oil, and you are good to go.

He also taught me an old trick they used as a way of keeping engines clean. About a day or two before an oil change he would add one quart of ATF, or MMO,  drive it for a day or two, then change the oil.
He did mention not to tow or run the engine hard when driving it with this mixture prior to the oil change.
Back then ATF was mostly a mixture of hydraulic oil with tons of detergent, or cleaning agents.

Just a bit of info:
My grand pop was born in 1919, and after WWII became a heavy equipment mechanic, he started in the union in 1948, and "retired" in 1982.
He taught me all sorts of old school tricks, some may no longer work, for example, he told me they used to pour Coca-Cola on rusty tire beads and let it sit for a few minutes to help get the beads loose. They have changed what is in the soda, so this no longer works.

I have had great luck with MMO, and stuck engines myself.

XH29N0G

Excellent about the lifter.

lloyd3, thanks for the story.  Fun to read. 

I'll follow up with my old boat motor stories.  My dad got one of those old engines running (I think a 4 cylinder 35 HP from the 50's) and just passed it to my nephew who just turned 16.  They are boating and waterskiing with it.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....